Damn Michael

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Looking at the pictures and videos reminds me a lot of what happened at my dad's place in the Florida Keys from Hurricane Irma. His place also experienced a 6 foot storm surge.

I am glad to hear that everyone was safe. Take as many pictures as possible to record your losses. FEMA may be able to help with some of that loss.

Oh and watch out for looters... that became an issue down in the Keys.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Damn Joey..

Excellent but extremely depressing answers..

Any idea how many families are in rhe same boat?

I think there are plenty in the same boat. I do almost wonder if I would have been better off with zero insurance. Already got my denial from FEMA. My neighbor has no insurance and FEMA told him not to worry, he'll be taken care of.

Had to drive an hour and a half outside of town to find a shop to fix my car. That was fun with air coming through my windshield and wearing safety glasses to not get glass in my eyes.

Taking a break, sleeping at my sister's house tonight.

received_1963098307117562.jpeg

Mikey P

Administrator
I think there are plenty in the same boat. I do almost wonder if I would have been better off with zero insurance. Already got my denial from FEMA. My neighbor has no insurance and FEMA told him not to worry, he'll be taken care of.

Had to drive an hour and a half outside of town to find a shop to fix my car. That was fun with air coming through my windshield and wearing safety glasses to not get glass in my eyes.

Taking a break, sleeping at my sister's house tonight.

View attachment 85755

are you buying that whole "That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" line of bullshit right now?

Reactions: BIG WOOD

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
are you buying that whole "That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" line of bullshit right now?

My wife was just outside talking to my neighbor when they heard his wife let out a horrific scream. My wife thought she really hurt herself. She had just found out a husband and wife had killed themselves. This just happened so not sure the relationship but no I don't buy the what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
My wife was just outside talking to my neighbor when they heard his wife let out a horrific scream. My wife thought she really hurt herself. She had just found out a husband and wife had killed themselves. This just happened so not sure the relationship but no I don't buy the what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
That's horrible Joey. I'm sure they're not the only ones. I can't imagine how to deal with this my inclination would be to salvage whatever I could and get the hell out. It's hard to start over somewhere else but if it happened once, it can happen again. Good for you and your wife to consider all options. I don't know if you can get a buy out from your bank insurance. Take some time to consider.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
your neighbors just committed suicide, is what you're saying...

GFL.

:eekk:

Not my neighbor, some friend or family of my neighbor.

I wasn't thinking too much about it when I posted last night but in terms of that whole stronger thing there has been one positive.

We are at the end of our cul-de-sac and never talk to anyone in my neighborhood other than a quick wave and hello. Since this I've learned my immediate neighbors to my left are amazing people. Also the day after the hurricane I walked Street and told everyone if they were using propane to cook and ran out I had plenty. I have around 250-300 gallons and gave away about 60 gallons so far but that has led to one guy I didn't know before hand coming down multiple times to check on us and offering supplies. His house was in good shape and he had people out of the area bring things in pretty quickly. Oh and he wasn't even a person who took any of my propane.

There's been other things similar.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Has an any progress been made in repairing...anything?

What are you local civic leaders doing for you?

I would actually say considering the devastation the progress has been nothing short of amazing. We actually got power on my street Friday. I don't have because there was no way to attach it to my house but when my neighbor got his power he brought his generator for me to use. Another friend helped me locate and install a temporary power pole in my yard that I'll be able to at least run extension cords. He also has water now but I don't so I'm going to try to figure out what's going on there. I think they got power to my street pretty fast because there is a lift station for the sewage they need to get going.

Our area is lots of small towns attached to each other so the local response varies. In my city the mayor has been really good. They've been giving out hot meals everyday and post detailed updates on what's going on around the town. Fortunately I haven't had a need to go stand in food lines and things like that.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I posted last night but in terms of that whole stronger thing there has been one positive

It's not about "doesn't kill you/makes stronger"

it's about an attitude of either hopelessness and despair , or "we'll get thru it and life goes on"

which you show the latter
Be strong and maintain that attitude , cause life's gonna suck for awhile

Thoughts and prayers, Joey

..L.T.A.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
All in all this has brought out the best in people. Lots of hardworking folks, mostly rednecks doing a lot of the works clearing roads and getting treed off houses. The chainsaws we're running in my neighborhood while the rain was still coming down from the hurricane.

That being said, my brother in law is a firefighter and they were putting out a house fire and someone started shooting at them. By the time they got back to the station they got a call out for the same house on fire again.

The area his fire station is located he was seeing lots of looting.

No looting in my area because it would be a suicide mission. We are all armed. Lots of police, military, retired military etc.

The neighbor I said was amazing told me my Glock wasn't enough in this situation and gave me one of his AK's to keep until things settle down.

Reactions: dealtimeman

Mikey P

Administrator
I hate to say it, but THIS would make for great reality TV.

Im pretty damn freindly with my neighbors, I bet after things return to normal, you'll all be family.

Joey can you take a guess as to when Normal will return...?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The neighbor I said was amazing told me my Glock wasn't enough in this situation and gave me one of his AK's to keep until things settle down.

rifle trumps a handgun in almost every situation.
The prudent man should have one .
The prudent man also needs a handgun that can be "on them"

as far as work....
Do you have any tools or a minimum of DIY Homer the Homeowner skills??

If so, I'm sure there are contractors large and small looking for hands

show up with nothing more than a hammer, pry bar and shovel, they'll probably hire you on the spot....

..L.T.A.

Name
Matt Ross
I have a couple good friends who are owners/employees of a power line tree trimming company. Day after it happened they piled in a truck with all their gear and drove 40 hrs straight to get there. Been working some long days since... I'll be hauling a couple travel trailers to Texas, then it will be taken the rest of the way by someone else, to house relief workers for reconstruction.
Tough times, hope you get things figured out...

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I hate to say it, but THIS would make for great reality TV.

Im pretty damn freindly with my neighbors, I bet after things return to normal, you'll all be family.

Joey can you take a guess as to when Normal will return...?

I don't think it will ever be quite the same but most people will have power and water in the next couple of weeks. We are already seeing most of the big chain companies opening up on a limited basis. I think that many people will be displaced for 6-18 months but most will still be back on some routine in the next 1-2 months.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
My new home in my old driveway until I can get my house rebuilt. This was my dad's. Unfortunately the kitchen is all torn out because he was going to rebuild it but at least it doesn't leak, it has beds and I've got limited power to it. I can run lights, microwave, air conditioning, I just can't run them at the same time. I also fixed my broken water line so I've got water. The biggest creature comfort I'm missing right now is hot water for a shower/bath.

Insurance adjuster came by today and said he's going to push for my house to be a total loss. Hopefully I get the max payout and then hopefully it's enough to rebuild and rebuild up to and beyond the latest standards.

IMG_20181022_174555.jpg

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I'm getting lots of calls for one room, or a single sofa or today a call for 2 dining rooms chairs. Basically things that got a little wet or got tracked up by construction people or whatever.

Normally I have $100 minimum that covers 2 rooms. I generally have no problem getting it. I've been thinking of bumping my minimum to $150 for about 2 years now and really now more than ever it should be higher because getting around town is super slow right now but I'm questioning the ethics of raising it right now given the situation. Any opinions?

PS I did have a nice $1600 day yesterday. Just in the nick of time considering Aztec wouldn't let me delay my van/tm payment at all.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm getting lots of calls for one room, or a single sofa or today a call for 2 dining rooms chairs. Basically things that got a little wet or got tracked up by construction people or whatever.

Normally I have $100 minimum that covers 2 rooms. I generally have no problem getting it. I've been thinking of bumping my minimum to $150 for about 2 years now and really now more than ever it should be higher because getting around town is super slow right now but I'm questioning the ethics of raising it right now given the situation. Any opinions?

PS I did have a nice $1600 day yesterday. Just in the nick of time considering Aztec wouldn't let me delay my van/tm payment at all.
I normally don't go out for less than $150. $120 if it's in my neighborhood. You should never feel guilty about raising your prices unless you're deliberately trying to prey on people who are disadvantaged, which I know you're not. You need to charge what it takes for you not only to survive but also to make a profit and thrive. Otherwise, you may as well just take a job somewhere.

Reactions: Hack Attack

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL

Be careful about cleaning anything that got wet from the storm. Not only was it originally Cat 3 but it’s been wet for nearly 3 weeks. We’ve been turning thrm down just to avoid any liability.

Traveling around PC is a nightmare right now. You shouldn’t feel bad about raising your minimum. travel time is probably double in town right now.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Be careful about cleaning anything that got wet from the storm. Not only was it originally Cat 3 but it’s been wet for nearly 3 weeks. We’ve been turning thrm down just to avoid any liability.

Traveling around PC is a nightmare right now. You shouldn’t feel bad about raising your minimum. travel time is probably double in town right now.

Yes, had 4 jobs scheduled today and turned down 2 after seeing them.

Here is one I didn't turn down. Made my day. The husband was there when I did the work and insisted I take a case a of mre's.

Screenshot_20181031-014026.png

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
the cost of doing business is the cost of doing business, if it takes longer to service your area then it costs more thats not taking advantage or price gouging

let your conscience be your guide.. today I did a $140 clean for an obviously emotional widow whose husband booked the job, normal cost would of been $180 and I spent an extra half hr talking to her.. I suck at business

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom