Double Stick Carpeting

ksokalski

I have a repair that may be coming up that is double stick LL commercial pile carpeting. I am use to seeing the double stick in some higher end restaurants, but this is the first that I have seen with a LL commercial pile above it.

Well...there is buckling everywhere and is this something that just needs to be pulled up and then re-glued down to the padding? If so...what type of glue is used.

Also, there are seams everywhere that have not been seamed with seaming tape or sealed. I will be using the kool-glide to seam all of the seams.

The last question that I have is that along some of the "seams", the carpeting was cut with a 'wave' type cut. Why would somebody cut a seam into a wave, number 1...on any carpet...2 especially on LL commercial carpeting that was not even seamed together at the seams or sealed in the first place?

Kris

NOTE: I forgot my camera at the house this morning so I was not able to get any pictures of it.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
This is exactly why the whole double stick process failed. It was a marvelous system using the closed cell TredMore cushion but it failed due to poor adhesive application or the wrong adhesive.

Unfortunately in the early 90's many HWE cleaners were blamed for its failure. It had nothing to do with the cleaning.

To answer the question yes it will need to be pulled and the adhesive reapplied.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Treadmore cushion is an excellent double stick cushion. It is not always reccommended by the manufacture to tape seams. However the cool glide double stick tape is an exellent option. Main goal when doublesticking is this. Use a pressure sensitive glue for cushion to floor. Let it dry clear and get tacky. Roll cushion into the adhesive. Now for the carpeting this is where the failure begins. Most people are to cheap to use the reccommended trowel size . This will give you 9 to 12 yds a gallon.48 yds max or your not putting down enough glue. I reccommend a 1/8 x 3/16 x 18 trowel size. . Now most people roll the floor with a 75 lb roller. On double sticks a 35 lb roller is what we use. No- one should be allowed to walk in the work area for 24 hrs . If there is heavty traffic takes pictures after you warned . Nobody on work area. This is also another failure cause for double sticks.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Kris if they did not use the proper glue good chance the cushion will not come up with the carpet. You may have a great chance to reglue with the specs I gave you.

ksokalski

Where can I pick up the glue that you are talking about?

Also, do you know why they would cut wavy lines for the seams?

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
You need a premium glue not contractor grade . Go to a carpet supplyhouse in your area. Wavy seams . Because there animals . All this does is cut through the loops. They actually make a straight edge in that wavy form . Reason was for hiding seams in the sculptured carpet.

Stevea

Kris,

All the above, great information from Bill and Harry. Great installation if it works, I consider Double Stik as job security. (it fails and we get to work on it)

All I would add to the above, if it is in an area with tables being dragged across the seams,(which they almost always do), you may want to re-inforce some of these areas with hand sewing, use of an overcast stitch hidden, if the carpet will allow that. (this is in addition to the double sided Kool Glide tape)

Depending upon how badly it is loose, you may be able to secure it in several locations with the use of the Kool Glide and the utility tape, instead of trying to spread new adhesive. This is just a maybe since I do not know how bad it is and how large but it is something to think about. It would be nice to have some pictures and sizes and so on.

SA

Back
Top Bottom