All I’m hearing is no…

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
So I’ve ramped up my sales and marketing the past few months. Door to door commercial cold calling, emailing every place I can find contact information for, doing free demos, introductory sales letters followed up with an email followed up with a phone call, Facebook ads, everything I can do when I’m not actually cleaning.

I’ve been working 10 to 16 hours per day, 6 or 7 days a week for the entire summer into the fall. 6 months of this kind of effort. I haven’t done one fun thing in half a year.

And all I’m hearing… is no. Every 40 to 60 new contacts, I get to give a qoute. I do work for maybe 1 out of 5. I’m cleaning commercial carpet for $.15 to $.18 a foot, I was at $.25 ten years ago. Nobody wants anything but a one time cleaning.

I suspect that despite my “minty fresh breath” and lifetime of business and sales experience, there is little hope for business growth in my area for the next few years.

Either something has changed, culture-wise, about what is an acceptable level of filth in commercial places or we are entering a terrible recession. I suspect that the money just isn’t there.

I’m not even going to lie, I’m finding this to be quite depressing. Sometimes I feel like I’m just begging to work my ass off for someone, and nobody is interested. What a huge difference since the winter of 2019.

What are you guys experiencing in your areas with commercial sales? (I’m in rural southwest Ohio, over an hour from Cincinnati and Dayton)

FredC

Village Idiot
1 out of 5 doesn't seem bad. Maybe you just need a more efficient way of reaching them.

probably easier said than done in BFE Ohio though

Reactions: AlienAgent

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
1 out of 5 doesn't seem bad. Maybe you just need a more efficient way of reaching them.

probably easier said than done in BFE Ohio though
250 emails to get 1 or 2 jobs, usually under $500 is demoralizing! Lol

I’m just waiting for my son to turn 18 and move out so I can get close to Cincinnati or Dayton. I’m tired of spending $200 a week in fuel to gross $700-1200.

Reactions: SamIam

FredC

Village Idiot

I’m just waiting for my son to turn 18 and move out so I can get close to Cincinnati or Dayton. I’m tired of spending $200 a week in fuel to gross $700-1200.

email, while having one of the best ROIs, isn't usually the best choice for marketing a service. Are you using a service that track read rates? I'd be surprised if most are even opened.

Are you sticking strictly to the rural area now or is that money being spent on fuel to get to the city.

If not and that is where the work is , and your future plans, maybe that is where you should focus some of the door to door and other marketing.

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
No, I’m just searching out places I think would need the services we provide on Google Maps (that are within an hour to an hour and half drive) and send them an email. I wouldn’t be surprised if they aren’t being read either. I can only stand to make so many phone calls and emails I can send out anytime. Sometimes I’m searching and sending emails until midnight after cleaning and doing truck/equipment maintenance during the day.

That fuel money is what it costs me to drive to and from the jobs I get. I usually drive 20 to 45 minutes one way to my local jobs. Heck, it’s a 15-20 minute drive just to get to town from my house.

I’ve been focusing about 75% of my efforts with the email and phone calls towards the west side of Cincy and the south side of Dayton. 25% locally trying to get some of the places I never could get around here.

I just got off the phone with the guy who handles the facility management for a bank chain with several locations within an hour of me. He says they don’t use my kind of services much, and claims they already have local vendors they use, wasn’t interested in me submitting info to be a future vendor and they have mostly tile and grout now that doesn’t have to be cleaned, they will just rip up and replace when it gets dirty. W…T…F.

Replace tile when it gets dirty?

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
Any face tattoos?
I might as well have one.

I’m 6’2, 230 and fit. Clean cut, trimmed beard, wear a nice collared shirt with a clean, fresh pair of jeans and new shoes. Minty breath and all.

I’ve never seen this level of non interest in sales before this year.

I’m thinking the economy in my area is about to fall off the cliff for the next few years. It reminds me of when our areas largest employer left. Google DHL/ Airborne leaving Wilmington, OH. It was devastating.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I’ve been working 10 to 16 hours per day, 6 or 7 days a week for the entire summer into the fall. I haven’t done one fun thing in half a year.
I’m tired of spending $200 a week in fuel to gross $700-1200.

:headscratch: what?
is that $7-1200 a day or a week :eekk:for 10-16 hour days, 6-7 day a week for the past 6 months??

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I’ve noticed people like me better with a beard. I think I’m too Clark Kent-ish without one.

yeah, that's just what I was thinking....

MXUC2101.JPG

I don't think so Tim

IMG_2583.JPG

..L.T.A.

• Haha
Reactions: hogjowl

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
:headscratch: what?
is that $7-1200 a day or a week :eekk:for 10-16 hour days, 6-7 day a week for the past 6 months??

..L.T.A.
Per week. I’m considering anything related to my business to be work. Cleaning, maintenance, sales and marketing, drive time.

This is what it takes to make a living in a low population density, low income rural area. Actually, this is what it takes to grow beyond being able to stay in business and just pay the bills.

Median household income $37k, per capita $22k. Our poverty rate is nearly 30%.

• Sad
Reactions: Dolly Llama

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It’s an ass kicking to live down here. I’ve been in business here since 2012.

When I see all the guys on Facebook in those groups talking the numbers they get, I just think how they have no clue how easy they have it.
Are you a member of your local chamber of commerce? I find that's a good source of net working. Do you have any sports programs you can advertise in? These don't get you a lot of work but really helps with brand recognition. Parents who have their kids enrolled in these sports often gravitate to sponsors. If you keep lowering your prices, you'll get a reputation for being that "cheap guy". I have more work than I can handle these days but I am in a large metropolitan area. When I need commercial work, I go industrial park complexes. I walk in, introduce myself to the receptionist, explain that I work in the area and am looking to increase my customer base locally. Is there someone I can speak to about giving a free estimate for whatever service? I usually get to speak to someone in charge. Give them a business card and let them know I am a local cleaner, drop some names of nearby clients, if I have some, ask them if they have any concerns about their flooring maintenance, etc. I keep it casual and friendly, bring some written references or reviews. Steer them to my website for additional info. If I don't make a sale then, I ask if there a good time to reach out to them again, then follow up. I can see it being more difficult in a rural area.

Mikey P

Administrator

I don't know man, you may want to check with God about that.

Sounds like his country is chock full of Broke Dick carpet cleaners

• Haha

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
Are you a member of your local chamber of commerce? I find that's a good source of net working. Do you have any sports programs you can advertise in? These don't get you a lot of work but really helps with brand recognition. Parents who have their kids enrolled in these sports often gravitate to sponsors. If you keep lowering your prices, you'll get a reputation for being that "cheap guy". I have more work than I can handle these days but I am in a large metropolitan area. When I need commercial work, I go industrial park complexes. I walk in, introduce myself to the receptionist, explain that I work in the area and am looking to increase my customer base locally. Is there someone I can speak to about giving a free estimate for whatever service? I usually get to speak to someone in charge. Give them a business card and let them know I am a local cleaner, drop some names of nearby clients, if I have some, ask them if they have any concerns about their flooring maintenance, etc. I keep it casual and friendly, bring some written references or reviews. Steer them to my website for additional info. If I don't make a sale then, I ask if there a good time to reach out to them again, then follow up. I can see it being more difficult in a rural area.
No, I’m not a member of any of the local backslapper clubs. It probably couldn’t hurt to join and suffer through it though. I’ve always been apprehensive about sticking my hand in a bucket of snakes.

The sports scene is saturated with every insurance agent, real estate agent of the week, hvac, appliance place you can imagine. I’d rather put some signage on the van and box truck and park them around town, for the money.

$.18 is what I’m trying to use to gain more traction with new commercial accounts, I’m $.42 for residential.

The industrial park idea is great, I have planned on taking a few days when everything slows down to make the drive to Cincinnati to do that. The industrial parks here in Highland county are not worth the time. I attached some pics to explain.

These businesses are not interested in any cleaning, whatsoever. It’s a dead end. I did a fantastic demo for our local movie theater. The owner is on a month long vacation in Italy, yet a $500 yearly carpet cleaning is out of the question. In nearly 30 years the seats have never been cleaned. That’s the mindset here. There is a class of upper crust, who take the money and run, while everything falls apart around them.

As much as dislike being as negative as I have been on this post, I don’t have anyone to vent to about these matters. And I thought maybe what discussion comes out of this could help some of the other rural cleaners who might visit this site, as well as myself.

F1F2B143-84FB-4198-85AC-21FEBA625A7C.png 6DC3238D-DBDD-4A90-A363-64BFD10E9413.png 0932DC31-364A-4E92-AE86-C91DD491F114.png

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
I don't know man, you may want to check with God about that.

Sounds like his country is chock full of Broke Dick carpet cleaners.
It’s a tough situation to work your way out of. I blame myself for not leaving the day I graduated high school. God did a great job making the beautiful scenery, his people fell short on making it a prosperous place.

My parents moved down here when I was three from a huge house in the suburbs with an in ground pool.

I used to go visit family in that area on the weekends, so I always knew how much the area didn’t measure up. The indigenous locals, don’t know any better and are content eating hot dogs and macaroni until they die a early death.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It’s a tough situation to work your way out of. I blame myself for not leaving the day I graduated high school. God did a great job making the beautiful scenery, his people fell short on making it a prosperous place.

My parents moved down here when I was three from a huge house in the suburbs with an in ground pool.

I used to go visit family in that area on the weekends, so I always knew how much the area didn’t measure up. The indigenous locals, don’t know any better and are content eating hot dogs and macaroni until they die a early death.
I see what you mean. Pretty slim pickings. Are you doing any encap? Very quick and easy on cgd. With the right products you can do as good or better than HWE. Using the customers electricity. I just did a hotel today with my Phoenix. $1800 for 4 hours work and some prep time making up my chemical. Had a discussion about doing some rooms but I am not too interested in that type of work. If you want to do hotel rooms you have to be very firm in how many you need at a time. If you can make it into the city, look for high end high rise condo buildings. I make good money doing their hallways. If you want to solicit property management companies, see if the receptionist will email you the contact info for all their individual managers, then contact them. Focus on your state of the Art equipment and fast drying times, etc. Today's job, the maintenance supervisor came down to tell me how impressed he was that the carpets on the 4 the floor were already dry. I was on the second floor by then.

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
I see what you mean. Pretty slim pickings. Are you doing any encap? Very quick and easy on cgd. With the right products you can do as good or better than HWE. Using the customers electricity. I just did a hotel today with my Phoenix. $1800 for 4 hours work and some prep time making up my chemical. Had a discussion about doing some rooms but I am not too interested in that type of work. If you want to do hotel rooms you have to be very firm in how many you need at a time. If you can make it into the city, look for high end high rise condo buildings. I make good money doing their hallways. If you want to solicit property management companies, see if the receptionist will email you the contact info for all their individual managers, then contact them. Focus on your state of the Art equipment and fast drying times, etc. Today's job, the maintenance supervisor came down to tell me how impressed he was that the carpets on the 4 the floor were already dry. I was on the second floor by then.
Yes, I encap almost all commercial at this point. Your strategy is exactly what I’m planning to implement.

That said, I’ve been targeting places like this in Cincinnati and Dayton with no success. That’s why I think we have some serious economic issues coming, at least in Ohio.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Do you have a website? The reason I ask is that I am in an area similar to yours and a high ranking website has been my bread and butter for residential. I don't do any Adwords or anything.

Also, your residential pricing may be too high if the median income is really that low. Surely there are some rich people somewhere nearby?

Sounds like you are chasing mostly commercial, but don't overlook the homes. In a market like that you may have to charge a little less, but leave out the dog and pony show. No tarps and cornerguards, just get the open areas looking good and get onto the next one. All these guys charging .60 a ft. don't live in little hick towns like some of us.

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
Things have tightened up here as well. I just sold one of my two vans. I was planning on going two vans . It’s just not the right time to expand for me. I had two vans for a little over a year. I keeping the truckmount and other equipment for now. We’ll see. I might unload it also. It’s not making anything sitting in storage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom