Concrete floor cleaning

KSL

Name
Kent
We have been asked to clean the concrete basement floors of a new construction site. Basically want us to remove all the sheetrock dust etc. I was thinking of backpack vacuum cleaning as much dust as possible and then using the turbo hybrid to wash the floor. There is no staining, just dust removal. Mopping it would just be a bucket brigade and a streaked floor. Anyone have any other suggestions? The concrete is unfinished.

KSL

Name
Kent
We use both the Turbo Hybrid TH-40 and the Gekko wand 14" brush head. Any preference which might do a better job and at what psi would you think would rinse the floor the best. Thanks for your input.

steve_64

The back pack vac will probably plug up quick from the fine soiling. We use a shop vac with the brush head. The bigger the hose the better. Anything under inch and a half. Won't work and 2n a half is best.
Carry a heavy duty scraper to remove glue and paint while shop vaccing.

Use the spinner going in about 800 psi minimum to flush well and the wand to rinse out.you can lower the psi but I'd stay above 500.

If you drag all your hose in before spinning it will get very dirty.

Mikey P

Administrator
You have to scrub the crapped out it for good results.. pressure washing alone wont get off a lot of the crud..will most likely etch it as well

steve_64

You have to scrub the crapped out it for good results.. pressure washing alone wont get off a lot of the crud..will most likely etch it as well
No you don't and I do this every couple weeks.
Spin in and wand out. Scrape anything that doesn't come out. Scrubbing is actually a waste of time from my experience. Its how we started out. Scrubbing and bucket brigade.

This method gives the best results for us. Gotta wash the hoses off afterward too but cleaning on the way in helps a lot.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
have you seen it??

It's new construction
drywall dust and construction debris/litter and dust ain't sheeit

shopvac thoroughly , and flush/rinse with any tool that sprays 'n sucks well

adhesives/caulk/paint etc is what can be a PITA

..L.T.A.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I don't think you should vacuum it. Just spray it, scrub if needed, then rinse. A vacuum cleaner will stir up more dust in the air with the exhaust blowing behind it, unless you can hook up a dry floor vac to your tm hose. You don't want more dust to settle after you've cleaned it.

Reactions: Jimmy L

steve_64

I don't think you should vacuum it. Just spray it, scrub if needed, then rinse. A vacuum cleaner will stir up more dust in the air with the exhaust blowing behind it, unless you can hook up a dry floor vac to your tm hose. You don't want more dust to settle after you've cleaned it.
Floor tools will plug up.
Shop vaccing doesn't kick it up to bad.
We do the floors last and don't have anymore trouble than the rest of the house from settling.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
prod_1399640712

lta

steve_64

Need to keep the vac slots clear for good water and soil removal.

When I've skipped shop vaccing the floor still feels gritty when dry.

Same with leaving puddles.

My filters on the van plug up even after shop vaccing too. Lots of sawdust.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

steve_64

You can get a filter for the exhaust too but I found that blows the air in different directions causing settling issues. Blowing 2 feet over the ground doesn't stir it up much.
And a sharp one of these.

Mikey P

Administrator
No you don't and I do this every couple weeks.
Spin in and wand out. Scrape anything that doesn't come out. Scrubbing is actually a waste of time from my experience. Its how we started out. Scrubbing and bucket brigade.

This method gives the best results for us. Gotta wash the hoses off afterward too but cleaning on the way in helps a lot.
We've already established that you're a lazy hack Steve, no second guessing allowed.

steve_64

We've already established that you're a lazy hack Steve, no second guessing allowed.
Lazy!

Well ill have you know...

Seriously the method we use now is by far the best. We have worked on it for 5 years to figure it out.

We dust down all pipes wires joists window well. We also do the garages the same way.

We have a very meticulate builder too. He made us learn to do it well. And we rarely get a callback anymore. Not on our work anyway.

Mikey P

Administrator
So since getting rid of your Bane you've managed to convince yourself that 1200 psi at 4 flow is more effective than a Malgrit.

Lol!

steve_64

So since getting rid of your Bane you've managed to convince yourself that 1200 psi at 4 flow is more effective than a Malgrit.

Lol!
800 on new construction yes unless that 175 is spraying and sucking. But the brushes would still load up and just spread the mess around.

Spin then wand after shop vac and scraping glue and paint and solder.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

FredC

Village Idiot
I've never cleaned one just to clean one.............

but I've cleaned hundreds (drywall turds, paint, and dust) to prep the for staining and always used a 175 and pressure washer/shopvac (didn't have vac trucks).....ymmv

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom