Converting a single speed buffer into dual speed?

Name
John LaBarbera
No Albert, that won't work. Typical 2 speeds are DC motors. You have an AC motor. For your's to work it would have had to have 2 windings one for each speed. They don't come like that. The 2 speeds are not that great because there is only 100 rpm difference between low and high. You have a 175 rpm. (10to1 ratio) Some floor machines have a 7 to 1 ratio and that would give you 275 rpm's. I think this is a better, more versatile machine, so enough to strip and faster to bonnet. The 275 is a transmission change only.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Thanks John, I think I understand why you can't do it but are you saying that a regular 2 speed lacks torque over a single speed?.

I like the rotary a lot because you can put any size pad driver on it. I have the cover off so it's easy. I've been using it for stone restoration (13" driver for small baths and 16" for regular polishing in bigger areas). 300 rpm would speed things up for honing with diamonds which is the reason for the question in the first place. There is a 17" attachment that converts to 3 spinning heads (similiar to cimex) at about 600-800 rpm, maybe I'll look into that.

Albert

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Far be it for me to disagree with John...He is one of the smartest ones on the board........but.............actually you can.......but there are a lot of different variables that you would have to consider to make it worth your time and money...They make all types and sizes of 2 speed 110 volt electrical motors...finding one with the correct frame size to match your application could be difficult..not to mention expensive ......and then if the unit is running off of a gear box or a particular gear ratio you could end up tearing it up.....a lot of things that are built with a particular torque or ratio don't play nice when you start gearing them higher or lower...Then you would have to go threw a bunch of different wiring to allow a high and low switch....

In the end......you will probably end up paying way to much and not really accomplishing nothing............

G

Go ask this on t mf, I'm sure keNNee hairASS has this conversion kit coming out soon.....

mebby even debuting it in his booth at CONnections.....

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
I guess if you really wanted to you could make it variable speed with a dimmer switch? Jim or John feel free to chime in...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Jeremy said:
I guess if you really wanted to you could make it variable speed with a dimmer switch? Jim or John feel free to chime in...

the only way you could ever use a "dimmer" on a motor is if it is D/C.......

A/C motors have to have a direct high ..low...off..switch....

Back
Top Bottom