Wood Varnish

Name
Swani
I got a call from one of our home builders that we work with. They got wood varnish from a piece of trim on the new carpet. Carpet is synthetic most likely poly.

I've never really had any luck with wood varnish, but I'm thinking Stain Magic and a blacklight is my best shot.

The said they have not applied anything to the spot.

Let me know what you think.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
I got a call from one of our home builders that we work with. They got wood varnish from a piece of trim on the new carpet. Carpet is synthetic most likely poly.

I've never really had any luck with wood varnish, but I'm thinking Stain Magic and a blacklight is my best shot.

The said they have not applied anything to the spot.

Let me know what you think.
If varnish is essentially plastic I would guess that a gelled or non volatile solvent that can dwell a while and slowly dissolve the stuff might be good. I don't know though, just chipping in for fun.

I started using solvents a bit more often recently and am really happy with how much they help remove seemingly impossible stuff.

Reactions: Living The Dream
Name
Swani
If varnish is essentially plastic I would guess that a gelled or non volatile solvent that can dwell a while and slowly dissolve the stuff might be good. I don't know though, just chipping in for fun.

I started using solvents a bit more often recently and am really happy with how much they help remove seemingly impossible stuff.
The Pro's Choice stain guide does recommend using Pro Solv Gel to remove the oil based contamination.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
only thing I've found to work 100% on wood stain

1716285198061.png

..L.T.A.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Go with All Solv Extreme or Prosolv Gel first.

Isopropyl Alcohol used to be my first step, but it will tend to let the stain penetrate too deeply, where the above mentioned gels keep the material suspended in the gel.

After that, get some 3M Safest Stripper (paint stripper). Try that, then extract. It has worked very well for me in the past.

If anything is left after that, then go Stain Magic or Stain Zone or whatever oxidizing stain remover you have and the UV Light.

Name
Swani
Go with All Solv Extreme or Prosolv Gel first.

Isopropyl Alcohol used to be my first step, but it will tend to let the stain penetrate too deeply, where the above mentioned gels keep the material suspended in the gel.

After that, get some 3M Safest Stripper (paint stripper). Try that, then extract. It has worked very well for me in the past.

If anything is left after that, then go Stain Magic or Stain Zone or whatever oxidizing stain remover you have and the UV Light.
Thank you, Jim!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom