A new franchise in town

Name
Kevin De Medeiros
I'm not sure how well that military theme works with women but gotta give him props for thinking out of the box. Looks very professional and thought out. However, nowadays if people are going to by into a carpet cleaning franchise its going to be a proven national franchise with a proven track record with bulletproof marketing and corporate systems. Otherwise what are getting? Equipment , a wrapped truck and some guy saying u can make money with this?

Reactions: KevinL and BIG WOOD

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Gary Hite will have a booth in Vegas.
Coit, Chem Dry, SS none of the big boys ever do..
just PCS..

The big name franchises rarely want an independent guy in their ranks.

It takes a unique and rare type of self discipline to forget all the things you learned as a independent and then become part of a franchise mind set.

The best franchisees are people who appreciate a turn key opportunity, who see themselves as a part of a bigger group, and who will follow where they are lead by people they have to (and should based upon what they are paying) trust to be right.

That mindset is rarely part of the psyche of the "lone wolf" independent cleaner. Thus why it makes little sense to market to such a group.

Simply put: Most guys who have gone it alone for any period of time would be a pain in their....backsides.

The Wizard

Hey Mikey, I have a bunch to say about this, too much of it is negative ...

I could tell you stories you wouldn't ever believe …

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Mikey P

Administrator
I'll make it easy on you Ian...

What made you feel that you really had something of value to sell?
What convinced you at the time that your skills were transferable?
How many takers?
How many did you turn down?
What were your fees and residuals?
Are any still going?
How would you do it differently if given the chance?
Can/could you provide value to the franchisees while still running a business?
Which existing franchise do you admire most?

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I originally set up my company with the hopes of Franchising.. Then I discovered I'd have to do the Nearly Impossible...
Which was to tell Carpet cleaners what to do!
An egotistical, strongly independent and authority deifying group who wants to do it their way. I just didn't have the will power to administer "the Beatings"
The good prospects go on to became OOs of their own business.

Reactions: Cleanworks

The Wizard

Any answers I have would be just rehashing negative shit. No point in bringing negative vibes and energy to my life. I am real happy where I am at in life and with my business, as we approach 30 years of being in business.

I wish The Army Crew all the best.

B Reid

Name
Brian Reid
He's a ************** guy out of Murrieta, CA..
I think he started his carpet cleaning business about 3 or 4 yrs ago.

Last edited:

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
If you look at the fact that women make or influence most cleaning related decisions, both in residential as well as commercial/institutional, I don't think that the hyper masculine approach shown here will form a lasting impression on the market place.

Im here to remove your spot ..

FguIOns.jpg

The Wizard

Ok, here is my take.

Most anyone can clean carpets. Most have no idea how to market themselves, create a logo and name that can be easily recognizable to consumers. Most have no idea about systems and how to implement them.

When all of us get into carpet cleaning we dream of having a successful business, a business that can create an above average income so we and our families can enjoy a better quality of life. We know it can be done as there are examples in our industry that have proven it can be done.

So think of all the things one needs to start and create a successful business.

First thing is, do you posses the necessary attributes, personality, characteristics and drive to be a successful business owner.

Ok so you have bought your equipment. You now have a blank canvas. Your truck is most likely just white. You need to come up with a company name. You need to create a logo, business cards, letterheads, websites, embroidered shirts and jackets. You need a lot of things. You need things you don't even realize you need.

You also need to know the markets your going to go after. How best to go after your chosen markets. You need a clear, detailed precise marketing plan and the required marketing pieces to go after new business. Do most people poses the ability to create all of this, or even know what they need to create ?

So this is where a franchise comes in. It can be done a couple ways. Let's take for example The Maters Touch People, with their Tile and Grout Cleaning. They put together the equipment package, a couple of marketing pieces along with some training. They have examples of people who have been successful and we all think we can do it better than that successful person. And off they go. They charges an upfront fee for their equipment and no monthly fees or royalties.

Then you have the full blown national Franchises. They have put together everything someone need to be in business. Company name logo's ect. You go for your week long training or however long it is and away you go. You pay big bucks for these national franchises. Up front costs, monthly fees, royalties. Your locked into using their chemicals so on and so on.

Ok here is a couple of questions for everyone.

How long have you been in business for?

Think back to the early days of your business … how long did it take and how much money over that period of time did it take you to create your companies image? How long did it take you come up with a successful marketing plan? How much did you spend on advertising mistakes? How long was it it and maybe your still trying to pinpoint a precise marketing missile. How about all the other things, phones scripts, reminder service cards, follow up service comment cards, the list goes on and on.

So if a company has been successful, has created a likeable and recognizeable name and logo, and has created all the necessary market pieces, reminder cards, comment cards, sales letters, fridge magnets, spotter bottles, the list goes on and on and they have for their own existing business infastructure in place so they can come and go and spend required time with their new franchise people then it can be a great thing for both the person selling the franchise and the person buying into it.

If the franchise seller is not greedy, sells the franchise at a fair price and is ethical, great strides in time money and resources can be made.

Here is the difficulty. The person buying the franchise. Does he or she really have it in them to be successful ?
Is the franchise seller honest, ethical and really prepared to help you get up on your feet and running along nicely.

All things to be taken into consideration.

The Dirt Army

Name
Gary
Gary Hite will have a booth in Vegas.
Coit, Chem Dry, SS none of the big boys ever do..

just PCS..
Thanks Mike for posting this flyer. Please visit booth #813 and talk to my franchise attorney. We cannot sell anything for 3-4 months. We are attending The Experience to interact with prospective franchisees. I trademarked the Dirt Army 2 years ago hoping this day would arrive. It has

The Dirt Army

Name
Gary
Can you summarize the average inquirer?
We have been getting inquiries from all over the United States and probably 25 countries. We have had people already in the business, people that are in the chemical sales business and other cleaning type businesses and other people just looking to get into the business because they simply have had bad experiences or haven't seen anything quite like what we have done to market our business.

The Dirt Army

Name
Gary
Ok, here is my take.

Most anyone can clean carpets. Most have no idea how to market themselves, create a logo and name that can be easily recognizable to consumers. Most have no idea about systems and how to implement them.

When all of us get into carpet cleaning we dream of having a successful business, a business that can create an above average income so we and our families can enjoy a better quality of life. We know it can be done as there are examples in our industry that have proven it can be done.

So think of all the things one needs to start and create a successful business.

First thing is, do you posses the necessary attributes, personality, characteristics and drive to be a successful business owner.

Ok so you have bought your equipment. You now have a blank canvas. Your truck is most likely just white. You need to come up with a company name. You need to create a logo, business cards, letterheads, websites, embroidered shirts and jackets. You need a lot of things. You need things you don't even realize you need.

You also need to know the markets your going to go after. How best to go after your chosen markets. You need a clear, detailed precise marketing plan and the required marketing pieces to go after new business. Do most people poses the ability to create all of this, or even know what they need to create ?

So this is where a franchise comes in. It can be done a couple ways. Let's take for example The Maters Touch People, with their Tile and Grout Cleaning. They put together the equipment package, a couple of marketing pieces along with some training. They have examples of people who have been successful and we all think we can do it better than that successful person. And off they go. They charges an upfront fee for their equipment and no monthly fees or royalties.

Then you have the full blown national Franchises. They have put together everything someone need to be in business. Company name logo's ect. You go for your week long training or however long it is and away you go. You pay big bucks for these national franchises. Up front costs, monthly fees, royalties. Your locked into using their chemicals so on and so on.

Ok here is a couple of questions for everyone.

How long have you been in business for?

Think back to the early days of your business … how long did it take and how much money over that period of time did it take you to create your companies image? How long did it take you come up with a successful marketing plan? How much did you spend on advertising mistakes? How long was it it and maybe your still trying to pinpoint a precise marketing missile. How about all the other things, phones scripts, reminder service cards, follow up service comment cards, the list goes on and on.

So if a company has been successful, has created a likeable and recognizeable name and logo, and has created all the necessary market pieces, reminder cards, comment cards, sales letters, fridge magnets, spotter bottles, the list goes on and on and they have for their own existing business infastructure in place so they can come and go and spend required time with their new franchise people then it can be a great thing for both the person selling the franchise and the person buying into it.

If the franchise seller is not greedy, sells the franchise at a fair price and is ethical, great strides in time money and resources can be made.

Here is the difficulty. The person buying the franchise. Does he or she really have it in them to be successful ?
Is the franchise seller honest, ethical and really prepared to help you get up on your feet and running along nicely.

All things to be taken into consideration.
Well said. Strong marketing through the franchise, extensive training for franchisees to learn how to market their business, and maybe most importantly the right people. A franchise is only as successful as the people it brings on. They need to have the desire and the right personality and demeanor to represent themselves and the company.

Mikey P

Administrator
How long have you been at this game Gary?

Would you mind describing the size and activity of your company?

How adept at stone restoration is your company and will you be including stone training in your franchise package?

How has your video been doing veiw wise in the last week?

Duo you think its remotely possible to duplicate it's virtual success?

Can you share a bit about your chemical line, are they original or private labeled popular products, will your franchise contract demand their usage, will the public have access to the line up?

Thanks Gary!!

The Dirt Army

Name
Gary
How about words of advice on how to determine if what you have is "Franchise-able"?
The first impression of the brand has been consistently favorable. I have learned how to market myself through the brand. My customers like the work I am doing for them and most of their feedback is very positive. We get referred often. We have a solid base of repeat business. Out in the field we are professional and we really connect to our clients. We have a strong team involved in making this business venture happen and we are dedicated to providing the tools, training, and support to succeed.

Reactions: Mikey P

The Dirt Army

Name
Gary
How long have you been at this game Gary?

Would you mind describing the size and activity of your company?

How adept at stone restoration is your company and will you be including stone training in your franchise package?

How has your video been doing veiw wise in the last week?

Duo you think its remotely possible to duplicate it's virtual success?

Can you share a bit about your chemical line, are they original or private labeled popular products, will your franchise contract demand their usage, will the public have access to the line up?

Thanks Gary!!
The origins of the my business go back to 2008 so I guess it's been about 8 years. I got serious about the business in 2011 and have had solid growth every year since. I ran as owner-operator for quite a while. I have been operating with only a single van. I have the capacity to do more work but I won't compromise with talent so I will expand my operation when I find the right people to add to my field team. Right now I could be busy 7 days a week if I wanted to push it.

We do a lot of carpets and tile along with upholstery and everything else. Lately, for obvious reasons, we have been slammed with tile jobs.

We've done our share of stone work and plan on providing extensive training on all floor types in addition to marketing and business management training.

The video has been amazing. I have been so busy lately I'm not sure how many times people have looked at it. Last time I looked it had over 11 million views. You never know how these things are going to be received but I do have some interesting things I am working on now that I have high expectations for and I'm sure the public will like. In the near future you will be hearing from me again.

The chemical line is coming together nicely. We have special formulations we are working on and have been marketing to consumers. Once we do roll out the franchising we will likely have our partners use our products but they will be both cost and job effective.

The Dirt Army

Name
Gary
Great topic.

At this point, you can't stop the infiltration of "the new guy in town".

Therefore, I see this as a great opportunity for the One Owner operator as a sales tool opportunity. Franchises normally want to grow big and expand. This means employing more people and this starts the crucial "variables". The Owner Operator (normally) will always do a much better job and offer much better information and results because they control the wand, and not some secretary polishing her nails back at the home office. Every situation is sometimes different and the owner operator realizes this and takes it to heart. Franchises are scripted.

The list goes on and so does the sales advantages for the little guy.

Best to all
Good Points Ed. That's the beauty of our model. Yes, we are looking to franchise but not quite the same way it has been going in this industry. Our model is to groom hungry owner/operators to learn how to market themselves, manage and grow their business, and make their own opportunities. We want the franchise to be successful so we will be selective on who we work with and won't be selling shops all over the place so that franchisees fight over business and cannibalize each other to scratch out a buck

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom