Crate and Barrel Sofa

Steve D

Name
Steve D'Aquila
My client has a white sofa from Crate and Barrel that is yellowing in spots. Has anyone else seen this? Sofa is 2 months old. I told her to call them - I didn’t touch it.
I know they put out some defective rugs a few years back so I don’t trust the quality.

Thanks

C172BFF5-E210-4D6E-8CA3-59EF2185AB18.jpeg

Steve D

Name
Steve D'Aquila
I can't really see on my monitor..

Is it just in that location?

The could be cotton, Linen or Poly
There is a line that is lighter than the rest of the arm about 4" up. In person it is yellow. I didn't test the fiber but leaning towards Poly.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
My client has a white sofa from Crate and Barrel that is yellowing in spots. Has anyone else seen this? Sofa is 2 months old. I told her to call them - I didn’t touch it.
I know they put out some defective rugs a few years back so I don’t trust the quality.

Thanks

View attachment 93506
Has it been cleaned before and does it have a fire retardant?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Crate & Barrel = low-cost (to them) Chinese made. I've done a few rants in the past about Chinese furniture yellowing; it can be a back treatment on the fabric, foam off-gassing, framing materials off-gassing... or in the worst cases, the surface of the fabric is just a print over a generic polyester fabric. Good luck with that.

Sometimes an acid treatment will help, sometimes nothing helps. Best product we've found is "Carpet Renewer" by Winsol Labs. It's a tartaric acid, a copy of the old Steamway Yellow Eliminator.

SamIam

Name
sam miller

Thanks

View attachment 93506

Sweat????? Or knap adjustment?

Steve D

Name
Steve D'Aquila
Check for down filling in the cushions. Even though there isn’t down on the body, the flame retardant treated ticking may be used throughout the fabric.

Protector may also be an issue.
Thanks Jim - there is down filling - could you explain this a bit? Does it matter if the cushions are down filled?

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Steve D

Name
Steve D'Aquila
With that color change, I don't think it is poly fiber. Poorly applied protector, fire retardant suggest above and also lack of UV resistance to fading is another possibility.

They can get a independent inspector involved if needed. www.nicfi.org
Thanks Scott - it’s only 3 months old so not sure that UV would affect it yet. I’ll get a confirmation on the fabric - Crate & Barrel did not have an answer.

Steve D

Name
Steve D'Aquila
Crate & Barrel = low-cost (to them) Chinese made. I've done a few rants in the past about Chinese furniture yellowing; it can be a back treatment on the fabric, foam off-gassing, framing materials off-gassing... or in the worst cases, the surface of the fabric is just a print over a generic polyester fabric. Good luck with that.

Sometimes an acid treatment will help, sometimes nothing helps. Best product we've found is "Carpet Renewer" by Winsol Labs. It's a tartaric acid, a copy of the old Steamway Yellow Eliminator.
Has it been cleaned before and does it have a fire retardant?
never cleaned

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thanks Jim - there is down filling - could you explain this a bit? Does it matter if the cushions are down filled?

Flame retardant used on the ticking that holds the feathers (and may be under other areas of the fabric as well) could be off gassing and causing the discoloration

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Chinese furniture doesn't have to be cleaned to turn yellow. Hope they've learned about off-gassing by now.

I went into a "Scandinavian" furniture store. the only Scandinavian furniture they had was a small display in the entry with chairs starting at $8k. They readily admitted the rest of the furniture was Chinese knock-offs, with fabric sectionals running about $1,500.

The salesman told me they were having blow-out sale on club chairs in the storage area. One corner of the warehouse had a randomly piled stack of about three hundred chairs - on sale for $99 each. The chemical smell in the room was coming from the pile. The salesman said that some people complained of headaches when they got one home, but not everyone did, and by the way all sales are final...

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Chinese furniture doesn't have to be cleaned to turn yellow. Hope they've learned about off-gassing by now.

I went into a "Scandinavian" furniture store. the only Scandinavian furniture they had was a small display in the entry with chairs starting at $8k. They readily admitted the rest of the furniture was Chinese knock-offs, with fabric sectionals running about $1,500.

The salesman told me they were having blow-out sale on club chairs in the storage area. One corner of the warehouse had a randomly piled stack of about three hundred chairs - on sale for $99 each. The chemical smell in the room was coming from the pile. The salesman said that some people complained of headaches when they got one home, but not everyone did, and by the way all sales are final...
So, how many chairs did you buy?

Reactions: Steve D

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I imagined coming home with smelly chairs and telling my wife they were a steal. After running through the six million possible versions of that conversation I had to pass.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
And here all of the idiots who preach The new Green Deal should be really complaining about countries like India, Russia and China who pollute way more than we do.

THOSE FOOKEN RETARDS ONLY THINK THAT IF WE GO GREEN IT WILL CHANGE THE WHOLE WORLD!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom