bad access/townhomes

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
anyone have the million dollar solution for servicing these horrible structures?

we have so many here its out of control, any single family home is getting knocked and 4 go up in its place.

These people are buying a 25ftx25ft lot 4 stories tall for a million $ and need carpets cleaned, they have plenty of money to spend.

They suck so bad to use TM on its literally torture, portable hauling also sucks we dont even do that its not worth it.

We get calls all week long every week and you can tell they have called at least 5 other companies who turn it down.

I want to encap them but CRB stand alone isnt great and hauling orbitals up these stairs doesnt work. Plus they have 2-3 flights of stairs that need cleaned.

We do flat rate $350 for any that we can access, which is 2-3 small bedrooms and 2 flights of stairs

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I can understand mega PITA set-ups ,
charge more to compen$ate for additional time, pain and suffering

what I don't understand, is if brush or bonnet encraping is able to get to the job, why a porty can't?
you don't have to carry a porty upstairs .
any good porty should be able to handle 75ft of hose that's pulling 40-50ft straight down steps

and how in the world could one do upl right with bonnets and brushes?

what am I missing??

.L.T.A.

Reactions: Mikey P

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I see you have that box truck setup, which is probably part of your problem. Have you thought about getting one of those transit minivans/cars and putting a 370 in it to squeeze in the driveway? Is there enough of those townhomes to justify in investing in a setup like that?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
if in question...I will google earth the place and see if I can get a good layout if I can access it or not...but sometimes even that does not work 100%...so then you just put it where you can.....

20171204_080339.jpg
20171204_080359.jpg

Reactions: Nomad74

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I had one like that the other day. It's 2 flights of concrete just to get to her front door, then 3 flights of stairs to get to the 2 carpeted bedrooms. Only carpet in the place. My charge with a porty is $250. She didn't want to pay and I didn't want to do the job anyway. Some jobs, it's just better to turn down.

Reactions: bob vawter

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I fail to fully understand why they are a problem to service.
Is it that there is no parking in front of each unit?
Do they take more then 3 hoses to set-up?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
That's the problem, there's no parking. You have to haul your gear through the complex just to reach the front door. Makes what should be a 45 minute job into a living hell. Genius architects at work.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
That's the problem, there's no parking. You have to haul your gear through the complex just to reach the front door. Makes what should be a 45 minute job into a living hell. Genius architects at work.

My motto is:
if you don't like doing something-- increase your price until you do like it.

Those people might be willing to pay an extra $100 setup fee just to get the service done right. That can take it or leave it..
Should be a hard sell since no one wants to service them.

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall

ya no parking on most of them, sometimes you can block the shared driveway but youll end up having to move the truck mid job which really sucks

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
I see you have that box truck setup, which is probably part of your problem. Have you thought about getting one of those transit minivans/cars and putting a 370 in it to squeeze in the driveway? Is there enough of those townhomes to justify in investing in a setup like that?

we have a chevy express and also a nissan NV, you really need a prius with a porty.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Bob Haskins

Name
Bob Haskins
Get a Rotovac CFX 15

the lightest weight extractors on the market right now and perfect for long carries

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
We have a CFX, its not bad pretty good suction at 50-75ft... but you have to hook to the customers sink.

I think encaping these is the most realistic option but then the stairs are the problem, hitting them with a car buffer just isnt that appealing

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Sounds like an Aerotech ants a heft set up fee is the answer
If you're ok with a 500-600 ft set up with hose protectors as people will be driving over your hose at times. All to clean 2 bedrooms, hall and staircase, maybe. Cfx makes sense if you have the ranger set up with its own solution tank and pump. Often you can't hook up to a modern sink

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
The Ranger is pretty handy. I dislike the little sump because the vacuum heads are within six inches of the slops. Any significant foam and you are blasting it out the exhaust. However, with a 2” hose it will suck the butt off a brontosaurus and with the 360i it is pretty good. You’ll have to figure out what sort of wand to use.

That DX unit from Mytee can be used as porty or apo, or the Air Hog for inexpensive and portable.

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
think I'd be fine with you hooking to my sink , rather than leaving your slimy slurry all over the carpet :(

because I DO know what "emulsion" means
I also know what "rinse" means

..L.T.A.

Im not the biggest encap fan either but it does work in the right situation.

might just get into the business of talking these people out of even having carpets in these type of homes and sell them a more realistic flooring option.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
portable hauling also sucks we dont even do that its not worth it.
We get calls all week long every week and you can tell they have called at least 5 other companies who turn it down.

There is only one answer, and that is a good porty, with good porty techs.

Isn't this what portys are for?

GFookY Chavez......

I see nothing but opportunity.

No other company wants to touch them and there is a big demand to find a company that will service them, and more are coming.

At what price is hauling a porty "not worth it"?

At what price will it be worth it?

Your "worth it" price will drop as your Porty Radpid Response Team gets more efficient at turning them over.

They will be easier than you think.

Mostly new construction....people with money........upholstery gigs......light soiling for the most part.....sell the building management on the common areas................Cha-Ching all the way.

All can be done with the right portable equipment and the right techs.

No one else wants to touch them and they deserve nothing less than a good flush from HWE.

Forget relying on only padding/VLM all these units.

Only Taco would choose to only pad them.

Don't be like Taco.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan

GFookY Chavez......

No other company wants to touch them and there is a big demand to find a company that will service them, and more are coming.

Your "worth it" price will drop as your Porty Radpid Response Team gets more efficient at turning them over.

Mostly new construction....people with money........upholstery gigs......light soiling for the most part.....sell the building management on the common areas................Cha-Ching all the way.

No one else wants to touch them and they deserve nothing less than a good flush from HWE.

Don't be like Taco.
Not a porty lover but I agree its porty territory, even an "average" porty is better than the "best" encap in residential..imo
(and I'm 90% approved by Chavez :winky:)​

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

GFookY Chavez......

Don't be like Taco.
For the larger companies, it's a good idea to have a small porty van like a transit connect. These particular places usually need a light weight porty that can go up and down stairs easily. More difficult for owner/ops. Even though I have 3 trucks and multiple portables, unless I schedule it ahead of time, I may arrive with the wrong truck and machine. I try to assess the situation over the phone but still get caught sometimes. Some times it means switching trucks and machines midday and then swapping back again for the last job of the day.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
For the larger companies, it's a good idea to have a small porty van like a transit connect. These particular places usually need a light weight porty that can go up and down stairs easily. More difficult for owner/ops. Even though I have 3 trucks and multiple portables, unless I schedule it ahead of time, I may arrive with the wrong truck and machine. I try to assess the situation over the phone but still get caught sometimes. Some times it means switching trucks and machines midday and then swapping back again for the last job of the day.

Having a dedicated vehicle with good porty equip and accessories would certainly make things a lot easier.

Porty work is difficult as it is, and even harder when one has to scramble with unfamiliar, discombobulated equipment.

Any serious porty operator will attest to how important it is to develop a methodical repertoire with your equipment.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Just ran into another one today. No parking within 500 feet of the unit. Who designs these fooking buildings. Can't get into my next job till 5.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom