Concrete Grinding

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Does anybody do concrete grinding on the board?

I am building out my 3rd space in the last few years and I am tired of being hosed by these guys in Indy.
I spent $17,500 for my new showroom. 6,500 sf. I watched 3, $600 a week guys do my floor in 5 days. $2.69
3 years ago I paid $5 k for 1700 sf. $2.94 sf
My latest quote is $8,990 for 3100 sf. $2.90 sf

I don't want to be the guy to tell someone what to charge. I'm just tired of paying it.

Obviously Jon Don has a whole division selling the equipment so a schmuck like myself ought to be able to do it. You can rent all the equipment they use from Sunbelt.
Looks like I can rent everything I need for the week $1,500 or less.

I have a warehouse that is being converted over from offices. It has 20 year old mastic left after the demo guys gutted the space. 3100sf

I don't need a high polish just a warehouse floor.

Any help out there?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Scarifying or bead blasting the glue off is one thing, grinding and bringing back to a smooth finish requires another skill level. Good luck!

PS: We have a smaller area of floor that needs grinding, and I think I'll try to clean a few more rugs to pay for the service.

J

JS41035

I’ve watched and helped on a couple jobs. I agree that it is really expensive. In my area it’s much less per square foot. At those prices I would definitely try it myself.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Tom, I haven’t actually done grinding, but I have done scrapping with 175. That’s what I would do on the mastic. Then do the grinding with the 175. It don’t look much different from using the scrapper, except you can grind wet. There are some good videos on YouTube. Even the larger grinder looks easy to do. I would do it with confidence. I have a new building and that’s what I’m gonna do, but I don’t have mastic to deal with.

Reactions: JohnHawkP

jawhit

Name
Joe
Do you have a floor scrubber that would take like an 18" pad? Diamabrush has a system that will give you everything you need. As someone mentioned about use a 175 for the mastic. Then you can use their resins to polish the floor. It won't give you a high gloss finish, but it will make it smooth and easily cleanable. Some Home Depots have the whole series of resins available to rent.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Follow up on the floor rented 2 electric grinders. Job done $468 rental. Sunbelt sent the wrong blades. Adjusted charge $298. Took my son Kyle and I 26 total man hours over the weekend.
If you were doing that for a customer, what would you have charged? How does that compare to the price you were quoted?

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey
Back
Top Bottom