62 year old carpet

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Today I cleaned a wall to wall wool carpet in a local bar that was installed in 1958. The carpet was red with some black, white and yellow patterns swooping around. This was the forth time I’ve cleaned this bar. I wanted to make a video of the experience but the owner did not want me taking any videos or pics of his bar. No biggie, I respected his wishes. I’ll say this though, when you step into the place, you’ve been transported back to a 1950’s speak-easy. Red carpet, dimly lit, orange leather booths.

The carpet cleaned up great. Approximately 800sqft. Used my Wool safe prespray, Dev wand to edge, and my Zipper SS for the heavy lifting. You would never know it was 62 years old. A true testament to the power of wool.

Sorry guys, no pics.

Last edited:

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
20ish yr old wool covered in old lady tea stains today (3 jobs today all wool)
20200618_145033.jpg

next friday got 20yr old wool never been cleaned (still doesnt look bad, amazing house) I'll shoot Marty some video

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Today I cleaned a wall to wall wool carpet in a local bar that was installed in 1958. The carpet was red with some black, white and yellow patterns swooping around. This was the forth time I’ve cleaned this bar. I wanted to make a video of the experience but the owner did not want me taking any videos or pics of his bar. No biggie, I respected his wishes. I’ll say this though, when you step into the place, you’ve been transported back to a 1950’s speak-easy. Red carpet, dimly lit, orange leather booths.

The carpet cleaned up great. Approximately 800sqft. Used my Wool safe prespray, Dev wand to edge, and my Zipper SS for the heavy lifting. You would never know it was 62 years old. A true testament to the power of wool.

Sorry guys, no pics.

That carpet should be around long after you've gone to that Wendy's in the sky to accompany the harps with your banjo.

You might get nailed with some jute browning if you get the backing wet, so maybe next time skip the Zipper.

Nice story!

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
That carpet should be around long after you've gone to that Wendy's in the sky to accompany the harps with your banjo.

You might get nailed with some jute browning if you get the backing wet, so maybe next time skip the Zipper.

Nice story!
Ha, thanks Jim. I slow dry pass and set fans out. Also used an acid rinse. Never had an issue, but if it does happen, good thing the place is dark :).

@Hack Attack , wow, three wool carpets in one day! I hardly ever see that in my area.

Name
Jeff T
Ha, thanks Jim. I slow dry pass and set fans out. Also used an acid rinse. Never had an issue, but if it does happen, good thing the place is dark :).

@Hack Attack , wow, three wool carpets in one day! I hardly ever see that in my area.
Dan lives in the land of wool... I’m pretty sure wool is as common as nylon in NZ...

Reactions: Hack Attack
Name
Jeff T
Dan lives in the land of wool... I’m pretty sure wool is as common as nylon in NZ...
I have a client that has Merino wool in her master bedroom, walk-in closet, and spare bedroom. She told me it was 85K to buy and install....
She also told me, they had to fly in a company approved installer in order to keep the warranty....

• Wow
Reactions: Nomad74

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have a client that has Merino wool in her master bedroom, walk-in closet, and spare bedroom. She told me it was 85K to buy and install....
She also told me, they had to fly in a company approved installer in order to keep the warranty....
I have a customer with goat hair carpet. Goat wool.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
My Grandpa was a carpet installer and was the Vice Prez of the carpet union in the East Bay. He always told everyone wool carpet was the way to go. After cleaning this 62 year old carpet four times and seeing the results, I'm a believer. Too bad it's so expensive. After reading up on it, it seems to be a healthier decision as well.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
My Grandpa was a carpet installer and was the Vice Prez of the carpet union in the East Bay. He always told everyone wool carpet was the way to go. After cleaning this 62 year old carpet four times and seeing the results, I'm a believer. Too bad it's so expensive. After reading up on it, it seems to be a healthier decision as well.

If not for our mobile society and short attention span when it comes to interior decor, it could easily be proven that wool carpet is the best investment for long term durability.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Although wool is very durable it's not without some issues. Wool will keep shedding for the life of the carpet. Clogs up your vacuum and you will see wool fibre drifting in the air. Wool is also subject to pooling or shading. I just a 5 year old wool carpet in a condo and although it cleaned up great. It has large areas of pooling scattered through out the unit. It's part of the patina but can look unsightly.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Although wool is very durable it's not without some issues. Wool will keep shedding for the life of the carpet. Clogs up your vacuum and you will see wool fibre drifting in the air. Wool is also subject to pooling or shading. I just a 5 year old wool carpet in a condo and although it cleaned up great. It has large areas of pooling scattered through out the unit. It's part of the patina but can look unsightly.
What's pooling? Is that dye migration?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
A good explanation here:

Back "in the day", carpet retailers would tell people that pooling was a part of the natural beauty of only the best quality carpets, and their customer should be grateful that the carpet they purchased was proven to be the best.

People were more gullible and forgiving then than now, to say the least.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
A good explanation here:

Back "in the day", carpet retailers would tell people that pooling was a part of the natural beauty of only the best quality carpets, and their customer should be grateful that the carpet they purchased was proven to be the best.

People were more gullible and forgiving then than now, to say the least.
Oh ok, I always referred to it as Knap (Nap?) reversal. Thanks Jim.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Is wool still the textile of choice in airplanes,? due to it's fire retardant charachteristic. ?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
OH MY WORD!

THAT WAS UNCALLED FOR................YOU........YOU........SNIPE!

Hack Attack

Name
Dan

sales stats say wool is about 20% of our market, but because it can last and I'm in a rural area wool is around 50% what I do... I get sulky and want to go home when I come across poly

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Oh ok, I always referred to it as Knap (Nap?) reversal. Thanks Jim.
spent an hour with a customer and a loss adjuster yesterday trying to explain to the customer the pooling/shadowing is not a defect or water damage (place had been flooded and with all furniture out it was more obvious)

the loss adjuster knew what it was but customer isn't convinced.. the adjusters problem, call me gone!

roro

Name
Ross Craig
What's pooling? Is that dye migration?

Well put in snippet below Damon.
. In early days we tried to do corrections with very very limited and usually only temporary success with pile-lifters. Problem is it can happen years after it has been laid and manufacturers have come up with all sorts of theories but nothing conclusive.

"Featured snippet from the web
"Pooling' and 'watermarking' are forms of pile reversal that can change the appearance of both wool and synthetic carpets. ... Even the best and most expensive carpets can pool. Unfortunately it is irreversible and permanent."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom