Day 5 of drying 100 sq. ft of unfinished basement.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
It looked real easy 1” of standing water in a low spot of unfinished basement. There were some finished walls along the stairwell that had been effected. I extracted then left airmovers and a dehu. I went back day 3 to pick up my equipment. The walls were as wet as I left them and mold has started to form on paint form moister wicking up. I wiped off the mold with some bleach. Next day still wet as ever. This issue is the homeowner apparently has Alzheimer's and turns off the equipment as soon as I leave. Today I’m going to tape notes on the equipment asking him to please not turn it off.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Mike
If you think there is a potential for a problem with the drywall, you might consider removal at this date.

5-days is iffy to attempt to save the drywall, especially since the homeowner is elderly (always be cautious around the young and elderly) and he isn't cooperating with the drying.

The area in question doesn't sound that large, maybe it would be more cost effective at this point to remove it, wash down the cavity and have a sub do the put back???

Something to consider. :?:

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Your right Richard. I recommended removal of drywall and the homeowner wasn’t going for it. I might take the skill saw out again today and see if I can talk him into it. Removal of drywall would be protocol at this point but, I’m not too worried about it. There isent any drywall on the inside of the stairwell and I don’t see any mold growth on the back of walls. The guy paying is in control of this finances I’m not sure if he has POA, but he is not onsite. I still have to talk the homeowner into allowing tear out. If I can get it dry, I pain to wipe the walls, kilz and microban everything. A Tear out would be better because the area is likely to flood again.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yep you got it!

Sometimes your customers will put you in spots where it doesn't seem like you're making the right move, yet it's what they want.

You always want to be able to explain why you did what you did, especially when working with someone who isn't exactly thinking straight.

Friends, relatives and trustees may not understand, it's always good to have them sign a refusal of recommendations and stick in your file in case it comes up.

You might want to consider have an Environmental Hygenist do some testing on the mold...You don't want to get held liable and like Richard said I would definitly have them sign something that states what you recommend and that you will not be liable for any damages that occur ....

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
It's important to check your WD job at least once a day. Not only to take daily reading, which is important to show your customer the job is set up to dry, but also to tweak the job as it's drying so you are able to dry as fast as possible.
I include a comments page with my invoice that explains what I did each day and why. I also include things like doors being left open, equipment turned off or tripped circuits. Drying occupied structures can be challenging but you are going to have a difficult task explaining why there is what appears to be mold growing on a job you are supposed to be drying and of course monitoring.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Something else to consider. I'm not going to doubt your drying abilities, so I'll consider it may be a reoccuring problem in that spot ? Something with the foundation ?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
After a couple more wasted days of trying to dry, I ended up doing a tear out. I guess I learned my lesson on this one. No matter how simple the job looks have them sign off on all the paperwork and check on the job every day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom