Can someone enlighten me on what causes these GD Trilobe blowers to fail?

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
What kind of lubricant are you using in your blower when you are done for the day? Some have said WD40 is bad. Have you ever flushed your blower? Ran water through it to get off any sludge that might build up.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
What kind of lubricant are you using in your blower when you are done for the day? Some have said WD40 is bad. Have you ever flushed your blower? Ran water through it to get off any sludge that might build up.
I've had very few times the waste water ran through the blower and I flushed it out with water each time it did. I always used that stuff the dealers suggest that isn't wd40. I can't remember the name right now

steve_64

I've had very few times the waste water ran through the blower and I flushed it out with water each time it did. I always used that stuff the dealers suggest that isn't wd40. I can't remember the name right now
Just because you haven't overfilled your waste tank lately doesn't mean gunk isn't getting in your blower. Sounds like it's been getting worse over time like it's getting dirtier and dirtier. The tolerances are shrinking making it work harder on the belts and engine.
Flush the blower change the belts and see what happens. Imo

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Bawb taught me that trick .
Kick's azz.
BUTT...I don't know if all the sludge 'n gunk it blows out is good for blower HX'ers??
(for those that have them)

..L.T.A.
My everest has the option to bypass the exhaust away from the heat exchanger, so it saved me any headache from that happening.

steve_64

Everything works better when it's clean. It all gets gunked up over time. The air is dirty too.

steve_64

I'm a just a bit stressed at the moment. Beginning of last week my TI-410 blower was starting to lock up, causing my engine to bog down real bad, stretching the belts, making them smoke. I had 2 mechanics check the engine just to rule that out, and it's fine.

History of the blower for the previous 2700hrs:
-It loved eating the belts every 300-500hrs, not normal. I see that now. I kept changing them out, thinking it was something I was doing wrong, or thinking it might've not liked the Gates belts.
-Last Summer, the oil seal blew
- I was religious at changing the oil and preventative maintenance.

History of the TM:
-I bought it "new". I'm the only owner, except it being a "demo" with 30hrs on it.

I suspect this blower has had a defective bearing from the manufacturer with the headache of going through belts. Warranty is out and JD isn't giving any support. Matter of fact, when I discussed possibly setting up an appt, the service dept told me to make certain the COUPLER is lined up perfectly if I do it. IT'S BELT DRIVEN! From the last BIG MISTAKE they made at the 2k hr service last year, they lost my business.

Do you think I'm correct on this being defective?
Did they use wd40 on it when it was new? J/K

steve_64

No. That's why I was asking about these type blowers. I heard no grinding or knocking. When the new one gets here, I'll compare the sounds when I turn them
I would try and clean it real good but I hope you get it figured out.
My 56 I had to spray lubricant almost daily to keep the knock away but it worked. I soaked it often to where it ran out the tailpipe sometimes lol.

FredC

Village Idiot
No. That's why I was asking about these type blowers. I heard no grinding or knocking. When the new one gets here, I'll compare the sounds when I turn them

seems like you would hear something....

did you pull the belts and check for movement in the shaft/bearing?

vac relief working?

right amount of air exiting system?

steve_64

They always made Boyle pissier.
I've been ill. Couldn't look at a blue screen for a long time. Found out I'm autistic and have severe autoimmune issues all my life. Dehydrated all my life too. Taking salt pills and prednisone. Been a crazy year.

Reactions: Cleanworks

FredC

Village Idiot
Vac relief is set 13-14.

I know this seems like a dumb question (and you already said there was shaft play).....but are you sure it is opening

It being closed (or set much higher than gauge is displaying) could cause belt slipping and engine stall

*edit : you didn't really describe the conditions when this happens

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

steve_64

I reread the locking up part. Lubricating oil and lots of it until you free it up.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I know this seems like a dumb question (and you already said there was shaft play).....but are you sure it is opening

It being closed (or set much higher than gauge is displaying) could cause belt slipping and engine stall

*edit : you didn't really describe the conditions when this happens
Yeah I monitor it very frequently and it’s noticeable both visually and with sound when it opens up at the 13-14

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I reread the locking up part. Lubricating oil and lots of it until you free it up.
It’s putting more of a heavy drag on the engine. I know I said starting to lock up. I meant if I kept using it, it would eventually lock up.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It’s putting more of a heavy drag on the engine. I know I said starting to lock up. I meant if I kept using it, it would eventually lock up.
This blower doesn’t have grease ports to lubricate it. And spraying a lubricate in the cups isn’t made for lubricating it. It’s made to get any water out of the impellers or turbines. Whatever they’re called

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I've been ill. Couldn't look at a blue screen for a long time. Found out I'm autistic and have severe autoimmune issues all my life. Dehydrated all my life too. Taking salt pills and prednisone. Been a crazy year.
Take care of yourself Steve, it's fun having you around. How's Genny?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom