Complaint - yellow spot appeared in last couple days

Got a call this afternoon from an upset customer that we had cleaned carpet for 10 days ago.

She complained of a yellowish spot that had just "appeared" in the last few days and was worried that it had happened outside our "7 day spot free guarantee". (We were shocked as it was the first complaint, call back, re-do that we've had in the 5 years we've run this company.) She was very upset. :shock:

She wanted to schedule but her only day off work in the near future was Friday the 29th. We assured her that all would be ok (we stand behind our work!) and that we would be there at 7pm TODAY when she got home from work.

Upon arrival we could see the yellowed area from across the room and the distress in her face. We quickly set up our spot removal kit and inspected the tufts and backing with a magnifying tool. No visual residue or soil. Could feel no texture or difference between this yellowed areas and other non affected areas (it was all very very soft).

Checked for residue / wicking with volatile spotter (Trounce) with no transfer on to the spotting towel. pH meter batteries were dead, so just tried a little de-browning agent to check for a pH problem, no result.

While continuing with the inspection and testing, she proceeded to tell us how great everything else we cleaned had turned out. BUT that this one spot was just not acceptable. She stated that it seemed to be getting deeper darker yellow each of the past few days.

I asked her if we could clear the area of furniture and bring in some more light.

Upon moving the sofa, the spot also moved. :D Seems the unknown yellow spot that appeared in the last few days was THE SUN! It was a yellow reflection off the green furniture on the now clean, shiny and reflective light beige fibers. We had several gloomy days after cleaning her home, then the last few days the skies have cleared and the sun has made a return appearance in Northeast Ohio, making the "spot" appear to be getting deeper and darker.

The look on her face was PRICELESS! Shock, amazement, relief, embarrassment, gratitude within a second.

She went from very upset, hinting at possibly wanting new carpet, to ecstatic and another definite cheerleader.

I love my "job" (and am happy to be back to 0 complaints, re-do's, re-services)

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
I've done things similar myself. Your so relieved that it wasn't something that was a result of the cleaning....besides the clean carpet that allowed the spot to show itself.

Good story!

G

MarkCermak said:
the distress in her face... Shock, amazement, relief, embarrassment, gratitude within a second.

So it sounds like you guys were just a room full of emotions!

Glad it worked out for you.

MarkCermak said:
She went from very upset, hinting at possibly wanting new carpet, to ecstatic and another definite cheerleader.

So are you happy to have her as a custi? She sounds like she could be difficult; hinting at you purchasing a new carpet for her because of a yellowish spot.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
yea i had one that the spots only showed when the DR lite was on........hundreds of them..she sED!
YEP.....a crystal chandelier........

glenboy

Name
GLEN
CSI i am happy for u it sucks to get re do jobs sounds like yours was very self satisfying

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Great story Mark,
I'm impressed that this would have been your first redo. I wish I could boast of such great results.

Gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom