Direct Mail

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
I have a newspaper that I advertise with, that every month they mail you a mailing list of 1,500 new home owners and new renters in my area. It would cost me $563 in postage. I have my business cards and flyers already made. I want to insert a welcome letter to them and describe my company. Do you think I would get good results from doing something like this or is a waste of my time and effort? How do you guys do on direct mail?

Thank you

John

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
John, I assume you are talking about putting all of that in an envelope together?

Direct mail has been my best return out of anything. I have tried it all in the last 3 years and I break even initially on all of it except postcards where I get a 5:1 return on $$$.

I think it sounds like a good idea to me. Those people are new to the area and don't yet have a cleaner. I say go for it.

But don't just mail once and stop, you need to keep hitting those same houses and your results will get better every time. Don't be dissappointed if you only break even the first time. Repitition is the key.

Greg Loe

This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think you'll get much of a response at all on your first mailing. Renter move-ins? None!
New home owners? None.

But to the new home owners, they are the ones you'll keep on your mailing list, send them magnets with your information. Most won't clean till after their first year in the home.

Maybe 3 - 6 months send them another magnet with your info.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I have mailed to new homeowners and what I found is that it takes a year or more before most new home owners will need your services.

Your mailing can belong forgotten by then.

If you mail them wait until they have lived there 6 months or more.

Greg Loe

I think it's a good idea to be first to send something to them. A magnet to keep, a note pad with company name and logo. It will pay off

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Jim W, how should you spread out repeat mailings? Once every 2 months or more? Less? And how may repeat mailings till you get no more responses?

Thanks

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Tony, I mail to the same 6700 homes about every 3 or 4 months. As far as getting no more response, I have gotten better response every time. This last mailing I hit a really upscale retirement area for migrating Northerners and already have picked up 8 or 9 new customers from just those 1500 homes. I never put an expiration date on them so they keep calling.

Last year I only mailed once and coasted all year on repeats and referrals. I was still getting calls 12 months later.

I really don't know if doing it more than every other month would help or not.

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Jim Williams said:
Tony, I mail to the same 6700 homes about every 3 or 4 months. As far as getting no more response, I have gotten better response every time. This last mailing I hit a really upscale retirement area for migrating Northerners and already have picked up 8 or 9 new customers from just those 1500 homes. I never put an expiration date on them so they keep calling.

Last year I only mailed once and coasted all year on repeats and referrals. I was still getting calls 12 months later.

I really don't know if doing it more than every other month would help or not.

Thanks for all the great info! If you don't mind me asking are you mailing post cards or newsletters? . Is it worth it to have a bulk mailing permit?

GRHeacock

I think mailing to new home buyers- or renters is good, but not the best.

I worked for several moving companies. When they tracked in mud, dog poop, whatever, or soiled the sofa with sweaty hands, etc, they would use my services, or refer me to their customers.

I would go out and for a minimum charge, remove the dog poop, whatever, and got most of them to use my services in the future.

So, if you intend to mail to new homeowners, etc, I suggest using something like-

"Something soiled in the move? I can correct it", or something along these lines.

Gary

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Tony, I mail half page size postcards. I get a local mailing company to do it and they use thier own bulk permit. I design the PC on MS Publisher and e-mail it to them and they do the rest for .24 each.

Look around your area for a mailing or business service. When I mail to my database of past customers I still do it all myself for now.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I mail to previous customers every month. But, I don't see why people continue to go the way of the dinosaur to mail advertising that is destined for the trash bin.

What a waste of time and money!!

There is a better way to advertise that markets month after month for practical free.

Yesterday I received a news letter that is going to 400 every month.

last week I received 2 jobs from a advertising that goes out to 500 every other week.

last week I had numerous calls from another advertising that goes out to 1600. One was a $600.00 job.

My cost in time and money ZERO!!!

There is a better, competition free way to attract residential customers.

Dave-

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Terry,

Like Lisa said "This program starts slow in sales volume, then builds as it matures. It's not an immediate results thing like a flier, it's more of a long term program."

I have been working it on for over 2 years so the program is now on automatic-pilot for me.

It will now continue to market forever and I won't have to spend another hour or cent on it if I choose.

I had to develop it and test it through trial and error.

The hard work on developing the plan is all ready done. So, that anyone that buys it will get it up and running faster and easier that it took me.

They will have a complete program all laid out for them with a action plan.

You just have to follow the plan.

It's simple and easy!

My motto for the plan is: plant a few seeds now and reap the reward forever.

The seed are being planted now by those who received the plan. The rewards will be shooting up latter.

Dave-

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Just answering your question and I want to help the guys out with something that is working for me and I think would benefit a lot of people here.

If I keep it to myself how can I help others?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Somewhat like Howard's referral marketing but, more powerful and definitely not the song and dance, magic words, manipulative crap like Joe's.

steve r

doing the best work you can and being kind couteous clean and all that will build a buis. for the long term. charge a fair price for your services to keep yourself happy is important.i do a yp add for 22 a month now and treat everyone i meet with respect and always tell people what i do when i can and i havent been this happy since i was a kid.
i know im different than most but im not big on programs and rules and the like. im not making a fortune nor do i want but i also know things change as i might as well as someday so if someone is happy doing it more power to them. doing it my way and loving it.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Dave, I keep using the old dinosaur method of mailing postcards because it works and I pick up customers who on average spend more money per job than any other advertising.

For $2000 I'll e-mail you the postcard I designed to get these spectacular results. Call now and I'll also include my cheesecake referral rewards plan absolutely free. :D

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I'm not saying that direct mail can't work.

I'm just wanting to help others with marketing that costs next to nothing to implement and markets forever once you get it started.

It has helped me to get 100s of great residential customers.

After this marketing gets started It's almost like magic how you can get jobs for not doing a damn thing or spending a cent !

You can't say that about direct mailing.

Name
Ron lippold
post cards

I sent out 200 on tuesday and I booked two jobs today no mention of price, just want it done. I did not advertise price. Just a picture of the Big Truck and some yadda yadda yadda.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom