Diesel-Electric Hybrids?

Greenie

After reading this article and that article about the new "clean Diesels" giving Hybrids a run for the money, I realized.....Why don't we see Diesel-Electric hybrids?

It just seems logical to have your cake and eat it too?

Chads

Supportive Member
Well look at one thing just a month or so ago,I was at a ford dealer ship talking about mpg of new diesels and that they only will get like 12 to 14 where my father in laws truck can get up to 22 mpg big difference right but technology has gotten so much better you would think. well it has gotten better but epa keeps tightning there grip on there balls. they now have to by law have catlylitc converters on them and if they didnt they said they could get every bit of 25 to 27 mpgs now that is probally one of the main reasons they are staying away from diesels is because they are getting hit hard with restrictions. :|

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I have some Cowboy Cookies.....and with the right milk, awesome.

I like the Diesel hybrid idea too.

didn't that VW get like 58 mpg or some crazy thing?

Greenie

Bunch of ADD knuckleheads.

Trains are diesel electric, why not a truck? tougher emission standards or not, you can use a smaller diesel powerplant with a hybrid design, 75mpg wouldn't be unheard of.

Name
George Valliant
Diamler Chrysler was working on a new deisel electric Sprinter. Think they even have a few of them out there for real world beta testing.

Lost the link to the article, and I'm using my pda now, so can't look it up. But it looked pretty sweet.

The price tag on a new deisel electric Sprinter would probably pay for about 10 used E150 cargo vans.

Not sure I'll be ponying up 50k anytime soon for a new Sprinter no matter how bad I want one. And, every used Sprinter I have looked at has been an absolute rattle trap.

Supersucker

Google up Azure Dynamics if you want hybrid Diesel medium duty.

One of the stepvan chassis companies is doing hybrid gas, can't remember which one, it may be the same one doing a Diesel hybrid RV chassis (eliminating the genny).

VW keeps toying with a Diesel hybrid Golf 69mpg. Like the above it gets to be cost-prohibitive as a Diesel motor costs more than gas then you add for the hybid system. VW is also releasing (Europe) a Polo (smaller than golf - about the size of 2nd generation Golf) with a Diesel & start/stop system, gets about 70mpg, wish I could get one here.

The recent emissions changes have lowered the mileage on Diesels, glad I have my 97 (reminds me to schedule my 296,000 oil change).

Greenie

Yea, I read about the Polo and the little Smart car, they are so efficient and burning diesel only at such a low rate that tehy can't even really make enough engine heat to run a decent cabin Heater, need some type of elec. heater booster....lol

The micro cars are cute, but I would want a "real" car, everytime I see a Smart car I just laugh, no room for groceries on the way home.

That Peugot looks promising.

lemme look up Azure.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Two problems with a Diesel electric hybrid; diesel engines are not ideal for short start and stop applications they need to get hot to keep from carbon fouling I’m not sure how they will work around this additionally and the whole system is heavy two separate drive systems equal weight and drag.

I’ve always thought a diesel electric vehicle makes more sense. Getting rid of the transmission, drive line & differential alone adds up to a large weight & drag reduction and millage increase. With a small bank of batteries to smooth out the inefficiencies curve and bank a % waste energy of stopping and starting.

Jimbo

Fed Ex is running Diesel/Electric Hybrid Step Vans in SF...driver said it works great...but he never hits the freeway...I think it was a Freightliner truck.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
The heavy, expensive battery bank and the complexity of the current hybrids is a major turn-off for me. They will be obsolete in a few years, if they last that long (will be more expensive to maintain than they're worth).

I had a 1980 diesel VW Rabbit that got 45-50 mpg.

STOP GLOBAL COOLING!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Several years ago a FUSO dealer told me we'd all be driving small locomotives, as the efficiency of a diesel running a generator and electric motor is hard to beat, but at the then current cost of the system diesel prices would have to continously run about $4.00 a gallon and you'd have to drive close to 80,000 miles per year to pay off the extra purchase cost.

The real place for a hybrid system is in bigger trucks though. Improving the efficiency of a frequently driven 12 mpg vehicle to 20 makes more sense than changing mom's 32 mpg vehicle to 40. If you get 32 mpg from your diesel car the payback on the extra cost of a hybrid system is never.

PS: If I could get the electronic video game display of a hybrid installed in our delivery trucks we'd probably get better fuel mileage.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Greenie said:
Yea, I read about the Polo and the little Smart car, they are so efficient and burning diesel only at such a low rate that tehy can't even really make enough engine heat to run a decent cabin Heater, need some type of elec. heater booster....lol

The micro cars are cute, but I would want a "real" car, everytime I see a Smart car I just laugh, no room for groceries on the way home.

That Peugot looks promising.

lemme look up Azure.

I don't know what model the car on the commercial was but it didn't look like little car.
Just a typical sedan I think.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Here's the commerial
It has harper in it as the hybrid owner.

r]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_y27chNLasr]

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Greenie said:
...Why don't we see Diesel-Electric hybrids?

elementary my dear Watson

not cost competitive yet.
different parameters with a locomotive or the huge strip mine machinery that utilizes electro/diesel power plants

and I don't believe all the conspiracy theorists that Big Oil is keeping all the new technology down.
when the new tech/alternatives becomes cost competitive, you'll see more of it.

til that happens, it ain't gonna happen....
(unless mandated by Big Gov)

..L.T.A.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Weight is a big issue in most vehicles but not in locomotives and Mining trucks. Also the varying speeds of street vehicles would mean the electric motor will need a transmission after it to be efficient and adding to the cost.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom