are we getting hosed on axial air movers

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I have recently looked at replacing some air movers, due to the way drying has evolved over the last few years, it means using the old snail fans is not the way to go, they don't blow as much and they use way more power. I see the big 3 , which I consider dryair,ie gale force, phoenix and drieaz. they are wanting over $400 bucks for an axial airmover these days. I am just wondering how and why these cost way more money to make than a plain ole snail fan that cost $225 or in some cases less, I personally think the axials should be less money, they look more simple and easier to put together. air movers I think are likely the least profitable item for a supplier so its likely not them with the excessive markup its the manufacturer. anyone else noticed this and wondered WTF. $400 bucks a pop is just too damn much money for a glorified fan, I will buy used before I pay that.

Mikey P

Administrator
Great question for Bill Bruders.

Keith Collins/Service Master guy says the tend to not use the Axials nearly as much as snails due to their noise.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Mikey P said:
Great question for Bill Bruders.

Keith Collins/Service Master guy says the tend to not use the Axials nearly as much as snails due to their noise.

yes bill if you are reading this I would love a response.

the service master guy must not be doing much water damage, we normally set 4 air movers in a standard 12x12 room, more in larger rooms anyways if you are running snails the power requirement will be about 18 amps, that is just for one room, most rooms might if they are lucky have a 15 amp breaker on it so even if you run 3, that is 13.5 amps, which means a breaker pop if you turn on the lights. if you set 4 axials in the same room you will move nearly 50% more volume of air and only need 10 amps to do it!!!!! that is why for water damage snails are just not using up to date technology.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
shhh.... don't tell anyone but viking makes a snout that runs on 2.8 amps and is stackable. Mr Cobb knows about them too. :roll:

Ryan

Its the cleaning industry we get hosed on everything we buy.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Ryan said:
Its the cleaning industry we get hosed on everything we buy.

now that I don't agree with, the snail fans are geared more toward the cleaning industry these days and those are the cheap ones.

as to the patton fans, goodness sakes, if you saw what I charge for fan rental, it makes most peoples eyes water, so it has to look better than something out of home depot, even though all it is, is more durable and costs 5x as much. however I want that going in my pocket not the manufacturers

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Steve my guess is you're paying for r&d and a new mold. ???

You also should be charging more for rental if you are not. What city are you in I can look it up in Xactimate.

In all actuallity it's still DIRT cheap if you calculate how much that investment will return to you over it's lifetime.
8)

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
uhhhh did you not read he charges out the arse for fan rental???

and if that be the case, then wth are ya bitchin???

now if you charged a cheaper fee for the custy and was trying to be warm and cuddly, then i could see the rant...other wise shut up and pay the money and get the money back in about 3 rentals...

steve g said:
[quote="Mikey P":2xtkmuqg]Great question for Bill Bruders.

yes bill if you are reading this I would love a response.

the service master guy must not be doing much water damage, we normally set 4 air movers in a standard 12x12 room, more in larger rooms anyways if you are running snails the power requirement will be about 18 amps, that is just for one room, most rooms might if they are lucky have a 15 amp breaker on it so even if you run 3, that is 13.5 amps, which means a breaker pop if you turn on the lights. if you set 4 axials in the same room you will move nearly 50% more volume of air and only need 10 amps to do it!!!!! that is why for water damage snails are just not using up to date technology.[/quote:2xtkmuqg]

That Service Master guy is hack. They only do 50 WD a month. :mrgreen:

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
AND the best part is that xactimate only wants to pay $6 more per fan. A snail can easily be bought for $150 - Huge price difference -

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
31v9UsYXLXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

While they do all move air and you do charge the same for them, they are not all the same.

You pay a little more in the front end but you get much more. Low amp draw, 3-speeds, daisy chain, GFI, durable built to withstand WDR work, years of worry free operation.

I've tried several different brands but 98% of what we own is Drieaz. Not saying that others don't make a good unit, but I prefer to dance with the one that brought me. 8)

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Lee Stockwell said:
I don't buy them to rent, I buy them to use.

very true, I get 27/day and some change for an axial and 24/day and some change for a snail in my area, so that means I am getting an extra 3 bucks a day. that is an extra 12.5% but I am getting charged $415 for an axial and $225 for a snail so that means I am paying 84% more for the axial. why in the hell is an axial fan cost 84% more money!?!?!??! both have a plastic housing that can't cost more than 50 bucks to make, the motor say $30, lets face if for under $100 the manufacturer should be able to pump out an axial fan parts labor the whole sheebang.

my cousin is a millionaire from making headphones in china, I sure he could tell me how to make a ton of money making air movers with his connections

Name
John LaBarbera
Think Mytee. Axial fan, Centrifugal, Hot Air High Pressure and Down Draft great quality at low prices. 2 year Warranty on motors life time on housings. Just check with a Mytee Distributor. And you can be confident that Mytee will stand behind the product.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
john, I was wondering if you would respond, I bought one of your tradewinds and one of the mini's a while back, mainly because you went above and beyond what anyone has ever done to take care of an issue. I actually like how your tradewind handles, its simple and is easy to carry, Drieaz and in particular the ace unit should take note, however the biggest thing I don't like is there is no way its putting out the same air flow as my phoenix units. the cord wrap could also use ears on each side that are a bit longer, so the cord doesn't wanna jump off while its wrapped up. if it put out the same air and the cord wrap issue was not there, I might not have even started this thread. I own just about every air mover made, I think the tradewind 3000 has comparable air flow to the drieaz ace units. my favorite all around unit is the phoenix axial, no its not the most durable unit out there, but it is easy to handle and carry, stack and blows like a muther and the motors are not an arm and a leg to replace.

drieaz if you are reading this, cut the stupid legs off the ace unit, try carrying 2 up or down stairs sometime, they stack well, but take up tons of room doing it. noone cars about being able to blow 16 different directions, off set the handle/cord wrap to one side. put a 3000 cfm fan blade and motor, price it below 3 bills and sell the crap out of air movers. BTW the ace unit also suffers from a cord wrap that doesn't protrude out enough to keep the cord from coming off.

still noone has gotten an airmover truely right.

some people might complain I am cheap, I guess, but at the end of the day isn't the purpose of my business to make a profit and not own expensive equipment

topnotchman

I have a few Ace's, I like them. But they are a little big and loud. I'd like to get the CXV, but ya $400+ is a tough pill to swallow, but it looks good. I demoed one, and it seemed like a decent one. And yes get Dri-Eaz air movers, best quality IMO. I've also picked up some used Dri-Eaz air movers for a good price, so thats an option too.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Phoenix focus are the preferred by our water techs for air flow and packing. The galeforce are easier to stack though. We have a couple of tradewinds (paid under $200 per) but they just don't put out enough airflow.
I am curious- if all the manufacturers except mytee are gouging - is it possible that price fixing is hppening. Obviously John wouldn't be selling a product at a loss, so perhaps his competitors have gotten together and decide to keep the prices super high? Just my thoughts......

steve g

Name
steve garrett
gregcole said:
Phoenix focus are the preferred by our water techs for air flow and packing. The galeforce are easier to stack though. We have a couple of tradewinds (paid under $200 per) but they just don't put out enough airflow.
I am curious- if all the manufacturers except mytee are gouging - is it possible that price fixing is hppening. Obviously John wouldn't be selling a product at a loss, so perhaps his competitors have gotten together and decide to keep the prices super high? Just my thoughts......

that is somewhat what I am trying to allude to. because I don't think the suppliers are making hardly anything on these

Name
John LaBarbera
gregcole said:

The motors are similar on all these units. It may just be the pitch of the blade. That can be changed pretty easy. Mytee also makes a dolly for transporting them. I think it retails for $109.00. Probably too low of a price. I bet if I doubled my prices like the others guys I'd sell more. Must be a psychological thing, that if you over pay it must be better.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I bet if I doubled my prices like the others guys I'd sell more. Must be a psychological thing, that if you over pay it must be better.
:lol:

John
Not speaking to your products, but I seriously question anything under priced.

I always figure if it's worth more, why are they not charging it? There must be something wrong with it or they would charge more.

I also buy name brands and I'm willing to pay more for brands I know and have experience with. I'm not much of a gambler, seems I always lose when I gamble. :cry:

Mytee now being one brand I have a level of comfort with, from how you conduct yourself and your business on MB.

Mikey P

Administrator
So lets see, we'll have Segretti and I in the MF mud pit and now Lisa and Lisa, Thom and Les, Marty and Terje, Marty and Chris, Dave and Rob and and now Bill and John all wanting turns we'll never get anything done.

Name
John LaBarbera
rctpks said:
I bet if I doubled my prices like the others guys I'd sell more. Must be a psychological thing, that if you over pay it must be better.
:lol:

John
Not speaking to your products, but I seriously question anything under priced.

I always figure if it's worth more, why are they not charging it? There must be something wrong with it or they would charge more.

I also buy name brands and I'm willing to pay more for brands I know and have experience with. I'm not much of a gambler, seems I always lose when I gamble. :cry:

Mytee now being one brand I have a level of comfort with, from how you conduct yourself and your business on MB.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your comments. I understand what your saying. The reason I started to build portables in the first place goes back to the mid 70's. I was doing contract cleaning and needed a machine to service my customers. When I went to the store I was shocked at the prices. I started to build machines in my fathers garage in '77. My premise was two fold. 1) I could make a good quality machine at a good price and not gouge the market. (You can shear a sheep many times but you can skin them only once) 2) Equipment is made for the PCC to make money so he can support HIS family, it should not cost an arm and a leg and I've proved that. Mytee doesn't have the advertising budget that these other companies have and so I don't have to charge as much. I may not be as big as the other names out there but we have a good reputation (not perfect) and that is important to me. Mytee offers a choice to the PCC's. Ultimately, the choice is theirs.

Name
John LaBarbera
Mikey P said:
So lets see, we'll have Segretti and I in the MF mud pit and now Lisa and Lisa, Thom and Les, Marty and Terje, Marty and Chris, Dave and Rob and and now Bill and John all wanting turns we'll never get anything done.

I have no beef with the higher priced guys. They have created an umbrella for me and I'm thankful. I'm just a friendly competitor. On your MB mud pit entertainment list you forgot Mikey and Evan, and Bob and Tre and Cooper and Ed and Rickey and and, and the list goes on. lol

steve g

Name
steve garrett
so lets see even the guy who owns mytee all but agrees the other guys are too much money, so bill bruders, whomever from phoenix, and jon don's driair, if you are reading this. why are the axial units 84% $$$ more than a snail fan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom