Application of T&G Sealer?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
How are you guys applying the sealer?
I tried using my Omni with an 01jet, just didn't get the coverage. I had a gallon of Aquamix which was to cover 1500sf, barely got 1000 from it.

Do you apply "just" to the grout lines first and then over the tiles, or over everything.

I was thinking of making a tool to do just grout lines, a long tube with a hole at the bottom feeding into a stiff sponge, sort of like the grout colouring tool they have or like an envelope moistener, but longer, say 4ft long.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
They have those already. Though I honestly think every grout sealing applicator out there sucks.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
With an injectimate
http://www.superiorcleaningsolutions.com/servlet/the-642/Tile,-Sealing,-Injectimate,-Grout,/Detail

and the grout sealer kit
http://www.superiorcleaningsolutions.com/servlet/the-643/Grout,-Tile,-Seal-Injectimate,/Detail

Or on my hands and knees with the bottles that have the brush heads.
http://www.superiorcleaningsolutions.com/servlet/the-169/Hydrostick-Grout-Seal-Applicator,/Detail

You might prefer this as well.
http://www.superiorcleaningsolutions.com/servlet/the-287/grout-sealing,-clear-sealing,/Detail

I've used the grout wand before and don't think it applies an even amount though.

I like the injectimate because you have more control over product amount by the squeeze of a hand.

Or you could spray it over the tile like you're currently doing, and then remove any haze/residue from the tiles with a towel or buffer and cotton pad. But for ceramic that is a waste of a lot of product.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I guess with all the tools i've seen meant for speed, I wouldn't even have considered an injectimate for this application (pun not intended but appropriate)
Is this why grout sealing is so much more than the cleaning? because its so labour intensive to apply it?

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
you can buy it in a spray , you just buy the holder which holds the can upside down and spray it on. no muss no fuss. 2 coats and and your done.

gene

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Gene, that's a spray can of sealer that fits on a stick somehow, you just walk alone quickly spraying the grout?
Or if its in a gallon, use a 005 tip and spray it just on grout lines, wiping off the tile after?

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Personally, I spray down DynaChem Ultraseal Impregnator and squeegee it of the face of the tile into the grout lines and let it sit for 30 min and bonnet off the excess with a micro fiber bonnet. But it's like $32 or so a gallon not $90 a qt like some sealers. It's cheaper and easier too work with... Odd combination but I'm not complaining.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Jeremy said:
Personally, I spray down DynaChem Ultraseal Impregnator and squeegee it of the face of the tile into the grout lines and let it sit for 30 min and bonnet off the excess with a micro fiber bonnet. But it's like $32 or so a gallon not $90 a qt like some sealers. It's cheaper and easier too work with... Odd combination but I'm not complaining.

Yep, there's your ticket. Been doing it for 4 yrs that way. Easiest by far. Hit the grout lines at an angle (45-90) as applying.

Anyone using a spray can for sealer should be embarrassed. :shock:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
it comes in a spray can which is designed to be held upside down just like the can of spray they use for stripping. it uses the same holder.

gene

Jamesh921

Name
James
Anyone using a spray can for sealer should be embarrassed.

I'm not embarrassed, just smart. Custy gets a quality product and I get a quality check in hand. If you want to do it the hard way that's your perogative. Just because someone else does it differently than you doesn't mean their wrong or giving a lesser value product.

Don't be so quick to believe that YOUR way is the ONLY way things should be done.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Seriously though, about pricing. We charge .75¢ per sq. ft. and adjust down (usually but not always) depending on size, difficulty , time of cleaning (night or day), furniture moving, etc...

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
that grout stick works well....if you think you need more...then push down a little more

its not rocket since guys...roll that little bitch back and forth, going one way....then go cross the other way

TWICE

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Ron Werner said:
is there any application to the tile itself or does that make it too slippery or leave a residue?
no...it'll leave it hazy/cloudy and you will have to buff it off.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
miksar said:
Has anybody used the speedwheels for color sealing?
I haven't used 'em for color sealing...seems like the thickness of CS will clog it....I've had enough trouble with the plastic tip applicators clogging with boogers

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Most tile does not require sealer and will leave a haze if you do get sealer left on the tile. Sealer for the grout lines only. The exception is natural stone and some through-body ceramics.

Stop every 5 or 10 minutes and wipe it off with a damp terry towel or sponge or buff it off with a white floor pad after you finish the job.

Gary T

Don't seal the tile unless you wan't to come back later for free, and a major PITA to try to get the crap off the tiles depending on what you used. Just seal the grout.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
ron i get mine from D&B tile as my supplier doesn't carry it any more. i'll have to check the brand if you want to know. i used to do it one line at a time but at a show they compare the 2 products side by side and i didn't see any difference in the finished results. i tried it on my own with the same results. i did my grout in the kitchen 5 years ago half and half, guess i will have to go down and check both sides for beading.

gene

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Bee Busy said:
[quote="Ron Werner":gdr74frx]is there any application to the tile itself or does that make it too slippery or leave a residue?
no...it'll leave it hazy/cloudy and you will have to buff it off.[/quote:gdr74frx]
Our Ultraseal Impregnator is solvent-based fluorochemical . . .

and will not leave any haze, or cloudy film.

Spraying also makes the entire tile surface easier to clean for the homeowner.

Larry

Gary T

Do you have any idea how many times I've been called because some mope got lazy and sprayed sealer everywhere. Certain tiles can be sealed, but you better know what you are doing and limit how much you are using. It doesn't matter if it is flourochemical or not. 90% of the tile will not benefit even a tiny little bit from having sealer wiped all over it anyway. But hey, if you guys wanna spray sealer all over tile in Northern IL, Have at it. I make good $$$$$$ gettin that stuff off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom