Buckling carpet

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
OK guys I need some help on how to tackle this repair. This carpet is is a Doctors office where the receptionist and billing clerk sit. I think the carpet is a looped type glue down and it seems to be stretched out from the chairs rolling around on it. The waves (1 to 2 inches tall) in the carpet are mostly on 3 sides but they pretty much circle the office of about a 8 X 12 size. Can this be lifted up stretched and glued back down? how do I tackle this?
Thanks for the help, Doug
DSCN1916.jpg

DSCN1917.jpg

DSCN1918.jpg

DSCN1919.jpg

DSCN1920.jpg

DSCN1921.jpg

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
aside from replacing it there is nothing that you can really do to fix it..the backing has probably torn away and it has no hope....educate then on chair mats....

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Hey Doug,

I fixed your photos for you so they all show.

Looks pretty far gone to me but I remember Tony I think telling how he would split it open, re latex the backing and then weight it down to glue.

That's what I've done myself but only on smaller areas.

John

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
John, Thanks for the photo repair. I wondered where they went. If I were to put in some new carpet how would I repair? To replace the worn area should I just glue it down or should I bond the edges with double side koolglide tape to the old carpet and then use adhesive and roll it down? I know when I attended Steve A's training he taught us how to relaminate the backing with fiberglass tape and hot glue but this is about 50 sq ft of repair. I thought about finding a close match or a nice contrasting color and just replacing the worn area. Thanks again for the help.
Doug

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
First thing is The carpeting does need a chair mat. You could pull the material back inspect it see if the backing is coming off. If it is slice the secondary backing only .You can re latex it let it dry overnight than, powerstretch it.

Stevea

Rolling traffic on tufted carpet will delaminate over time. First, test it to be sure it is delamination, (pretty obvious this one is) and then reverse what occurred, re-laminate it. Small or large area, as long as you can get to it, it should work well.

Harry said is well and to the point. One thing I might add, by putting another backing over the area that one would re-laminate, this will re-enforce the carpet and help resist the rolling traffic and give it a little more 'body' to work with, when you put a chair pad on it.

This would be a fun one to video and share.

SA

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
OK Steve, what would I relaminate with? What should I use for backing? I remember in the class some kind of gauze looking stuff, I don't think I want to use 2" fiberglass tape.
Thank you all for the help.

Stevea

Doug,

Good questions, just think in terms of reversing what has fallen apart.

I sent you some info.

SA

G

May wanna offer custy a cheaper alternative; I just did a doctors office with same Problem; Tech removed damaged area and replaced with VCT/Low Profile rubber coversion border; came out great and they loved it.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I see that all the time. The wheels of the chairs crush the carpet and break down the latex. Its a real challenge vacuuming where the chairs are, all the white powder (latex) just keep coming out.
AS posted above educate that they need those hard plastic chair mats. It'll make it easier for the office worker to move around as well.
AS for repair, some good ideas posted.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
From the area involved it appears the employees roll from place to place in their chairs rather than get up and take a few steps. Repairing this will be time consuming and expensive, and you'll still have an ugly trashed area when you're done. Repair the existing carpet only if you want the challenge.

Your 'replace with complimentary' idea would be the most economical repair. They'll have the same problem if they don't cover the entire rolling area with plastic though, so the VCT replacement is the next lowest cost recommendation. If they have to have carpet because there will be too much strain on the employees legs having to stop once they get rolling, a unitary-backed carpet would stand up to this use.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom