CARPET SQUARES!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL!

I've noticed a trend that the larger buildings are going this way with the replaceable carpet squares. Not only do they not look dirty but it's easy for the illegals to simply replace the dirty ones.

I think we are seeing the end of carpet cleaning as we know it.

Look for home owner do it yourself carpet squares in abundance soon.

This might be a add on for us soon.

F

FB7777

interesting word choice "trend"

predicting trends requires large data samples

its especially ridiculous when uttered from the mouth of a dipwad that cleans once a week and leaves his house when his working wife unlocks the cellar door :shock:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We recarpeted our office in January with carpet squares, they cost more but by replacing the worn squares in the traffic area we can extend the life of the installation. Our last carpet lasted 12 years but the traffic pattern had uglied out years ago.

We've been cleaning them for years, haven't you? :shock:

G

Been cleaning them for a while here, but I find it easier to simply replace the dirty ones.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Welcome to my life. Since we're cleaning A LOT of commercial carpet that is all I see. Just pisses me off when one if their maintenance guys install the square backwards after replacing it. Then swear up and down that we set the nap of the carpet wrong after cleaning it.

Oh and it also sucks when they don't actually glue them properly and after one stroke of the wand the carpet starts to bubble. :shock: :evil:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I agree with Hoodie. There are three different style of installation. There is a the self stick tiles. C/A is the only brand I like for that appliation. Then there is the peach glue application that can be spread all over the floor like VCT or they can run a grid so only the edges/seams are glued. If they don't use enough adhesive or the correct type, its makes our lives a living hell and when they are pealing at the edges, don't even think about using a mechanical scrubber. :evil:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Our carpet has a fibrous type pad built in, with a vinyl back that had to be glued entirely.

The installer bitches about how tough it was to cut. :roll:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
That sounds like C/A carpet tiles. Their product is only carpet Tile I enjoy working with. Its tougher to lay but they hold up the best. And on installation side I'd rather have a tougher time installing a quality product that will last longer than a crapy carpet that willd deteriorate.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL the installers were really complaining about the cuts, I figure as much as they install they would have been use to the stuff?

We even if it only lasts as long as the last install, this one will look better by switching squares as they wear out. 8)

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Thats the theory Chavez :wink: But you would be surprised how many people don't ever change them out.. Kinda of defeats the purpose.

Name
La Canada Carpet Cleaning
Just cleaned 9K carpet tiles last SAT ,Filthy 1 yr old. W landed all the Social Security Building in the Socal area.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Carpet modules have been the fastest growing segment of the ccommercial market for a few years. At this years Neocon a few more mills started selling them.

Those products are about the toughest carpet made. If they are designed to last longer that is good for carpet cleaning. Cheap olefin gluedowns are ripped out faster and are not cleaned.

harryhides

Name
Tony
I agree with Bill. The vast majority of commercial Inspections that I do are on Carpet Tiles.
All the Mill claims managers are telling that this is the fastest growing segment of the carpet industry.

This stuff is so tough, you can pressure wash it and make it look like new with ease.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I have a few accounts that have them, they are all solution dyed nylon, some are recycled pop bottles in the LEED buildings,

most have 10 year warranty but you have to get them on a pile lifting schedule, crb machine works great for this

as long as they keep their current cleaning cycle I usually just flush them with hot water, pretty durable

have seen a few improper installs where people from the factory had to come out and run the tiles through some machine to roll them flat again before reinstall

you have to convince the customer to clean for health, not appearance

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
They get dirty just like any other carpet and need cleaning. Since good tile costs $25 to over $50 per tile, the owners would be idiots to throw out the dirty ones unless they had nasty permanent stains. We can plant clean tiles that don't respond to extraction for about $7 each, way cheaper than replacement, and they don't look garishly new when put back in place.

Fletch

They get dirty just like any other carpet and need cleaning. Since good tile costs $25 to over $50 per tile, the owners would be idiots to throw out the dirty ones unless they had nasty permanent stains.

Exactly! The idea that it will do away with the need for cleaners is nonsense! I can understand that idea that it may cut into spot removal services, but it will never be cheaper to swap everything out than it would be to clean. Replacing all the squares=buying a whole house full of carpet.

Some residential customers may buy into the novelty, but few will maintain it after replacing 1-2 squares. The "convenience" of it all will seem like a burden to most people.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Goodness. I remember a guy when I worked at Millers. He had carpet tiles in his basement he laid them himself. He thought he was the cats ass when he showed me he pressure washed one and it came out looking new. Then proceeds to want us to take them back and inplant clean them. So I just layed them out on the drive back and shop and got the pressure washer out. They dried in the sun in no time. There were in his 10x5 workshop area. Charged him $4 per tile. How else are you going to get $4.00/sq ft to clean carpet. :shock: :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom