"Your hose burned my grass..."

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine last night while sitting by their pool. Basically they told me that my solution hose was so hot that you could see the outline of my hose all through their grass while I was there. Basically it was there for a few months until that grass grew back. I was shocked to hear this because I know for a fact that I asked them if things were good with the job. As their friends I could tell they were holding something back but I couldn't tell what.

Next they told me that another mutual friend had the same problem and never told me. Honestly I was a little pissed, hurt pride and embarrassed. It really pissed me off that I found out a year later (they now have tile throughout their house).

With my Chief II I usually run my big heater all the way hot. Am I running it too hot? My guys complain that they can hardly handle the hose. Recently I suffered a pretty bad burn on my ankle when I walked by an open hose that I was purging and a burst of steam came out. My shoe came off, my sock came off and I was hopping around the yard like and idiot. The result was hug blisters.

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
Yes get yardsticks! What temperature are you running at?

a5a3ysur.jpg

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Is this a pretty common problem?

Also, am I running my heat too high?

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Or just make your own. Take a 2 foot piece of rod, bend it at about a 30 degree angle about 3 inches from one end, weld a 3 inch piece next to it at the opposite angle, paint it yellow and you have a really cheap one.

Looks like this one could use a new coat of paint.

View attachment 5145

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Parflex is cooler because it's insulated, but can still leave a trail.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
It is a common problem....we always look to go around the grass if its at all possible. Even if there will be a need for another 50 footer...and no I don't have those yard sticks...

And yes- you are running too hot if its constantly burning you...I don't believe in too hot cleaning. If its hissing popping hot, there is not enough water flow to flush properly. There is no energy in the "water mass" if its just spewing steam.

I have to make sure my diesel burner is not turned up too high.

Reactions: J Scott W

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
One time I had a complaint about burned out grass...but it wasn't a hose line track...it was spots like dog urine damage..

So I explained that we couldn't have caused it and instead of arguing and giving back the money for the cleaning, I said with a smile: we didn't do it but want to help you out and make you feel better, here is a bag of grass seeds with mixed in fertilizer.

Cost me like 5-10 bucks...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
One time I had a complaint about burned out grass...but it wasn't a hose line track...it was spots like dog urine damage..
Do you run a slide in or PTO? A Butler will leave nice circular crop circles....from the exhaust if you're too close to the grass. :errf:

It will also burn and kill flowers that edge a driveway....don't ask how I know. :redface:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Do you run a slide in or PTO? A Butler will leave nice circular crop circles....from the exhaust if you're too close to the grass. :errf:

It will also burn and kill flowers that edge a driveway....don't ask how I know. :redface:

Slide in..exhausted thru side door. But I also know how the the PTO could burn underneath the vehicle...experienced it.

Also with a slide in blowing straight out the door, don't blow it on bushes. Like Doc, I do have the uncomfortable experience with it by putting a nice burned/dried up spot into a 7 feet tall bush fence. The burned up hole became 6foot in diameter and took almost a year to grow back.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The burned up hole became 6foot in diameter and took almost a year to grow back.
The only good thing is just like crop circles.....no one knows how it happened. :shifty: :winky:

I actually paid $250.00 to have a lawn re sod last year when one of the guys backed down a narrow drive in the winter.

Being honest can sure be expensive! :neutral:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
:eekk: Any time you cut across the grass you burned it.

It will come back if they water it or you get some rain. A week, or two and you'd never know.

I think it shocks it more than it kills it

Reactions: Jeremy N

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I run vac hoses over grass....if I have to. I try to stay on pavement, unless it's freash sealed blacktop. Get a little more hose out you lazy asses!!

Now on the other hand......I was at a job yesterday, an insurance job......that I extracted a month ago with the old Genesis. Right at the side of the drive way, there was a 1 1/2 foot by 2 1/2 foot area just off the drive that was dead. I know I didn't park that close to the edge, and I ran no power lines. All I can figure was it was a leak from the Kinetico brine tank (overflow) that burned and killed the grass from pure brine (salt) solution running off the truck and onto the grass.

Since it's an hour trip, the custys agreed to me sending her some good grass seed. Her Son will fix the spot.

Ron K

We never run over grass never I think it's kinda unprofessional. Plus you're putting your hoses over a sidewalk with no cones or warning signs. Ouch!

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Pic up some political signs off the side of the road

Getcha some wire cutters and pliers

Cut the political sign frame and make you some stakes : )

Redneck method

Reactions: Brian H

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Your lucky if grass is the only thing your solution hose is burning. Avoid steel braid hose at high temps over olefin carpet, you may wish you were over grass.

Reactions: John Olson

Brian H

Name
Brian H

I don't have to ask you, I know....:hopeless:

We use an exhaust hose used in automotive garages to divert the exhaust behind the van. We slide it over the end of the exhaust and use a lightweight chain and hang it from the bumper. We have been doing that for a few years now and the only issue is the hose becomes brittle over time. Oh and it's VERY hot when you are done with the job, another reason for the chain.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea I burn my own grass when I clean at home. Its shortest distance from the deck so I pull around back on the grass and burn a few spots.
The first time I did it my wife said "you killed the grass where you dumped your chemicals." I told her "the truck did it, I didn't dump anything."

I still don't think she believes me. I lie a LOT so its hard for her to tell when I'm really telling the truth.

She just assumes I'm always lying.......which I usually am. :biggrin: :lol:

Reactions: SamIam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom