Countering Fly by Night Janitorial Competition

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Have you used one? Come on, have you used one?

demos only
many hundreds of hours with rotary with VCT pads to prescrub com
tried some scum 'n run too.
I felt dirtier inside than the scum slurry left behind

might impress a hack what the carpet looks like post scrub.
Run the wand behind the cimex or rotary and you'd know just how scummy the method it is

..L.T.A.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
It’s Not, I repeat not the same as a 175. I live with the results everyday. Plus, it’s not like don’t use a truckmount or 2. So, I know what the results look like with both methods. I also, service repeat customers that are not jani related. So don’t act like an overbearing, obnoxious know it all. Obviously, you don’t know what your talking about Larry.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
So, I can be on one side of a church sanctuary running a zipper from my truckmount and have a Cimex running on the other side with a preacher watching with curiosity. Do you think for one minute he’s asking me why I’m doing one or the other? Same with an op. They don’t care for one minute how or why I did it. How long will it take to dry, so we can put the chairs back is the question.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Well Larry or Matt, let’s back up for a moment and tell me who’s gonna vacuum this 8500 sq ft carpet and what are you gonna use to vacuum it with before you start pulling hoses and getting your wand out to begin cleaning it. You getting your Shark, or Panasonic, or whatever else you use in your residential setting to do it? Or is the house jani doing that part? And who’s still cleaning carpet, and who’s not?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Well Larry or Matt, let’s back up for a moment and tell me who’s gonna vacuum this 8500 sq ft carpet and what are you gonna use to vacuum it with before you start pulling hoses and getting your wand out to begin cleaning it. You getting your Shark, or Panasonic, or whatever else you use in your residential setting to do it? Or is the house jani doing that part? And who’s still cleaning carpet, and who’s not?

Kenny, I don't care how you make your money.
You can spit on the carpet and shoe agitate for all I care.
If custy is happy and check clears, well and good, I'm happy for you, have at it.

BUTT... grinding soil off the fiber and sending to the backing in a dirt slurry is scummy cleaning*
If you don't know that, that makes you 50%'er ...that being, a hack and don't know it

*"cleaning" if defined as the removal of foreign matter and soil, scum 'n run doesn't even qualify.
all the soil is left there.
and we know damn well there ain't no "encapsulated dirt crystals" in the vac bag or dust cup in the weeks/months following

..LT.A.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
You still never answered how or who is doing the vacuuming on 8500 square ft of carpet. No one said anything about just running a Cimex only over the carpet like you probably did with a wand to clean the carpet. I know you didn’t vacuum it, then wand it in a timely manner, if you ever did one at all.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
if you ever did one at all.

LOL

:laura2:

Kenny, are you triggered I consider you a 50%er?
get over it

as far com, we tried to sell them the full monty
Pile brush, vac, roto scrub and extract, mint under the pillow

Obviously, we landed very few due to price of that.
If/when they wanted cheap, we'd Oh-Pee or roto bonnet.
which obviously required vac to sooth my soul from going to hell
(I'll note, with wheels down Oh-Pee's and MF bonnets, likely never use the roto for VLM)

If they agreed to our sf price for "normal" clean, 90% of com got roto scrubbed and extracted.
Rarely vac'd in that case.
But when cleaning dev filter, there was more silt than I've ever seen in any dust cup or bag when pre-vac'ing

..L.T.A.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I’m not triggered whatsoever except you typing about scummy janitor carpet cleaning when you know nothing about cleaning large areas, or you wouldn’t be having this conversation. A Cimex or 2 is only one tool we use to get the job clean. When I pull up to a job like that, I usually have two truckmounts and a trailer full of shit and people. If you pull up in a van only, you’re not equipped. This ain’t the 20th century anymore.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Did you use crb’s with renovators when you cleaned carpet? Did you use 28” Betco or other brand battery vacuums plus other commercial vacuums to vacuum with when you cleaned carpet? How much dry soil do you think we’re removing on mostly carpet tile before we even start? Again? I’m simply
stating why a residential carpet cleaning tech or company can’t compete with a normal commercial cleaning company. As Matt stated, he’s geared to residential cleaning which is fine, who cares. I’m geared for them too, but I don’t want to. It don’t make his operation or method any better or worse than mine. I can clean carpet for .15 per and make good profit w/o
cutting corners. That even includes going back with an OP (if needed) and taking care of any wick backs. And don’t tell me you never had them because you used proper wand strokes🙄

Last edited:
Reactions: AlienAgent

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
you know nothing about cleaning large areas,

that's just wrong, Kenny

Had two regular accounts
Largest was 23k (Catholic school)
and 12k office

Did you use crb’s with renovators when you cleaned carpet?

had a Host.
Preferred Certified pile brush w/vegi brush due to weight over CRB's
but only if they'd pay for pile brush

so you're saying you CRB brush all your com before you slimex it?
Is that true?
If so, it's the only "cleaning" you're doing

..L.T.A.

• Eyeroll
Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
It is true. We use 17” crb’s with renovators after vacuuming with either battery sweeper/vacuums or corded wide area vacuums. If entry carpets or other areas need hwe extraction, we use either a porty or truckmount. If it’s a daycare, we’ll use the truckmount usually. If it’s an assisted living center, we’ll use a Cimex in lieu of hwe for the obvious reasons unless it’s a dining room. Then we use one or two portys. Whatever it it calls for.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
One more thing, I don’t like Cimex swirls in the carpet, so we will use the crb’s to smooth them out which usually gets a little more dirt that has come from the pads or whatever.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I don’t know, the last 8k it was 5 -6hrs with 3 people. Usually like to have 4. It’s like stripping a floor, everyone knows what to do
and gets out out of the truck and gets after it.
When we do our own accounts, we take our time because our hair’s not on fire. We always hwe in the summer, but still do the same pre routine. That is why I stay here so I can try to stay current.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Kenny, you’ve proven you’re not one of those FlyByNight janitorial companies

But back to my original frustration…the big companies that sub out only, are the ones that cause the problem.

Sure, I lost the bid at .25 for 8k sq ft. But I was also the first person bidding. I bet they had the second company come in and say they can beat the first company’s price. Hell, I could do that. I priced it at .25 to make decent money. I could still HWE at .20 and show profit. Just not the money I’d like to base.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I do get it! I lost one of my jani accounts to a Chicago based franchise because the church hired a propert manager. We took care of them for over a decade. Of course it’s turned to shiate and the word is out in the circles. We all know Mall Mafia in any form is a pile of shit! Just move on.

Ever-Fresh

Name
Jeff Paton
You've raised a very significant issue. The rising influx of fly-by-night janitorial services can indeed affect the reputation and market share of legitimate cleaning businesses. These unscrupulous entities utilize cheap, questionable labor, and their lack of proper training, knowledge, and professional tools not only produce disastrous cleaning results but also have a propensity for causing often irreversible damage to clients' properties.

In order to counter these competitors, businesses like yours should employ a number of strategies:

1. **Highlighting Expertise and Experience**: Promote your team's qualifications, certifications, and expertise. Discuss how much experience you have and the training your team members receive before they are allowed to serve customers. Prospective clients would have more confidence in hiring a company whose employees are adequately trained and knowledgeable.

2. **Educating About Proper Cleaning Techniques**: Where possible, educate your potential customers about the right way to carry out particular cleaning tasks, for example, the difference between buffing and burnishing. This would not only serve to provide a value-added service but would also highlight the competency gap between your business and the newcomers.

3. **Mentioning Insurance Policies**: A professional cleaning business always has insurance coverage. Accidents and damages do occur. Having proper insurance is protection for both the business and the client. Let your customers know that you are insured and explain what that means for them.

4. **Sharing Past Success Stories**: You could create case studies of challenging projects that were successfully completed by your business. Sharing client testimonials would, too, serve to boost your reputation.

5. **Offering Competitive Prices without Compromising Quality**: Rather than being the cheapest, strive to offer value. Setting fair prices, presenting comprehensive service packages, and customizing solutions to meet unique customer needs can set your business apart.

6. **Utilizing Eco-friendly/ Health-safe Products**: If you are using eco-friendly products that are safe for humans and pets, this could be another selling point.

7. **Offering Exceptional Customer Service**: Working transparently and maintaining open lines of communication with clients will build trust and enhance your business's reputation.

8. **Investing in Marketing**: Well-coordinated marketing campaigns will elevate your business's brand and give it more visibility. Using online platforms, giving presentations at local business meetups, or sponsoring events can work considerably in your favor.

Remember, while these unethical newcomers can cause a temporary dent, it's the consistent, professional, and customer-centered businesses that ultimately survive and flourish. Happy customers become repeat customers and they refer others as well. Best of luck with your endeavours.
9. ** They know what their service is worth... and you do too!

I would expect this type of competition to grow, especially when the Government runs out of free money, housing, food and cell phones for our recently introduced, 30 Million unskilled *immigrants.* I would be surprised if the cleaning industry is not devastated and changed forever.

Last edited:

AI FredC

AI Bot
Name
AI
9. ** They know what their service is worth... and you do too!
Absolutely! Understanding your own value and the worth of your services is a critical point, let's call it the 9th strategy.

9. **Understanding Your Service's Worth**: If you know the value of your services, underline it during your customer conversations and your marketing efforts. Explain why your service is priced as it is, and the quality that this price ensures. Essentially, you offer more than just cleaning - you also offer peace of mind, a healthier environment, and eventually, a positive impact on the productivity and well-being of the people using the serviced premises. Many businesses and individuals are willing to pay a higher price for the assurance of receiving a high-quality service from a reputable provider. This can help you buoy your business above the sea of fly-by-night operations that compete mainly on price.

Remember, it's crucial to stand by the quality of your service and the pricing associated with it. This not only solidifies your brand image but also ensures that your clients understand the correlation between cost and value. Avoid getting dragged into a price war. While price is important, it's not everything. Your expertise, reliability, and the quality of your work do count for a lot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom