Am I just old fashioned?

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
I’m needing some perspective here.

Found a smokin’ hot deal on a nice, used Cimex 4 hours away this past Saturday evening for $600. They had tried to move it for double that for several weeks before marking it down. The banks are obviously closed on Sunday.

Made all the arrangements with the seller to purchase the machine at 4pm today, four hours away.

Get a text while I’m headed to the bank this morning stating that they have sold it for more than our previous agreement.

While I’m not upset, I’m disappointed. But not so much about the deal. What got me was the lack of integrity that is so common place today.

Growing up, the deal was this… if you had an agreement with someone on a deal, you kept your word until the deal was made or fell through. Then the next guy got his chance. I believe it’s called the right of first refusal or right of first offer.

Now, it’s the money talks, whoever shows up first thing. Reminds me of feeding livestock in a trough. 50 cattle mosh pitting over a few buckets of corn.

Am I wrong to expect better behavior of adults than I would of an animal or infant? Am I wrong to expect the same behavior of others that I expect from myself?

AI FredC

AI Bot
Name
AI
It's understandable that you're feeling disappointed and frustrated by this situation. The business world can indeed be ruthless and sometimes lacks the integrity and honesty that we would hope for.

Your expectations are not wrong or old-fashioned. In fact, they are based on principles of fairness, respect, and trust - values that are timeless and should be upheld in all aspects of life, including business. The right of first refusal or right of first offer, as you mentioned, is a principle that is still respected in many business transactions. It's a way to ensure that both parties are treated fairly and that agreements are honored.

However, it's also important to remember that not everyone shares these values or operates by the same principles. In a world where "money talks," some people may prioritize immediate gain over long-term relationships and reputation. This can lead to situations like the one you experienced, where a deal is broken in favor of a higher offer.

While it's disappointing when others don't meet our expectations, it's crucial not to let these experiences tarnish our own values and principles. Continue to operate with integrity and honesty, and you'll likely attract like-minded individuals and businesses.

In future transactions, it may be beneficial to secure a written agreement or deposit to protect your interests. This can help ensure that both parties are committed to the deal and provide some recourse if the agreement is broken.

Remember, your expectations are not old-fashioned - they are a reflection of your values and principles, which are essential in any successful business.

Reactions: SamIam

FredC

Village Idiot
I always tell folks that if somebody shows up with money before you I'll sell it/no holds. A bird in the hand and whatnot.

Had a guy get super pissed I sold an engine before he could get here last year..........but he was "running late" and I told his ass no holds.

Conversely I hate when I contact people and tell them I don't wish to negotiate, have the money in hand, and can be there quickly only to hear "well, I have some guy coming to look at it tomorrow"

but if you guys had what seemed like a firm deal it's a little fd up

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
I always tell folks that if somebody shows up with money before you I'll sell it/no holds. A bird in the hand and whatnot.

Had a guy get super pissed I sold an engine before he could get here last year..........but he was "running late" and I told his ass no holds.

Conversely I hate when I contact people and tell them I don't wish to negotiate, have the money in hand, and can be there quickly only to hear "well, I have some guy coming to look at it tomorrow"

but if you guys had what seemed like a firm deal it's a little fd up
I get it.

But I take behavior during a deal seriously. It tells a lot about a person. My Dad would’ve said, well people are whores with no honor, what did you expect Joe? Lol

Look at it this way, God is telling you that using a Cimex isn't OK anymore.

He invented the TOPS to actually extract dirt while you mow.....
I run both side by side often. God tells me the Cimex stays.

• Love
Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Luky

Name
Mario

Found a smokin’ hot deal on a nice, used Cimex 4 hours away this past Saturday evening for $600. They had tried to move it for double that for several weeks before marking it down. The banks are closed on Sunday.

Made all the arrangements with the seller to purchase the machine at 4pm today, four hours away.

Get a text while I’m headed to the bank this morning stating that they have sold it for more than our previous agreement.

While I’m not upset, I’m disappointed. But not so much about the deal. What got me was the lack of integrity that is so common place today.

Growing up, the deal was this… if you had an agreement with someone on a deal, you kept your word until the deal was made or fell through. Then the next guy got his chance. I believe it’s called the right of first refusal or right of first offer.

Now, it’s the money talks, whoever shows up first thing. Reminds me of feeding livestock in a trough. 50 cattle mosh pitting over a few buckets of corn.

Am I wrong to expect better behavior of adults than I would of an animal or infant? Am I wrong to expect the same behavior from others that I expect from myself?
We always take business dealings personally and sometimes get emotions to take over. A few factors played a role in this situation: You didn't have cash on you and half price attracts more buyers, more buyers transpire in auction-type purchases. Simple as that. I'm with you on keeping integrity intact, but when people are strapped for cash, they tend to act erratically. Speaking of cash I have a couple thousand on hand for situations like that ( especially Facebook's Market place is very fluid, I react fast and get stuff I find valuable right away, no delays. Don't feel bad though, sometimes swift action is not enough, people are trying to play mind games, looking out for themselves only. You'll find your " Cimex" when is time. The fact they wanted to move the machine for $1200 and then cut the price in half can be a sign that they needed to move it fast,( for whatever reason ) and maybe driving for four hours and seeing that the condition wasn't there, would make you more vexed.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton

Found a smokin’ hot deal on a nice, used Cimex 4 hours away this past Saturday evening for $600. They had tried to move it for double that for several weeks before marking it down. The banks are obviously closed on Sunday.

Am I wrong to expect better behavior of adults than I would of an animal or infant? Am I wrong to expect the same behavior of others that I expect from myself?

I've been through that on both sides.

Just last month I drove 5 hours to a meet with a guy who promised money was in hand for the equipment he wanted. We talked the night before I left and he confirmed he had it.

When I arrived, he and his partner wasted an hour of my time before confessing that they decided before I arrived that they couldn't afford to spend the money.

Nothing could be accomplished by me being unpleasant about it. I was courteous, and then left.

I just thought I had learned enough about human nature by the time I reached 64 not to be taken in by empty promises.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I have had a lot of interesting experiences over the years selling our used Butlers. We recondition them and get them looking and performing well and sell them, not hiding anything. Sometimes things break though. I have had a few people over the years though that assume that we are selling brand new vehicle.

I recently sold one that they wanted me to repair some stuff after they had it for over a month. I had to remind them that they are sold AS-IS! This same guy, before buying it, twice took it to his local mechanic for an evaluation.

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
I've been through that on both sides.

Just last month I drove 5 hours to a meet with a guy who promised money was in hand for the equipment he wanted. We talked the night before I left and he confirmed he had it.

When I arrived, he and his partner wasted an hour of my time before confessing that they decided before I arrived that they couldn't afford to spend the money.

Nothing could be accomplished by me being unpleasant about it. I was courteous, and then left.

I just thought I had learned enough about human nature by the time I reached 64 not to be taken in by empty promises.
I hate to hear that. That sort of thing is, to me, 100% inexcusable. In all matters of business, what you say should always be followed through.

I remember how pissed off my Dad would get in his business when someone would pull a stunt like that. It always made me want to do everything I could to avoid earning a reputation as someone who doesn’t keep their word.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton
Name
Nate W.
I've been on both sides of the issue.. Yes I'm a man of my word when selling or buying something.. Can you really blame them for selling it for more? Unless you could meet them NOW, you'll always be guessing.. I've offered more for things that were priced cheap, it just depends on how bad I wanted it.. I don't like getting into bidding wars.. If I want something but not need it, I'll call their bluff and hope for the best..

Either way, 4 hours isn't down the street!

Reactions: Luky and AlienAgent

Mikey P

Administrator
FB_IMG_1690285637118.jpg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have had a lot of interesting experiences over the years selling our used Butlers. We recondition them and get them looking and performing well and sell them, not hiding anything. Sometimes things break though. I have had a few people over the years though that assume that we are selling brand new vehicle.

I recently sold one that they wanted me to repair some stuff after they had it for over a month. I had to remind them that they are sold AS-IS! This same guy, before buying it, twice took it to his local mechanic for an evaluation.
I buy and sell used equipment often. I make sure everything is working and always caution people that these are used machines with no warranty. That's why they're so much cheaper than new machines. There are no refunds or exchanges. I expect to be full grown and know what they are doing. I go out of my way to train them at times and advise them. I had a person the other day want to return a machine. Nothing wrong with it, he found a better deal somewhere else lse, according to him. I just told him too bad, should have found that deal first.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
We always take business dealings personally and sometimes get emotions to take over. A few factors played a role in this situation: You didn't have cash on you and half price attracts more buyers, more buyers transpire in auction-type purchases. Simple as that. I'm with you on keeping integrity intact, but when people are strapped for cash, they tend to act erratically. Speaking of cash I have a couple thousand on hand for situations like that ( especially Facebook's Market place is very fluid, I react fast and get stuff I find valuable right away, no delays. Don't feel bad though, sometimes swift action is not enough, people are trying to play mind games, looking out for themselves only. You'll find your " Cimex" when is time. The fact they wanted to move the machine for $1200 and then cut the price in half can be a sign that they needed to move it fast,( for whatever reason ) and maybe driving for four hours and seeing that the condition wasn't there, would make you more vexed.
Couple a grand huh? So where do you
Feel would be a safe spot to stash such a.......stash? Dogs perhaps.???
How bout alarms and such?
Asking for a friend!

Luky

Name
Mario
Couple a grand huh? So where do you
Feel would be a safe spot to stash such a.......stash? Dogs perhaps.???
How bout alarms and such?
Asking for a friend!
Are you running every other day to your local bank? I don't and since checks are not one of the payment forms in my books, I have a little cave in my backyard for the stash.
How long will take you to find it?
And I thought perps are fearful of firearms.
Jus answering as a former military from abroad 😉

Reactions: Cleanworks
Name
Swani

That's a bummer that you missed out on it. Couldn't you just pull $600 from the ATM or done a Venmo transaction? Anyway hind site is 20/20.

I was selling a trailer on market place, and I had a guy message me Saturday night and he wanted to buy it site unseen and asked if I'd hold it until Monday. I said sure. I had several other messages and people inquire that wanted to come look at it and said they had cash in hand. I held to my word and said it was basically sold. One of them even offered me more money, but I said it was to late the deal had been made. Well, on Monday the guy that I made the deal with ghosted me and never showed. He later text and said he couldn't come or buy the trailer.

• Angry
Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Man, that sucks. When I bought my last Cimex, Diana was leery of the deal because of the price and distance. I questioned the seller about it which almost insulted him. We met halfway between OKC and Chicago. Lord have mercy it wound up being one of the best deals I’ve made. I paid cash. Diana didn’t like me doing that for safety reasons.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
That's a bummer that you missed out on it. Couldn't you just pull $600 from the ATM or done a Venmo transaction? Anyway hind site is 20/20.

I was selling a trailer on market place, and I had a guy message me Saturday night and he wanted to buy it site unseen and asked if I'd hold it until Monday. I said sure. I had several other messages and people inquire that wanted to come look at it and said they had cash in hand. I held to my word and said it was basically sold. One of them even offered me more money, but I said it was to late the deal had been made. Well, on Monday the guy that I made the deal with ghosted me and never showed. He later text and said he couldn't come or buy the trailer.
I've learned that the first one with cash in hand gets the prize. I've had people swear they'll come in a day or two and never show up. Just sold the dirt dragon for $1000. 2 old portables for $1200.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
The world is full of flakes-- So Money talks bullshit walks.
Your verbal agreement wasn't valid because you didn't offer "consideration"
If you wanted to lockin the deal, you should have given him a deposit.

Is AI capable of giving more concise responses? I understand that AI's responses are full of useful info, but my attention span is too short to read the full text.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom