Can someone enlighten me on what causes these GD Trilobe blowers to fail?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm a just a bit stressed at the moment. Beginning of last week my TI-410 blower was starting to lock up, causing my engine to bog down real bad, stretching the belts, making them smoke. I had 2 mechanics check the engine just to rule that out, and it's fine.

History of the blower for the previous 2700hrs:
-It loved eating the belts every 300-500hrs, not normal. I see that now. I kept changing them out, thinking it was something I was doing wrong, or thinking it might've not liked the Gates belts.
-Last Summer, the oil seal blew
- I was religious at changing the oil and preventative maintenance.

History of the TM:
-I bought it "new". I'm the only owner, except it being a "demo" with 30hrs on it.

I suspect this blower has had a defective bearing from the manufacturer with the headache of going through belts. Warranty is out and JD isn't giving any support. Matter of fact, when I discussed possibly setting up an appt, the service dept told me to make certain the COUPLER is lined up perfectly if I do it. IT'S BELT DRIVEN! From the last BIG MISTAKE they made at the 2k hr service last year, they lost my business.

Do you think I'm correct on this being defective?

Lamesalegend

Not sure about your situation, But the first few years of owning my Truckmount I went thru a couple of bearing changes. The reason was I was overtightning (lol hog jowl) the belts. I noticed that when my belts were tight it felt like my vacuum was a little better. So I kept them tight. Had to replace bearings on the blower and motor side a couple of times. Now that I don't over tighten the belts my bearings have lasted. I have 10000 hours on this Truckmount/ and blower and haven't needed to replace the belts or bearings in probably 8 years. Where the first few years it was almost every 2 years when they were overtightened.

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I agree, but not all jobs were on level ground. I always tried to make it as level as possible

FredC

Village Idiot
I'll go with your belts since you mention them being tight often and only having 1/8 inch of play which i assume means deflection which is ridiculously tight putting unnecessary side load on the bearing (should be a 1/4")

and the shafts being parallel /equal tension on belts

I doubt it was defective.....you smoked it being smarter than the engineers

*assuming blower is the problem

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'll go with your belts since you mention them being tight often and only having 1/8 inch of play which i assume means deflection which is ridiculously tight putting unnecessary side load on the bearing (should be a 1/4")

and the shafts being parallel /equal tension on belts

I doubt it was defective.....you smoked it being smarter than the engineers

*assuming blower is the problem
I only started setting at 1/8" because I was having issues with the belts stretching and belt slapping. I thought that it might've been too loose. After I had a mechanic do 1k hr service on it (his setting on the new belts), I thought that he never replaced the old belts because it literally shredded the belts he installed off it not long after. I never touched those belts

I'm not smarter than the engineers. This blower is a defect

FredC

Village Idiot
I only started setting at 1/8" because I was having issues with the belts stretching and belt slapping. I thought that it might've been too loose. After I had a mechanic do 1k hr service on it (his setting on the new belts), I thought that he never replaced the old belts because it literally shredded the belts he installed off it not long after. I never touched those belts

I'm not smarter than the engineers. This blower is a defect

again my money is on you keeping improper tension on belts over extended periods and possibly misalignment allowing for unequal tension. You've stated here that you keep them extremely tight (manual calls for 1/4") which increases the side load and destroys bearings.

even with a little bearing movement (which can be checked btw) you wouldn't likely see the belt issues you've had. The blower isn't going to "eat belts". You should look for other possible issues not just crank them down tighter

Also the manual I looked at stated to replace belts at 500 hours. Two belt changes you mentioned had well over that with you, i'm assuming here, continuing to crank down on them likely without checking pulley alignment.

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
There was no improper belt alignment, I measure both sides of the blower to make certain it's aligned with the frame and straight. The belts wore out in under 500 hrs as stated above, and your reasoning with me going over 500hrs isn't correct. I've been through way more than just a couple belt changes.

Fred, I've been working on my machines now for almost 20years. I'm not just cranking it tighter for no reason.

As for the belts used, just the belts that's required, Gates or Bando V belts I think BP40, or B41

FredC

Village Idiot
There was no improper belt alignment, I measure both sides of the blower to make certain it's aligned with the frame and straight.

I'm talking about the shafts on the engine and blower being parallel...the pulley being in line. Equal tension on belts

The belts wore out in under 500 hrs as stated above, and your reasoning with me going over 500hrs isn't correct. I've been through way more than just a couple belt changes."

700hours

tighter than spec:

Fred, I've been working on my machines now for almost 20years.

It's almost like you get it..

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm talking about the shafts on the engine and blower being parallel...the pulley being in line

700hours

tighter than spec:

It's almost like you get it....
[/QUOTE]
I stand corrected from my comment about 700hrs

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm talking about the shafts on the engine and blower being parallel...the pulley being in line. Equal tension on belts

700hours

tighter than spec:

It's almost like you get it..
And for the pulleys to be in line, the mounting plate needs to be same distance from the frame on both sides where you adjust the tightening bolts. There was no uneven tension on the pulley

Dwain Ray

On Vacation
Name
Dwain Ray
B 41 is a standard vbelt, they tend to heat up especially the smaller lenghts heat could be all or part of your problem may i suggest going to a clogged belt (BX41) belive it or not they have approximately 6% better grip and power transfer but more importantly way way way way (4 ways)less heat. The 2 killers of bearings is lack of lubrication and heat.when i built frankinstien i experimented with belts, my main blower drive belts are B41 first i used as you standard B41 (first picture) than aramid (second picture) now clogged BX41 (picture 3)no heat , problems gone even when tighter than normal. if your blower is properly lubricated then maybe your problem is heat. Alignment was not an issue on any of these belts (picture 4)

20221025_150142.jpg 20221026_103041.jpg 20221108_170827.jpg 20220203_102216.jpg

FredC

Village Idiot
And for the pulleys to be in line, the mounting plate needs to be same distance from the frame on both sides where you adjust the tightening bolts. There was no uneven tension on the pulley
This assumes everything is square from the mounting to the shaft

I went out in the rain for you to show checking on my genesis project

259091D1-1560-42AF-B760-26777609CFE4.jpeg

check at the pulleys not the mounting/frame

I have an alignment magiggy somewhere but I'm not digging it out

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
This assumes everything is square from the mounting to the shaft

I went out in the rain for you to show checking on my genesis project

View attachment 120379

check at the pulleys not the mounting/frame

I have an alignment magiggy somewhere but I'm not digging it out
I love that 3 belt pulley! I always wondered if 2 belts was enough.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
B 41 is a standard vbelt, they tend to heat up especially the smaller lenghts heat could be all or part of your problem may i suggest going to a clogged belt (BX41) belive it or not they have approximately 6% better grip and power transfer but more importantly way way way way (4 ways)less heat. The 2 killers of bearings is lack of lubrication and heat.when i built frankinstien i experimented with belts, my main blower drive belts are B41 first i used as you standard B41 (first picture) than aramid (second picture) now clogged BX41 (picture 3)no heat , problems gone even when tighter than normal. if your blower is properly lubricated then maybe your problem is heat. Alignment was not an issue on any of these belts (picture 4)

View attachment 120375 View attachment 120376 View attachment 120377 View attachment 120378
What brand is bx41? And is it the same length as B41 bandos?

Name
Nate W.
I'd also say to get a matched # set of belts.. It may not pertain to your setup, but Piece of mind/Knowing you have belts from the same batch would eliminate 1 issue..

On the flip side, Smatty is Smatty Boy.. If anything can go wrong, bet your a$$ it's you and @Nomad74 luck.. :lol:

I've had a jack shaft setup that used 6 belts and belts would go at 250 hours.. It was from the exhaust of the unit.. I changed it to a coupler and haven't had any issues.. I know that's besides the point.. Belts cost $15/each.. Wasn't fun..

Dwain Ray

On Vacation
Name
Dwain Ray
Looking at specs im using molded clogged BX blower belts AX pump belt
Molded clogged wedged clogged potatoes pototoes,
Im retracting this statement it appears upon closer inspection wedged belts appear to be narrower and set deeper into the pully i have no experience with them bx and b belts have the same dimensions

Dwain Ray

On Vacation
Name
Dwain Ray
Matched belts were important way way back in the day but with modern manufacturing processes is less and less important however dont mix manufacturers use same same brand and part # unless of course what your building is going 1000 feet under water or outer space you should be fine

Reactions: Johnny
Name
Nate W.
Matched belts were important way way back in the day but with modern manufacturing processes is less and less important however dont mix manufacturers use same same brand and part # unless of course what your building is going 1000 feet under water or outer space you should be fine

This is Smatty boy you're chatting with........Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong with him....I've suggested before seeing a "Kahuna", "Shaman", Priest, to bless his equipment and himself.. If it wasn't for bad luck or hard luck, he'd have no luck..

Next time don't steal from Jobu..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom