Anybody ever had a 25 horse Kohler rebuilt?

jeremy parr

Name
Jeremy Parr
My trusty old Kohler with somewhere around 8000 hours on it has finally given up the ghost, she started spitting a bunch of oil out of the breather in the past couple months. She’s still running but it’s just a matter of time so I ordered a brand new one. I’m thinking of buying a rebuild kit and keeping the old one as a spare cause it’s got a bunch of new parts that were replaced in the past year, anybody ever use a motor that had been rebuilt?

jeremy parr

Name
Jeremy Parr
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200632772_200632772?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Engines >%20Kohler%20Horizontal%20Engines%20>%20601Cc%20-%20900Cc%20Kohler%20Horizontal%20Engines&utm_campaign=Kohler%20Engines&utm_content=44603&gclid=CjwKCAjw1ZbaBRBUEiwA4VQCIXxFLBGH1cjvjkWbcDDGHG2cJ4tcxJHz4403VYxeGhFGbGYocjJZ3BoCaLkQAvD_BwE
That’s a little one, cheapest price I could find new was 2200 but I would have to wait a month so I got one here local that was 2300 plus the tax and freight.

jeremy parr

Name
Jeremy Parr
Damn. I bought my 40 for $2700
Yeah, Steamway used a version with a larger crank and a 25 amp charging system so they’re a lot more. You can buy them for 1500 with a smaller crank and 15 amp stator. Unfortunately there were so many hours on it my mechanic said it’s basically a boat anchor, I’m gonna pull all the new parts off as spares and scrap it.

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
My trusty old Kohler with somewhere around 8000 hours on it has finally given up the ghost, she started spitting a bunch of oil out of the breather in the past couple months. She’s still running but it’s just a matter of time so I ordered a brand new one. I’m thinking of buying a rebuild kit and keeping the old one as a spare cause it’s got a bunch of new parts that were replaced in the past year, anybody ever use a motor that had been rebuilt?

just did a ton of work on my kohler 25hp. Both head gaskets, push rods, new hydraulic lifters, etc

had same thing was leaking bad out of the rebreather. Your at 8000 hrs thats a lot but I would still weigh the option of rebuilding it. Mines running like its brand new now and total cost was I think around $200

jeremy parr

Name
Jeremy Parr
just did a ton of work on my kohler 25hp. Both head gaskets, push rods, new hydraulic lifters, etc

had same thing was leaking bad out of the rebreather. Your at 8000 hrs thats a lot but I would still weigh the option of rebuilding it. Mines running like its brand new now and total cost was I think around $200
Good old Kohler, mine still runs like a champ too other than spitting the oil, pulled out the soaked air filter and had no problems running all day in 110 degree heat!

jeremy parr

Name
Jeremy Parr
If I did it I would do it right, but the engine guy with 30 years experience and my mechanic with 25 years experience said it’s not worth it because of the amount of hours. My mechanic said I’m actually closer to 9-10,000 hours on it so she had a good run!

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
I still think its worth a shot to at least fix the leaks... I can tell you that my $200 and 4hrs spent was very worth it.

I dont have as many hours as you, but considering you could have it probably running just fine for a small investment I would go for it

forgot to mention I also did crankcase as well which is just RTV, the head gaskets are like a $40 part, lifters were about $70, push rods $45

20180520_161952.jpg

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Kohler makes good stuff. My first engine on my White Magic lasted well over 10,000 hours. The last 2000 hours I ran it with a bad head gasket. Still ran great just loud. I never run them at full throttle like the distributors tell you to do for some reason.

Reactions: jeremy parr
Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
8k hours. They're not like a chevy small block from 30 years ago when a rebuild was locally available with skilled folks and made sense. Empty your coin jars and buy a new motor. Tulsa Engine Warehouse.

Reactions: jeremy parr

jeremy parr

Name
Jeremy Parr
8k hours. They're not like a chevy small block from 30 years ago when a rebuild was locally available with skilled folks and made sense. Empty your coin jars and buy a new motor. Tulsa Engine Warehouse.
Already did, just had it installed today, Tulsa was the lowest price by 40 bucks but didn’t have one in stock, don’t know if they were the lowest with shipping and tax, OPE engines was 2200 with no tax or shipping charge. It’s amazing how much quieter a new engine runs! I was just thinking of rebuilding the other as a spare.

image.jpg

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom