Whole House Pricing

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Who is doing it and why?

Who isn't doing it and why?

Who is thinking of doing it and why?

Who is thinking of not doing it anymore and why?

Inquiring minds want to know.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I am doing it in my nashville market, I have been testing it. It seems to work really well. Did 3 houses on Friday and the tech came back with $975 bucks with protector sales. Big mike helped me a lot he allowed me to use one of his pics for my ad. I can post it here maybe

Sent from my g2 using tapatalk. Whofat

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
here are some of mine. oldest to newest ad. all are magazine style high gloss. I am still testing it but after seeing how good big mike is doing I am hoping for the best

nashproof.jpg

nashnew.jpg

newestnash.jpg

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Good point...With a whole house pricing....the owners maybe be more inclined to get the protectant.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I'm thinking more and more are considering it.

The best thing is to get a separate identity and do both. Why not?

It can be done fairly cheap.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I've been doing Whole House Specials for 3 years. It does include most everything except red spots and Extreme Urine Stains. I also limit to 7 areas.
I think for small one horse companies it is definitely a win win. As a o/o I found myself wasting time going out for estimates, so I took the average 2 jobs that we had done for the previous year and developed 2 package deals. I really like it when the phone rings, I swear it sounds like cha-Ching everytime!!!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
how much time do you allot for a whole house, 2 story?

what limits do you put on furniture? ie a sofa sectional can have 2 to 5 pieces, and be from 11- 16 ft long, some with all kinds of throw/loose cushions, not to even mention the variety of fabrics out there.

If I did that I would avoid the goofs like the one I ran into today. I would have cleaned his place for, using your prices, well, what would you have charged? One floor and a stair case, no carpet on the main floor except for the area rug. But lets say $150 + $119= $269

How long will you work for $270??? 1hr? 1.5hrs? 2hrs? 3hrs? 4hrs?

Keep in mind, at those prices, you're going to get the people that REALLY need their carpets cleaned and you have to do it within your time frame.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
joeynbgky said:
Brian im surprised no one wants to debate this

Nothing to debate really, not a bad idea how you set up your coupon.
Really depends on size of houses and type of materials in the area you targeting.

Homes in suburbs may be big but nowadays who has 3,000 sqr ft of carpet? Even here in snowy buffalo living room/bedrooms is all people have anymore.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The whole house price problem is generally when someone only has "a few rooms" of carpet etc.

Problem with room pricing is it can add up quick....then do you lower the price?

AND when people have to think....They might move one...Even with simple math like $30.00 per room.

Then they might think a hall, baths, closest are charged as rooms etc.

dday

Ron Werner said:
how much time do you allot for a whole house, 2 story?...

How long will you work for $270??? 1hr? 1.5hrs? 2hrs? 3hrs? 4hrs?

Keep in mind, at those prices, you're going to get the people that REALLY need their carpets cleaned and you have to do it within your time frame.

I've made no secret that my business suffered greatly during the recession. This was largely my fault - clinging to square foot pricing, refusing to price over the phone, insisting upon separate in-home quotes, etc. My market changed. Folks still wanted clean carpet, but many, if not most in m area, were no longer willing to pay 35-50 cents/square to watch me spend three hours vacuuming the traffic lane in front of their sofa. I ignored the fact that my closing rate had fallen sharply from near 100% to a level far below that level. In short, I blame my ego and the blindness to reality that it caused in me.

I am beginning to rebuild my business, and the whole house pricing structure is the basis of my business plan.

I've been working on this for over a year now (you can go back and see some of my posts in the Big Mike thread). Big Mike has been a tremendously helpful resource for me. Ron gets credit for this comment: "why not a $300 whole house special?" he asked, and I said to myself, "Why not?"

I can clean my customer's typical 1800-3000 sq ft 4 bedroom home with one set of stairs in 2-5 hours, with my average time being 3 hours. I include everything except Scotchgard - deo, pre-spray, pre-scrub, HWE, including but not limited to spotting/stain removal of filtration soil, spot claw urine treatments, red stains, gum, rust, paint, oil, grease, & wax. I have no square foot limits, though I do include only one standard staircase - that is my only "fine print," and it is not really fine print at all, as I advertise, literally, "One to Two Story Whole House Special: Every Room, Every Hall, Every Closet in Your Home, Even Your Standard-sized Staircase of Up to 13 Steps, All for One Flat, All-inclusive Price!" Implicit in this wording is the fact that stairs larger than standard and in excess of thirteen steps will incur an additional charge. Also implicit is that a third floor of carpet cleaning - whether a third story, a finished attic space, or a finished basement, will also incur additional charges.

While I am not there yet, my goal is two whole houses per day - a morning and an afternoon appointment, five days/week, 48 weeks/year. Any small orders, e.g. a two room and hall only, are scheduled at the end of any given day only. Again, I try very hard to convert any call requesting a small order into a whole house appointment. Thus far, it seems to be working for me.

Thank you to Big Mike, and to Ron Werner as well!

dday

Brian R said:
The whole house price problem is generally when someone only has "a few rooms" of carpet etc.

Problem with room pricing is it can add up quick....then do you lower the price?

No problem at all, Brian. I still do small orders, but those orders must accept a late afternoon appointment. Morning and early afternoon are prime whole house cleaning hours.

I room price, and once someone gets to the point where the room price for their order exceeds the whole house price, I tell them, "Great News! The regular price for your cleaning would be $315, but as that exceeds my whole house special price of $289, I am capping your order st $289! Isn't that wonderful? I know! What other areas would you like to have cleaned while I am there? No, no extra charge at all, mam, you're in whole house territory now! Great! Would you like to add Scitchgard protector to your carpets for spot and stain protection?" Good choice! By the way, what upholstery would you like to have cleaned while I am there? Since I am already going to be set up to clean your carpet, you can have your sofa and loveseat cleaned and protected for $148, and have your chair cleaned and protected for Free! That's a savings of $51 off of my regular sofa, loveseat, chair special of $199. Great!"

My new approach to life and business, Brian, is that there are no problems, only untapped opportunities. I wish I had felt this way four years ago.

Free estimates: you can charge as much or as little as u like. People see specials and coupons all the time. It's a no brainer. Just ask Ron l.

dday

joeynbgky said:
here are some of mine. oldest to newest ad. all are magazine style high gloss. I am still testing it but after seeing how good big mike is doing I am hoping for the best

Joey - Your add says "call for details." What are the "details"? Are the details restrictions that apply to the offer? If not, why not "Call to schedule your cleaning"?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I have a "Full House" Discount.

7 or more areas for $40.00 each + free cleaning of colsets and bathrooms.
We just did a 11 area house for $440.00.

Marc Imbesi

I use a tiered system...3 room minimum....rooms 4,5,6 and 7 are less....all rooms 8 and over save even more. I think this covers all bases and is fair to both parties involved in the transaction....

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Marc Imbesi said:
I use a tiered system...3 room minimum....rooms 4,5,6 and 7 are less....all rooms 8 and over save even more. I think this covers all bases and is fair to both parties involved in the transaction....

So what are the tiers?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I just changed mine put 800 sq on one story and 1100 on two story limits ill see how that goes

Sent from my Comet using Tapatalk

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
dday said:
I've made no secret that my business suffered greatly during the recession. This was largely my fault - clinging to square foot pricing, refusing to price over the phone, insisting upon separate in-home quotes, etc. My market changed. Folks still wanted clean carpet, but many, if not most in m area, were no longer willing to pay 35-50 cents/square to watch me spend three hours vacuuming the traffic lane in front of their sofa. I ignored the fact that my closing rate had fallen sharply from near 100% to a level far below that level. In short, I blame my ego and the blindness to reality that it caused in me.
Well said. I respect anyone that realizes the old stuff isn't working and will try new things...

"Let’s face it head on. Thanks to the recent “Great Recession” Americans have become more frugal and “value conscious” than ever before. Sales of supposedly “recession proof” high end luxury goods and services have plummeted. You may be thinking, “Who cares? I’m selling carpet cleaning? You don’t get much more ‘anti-luxury’ than carpet cleaning!”

Well … yes and no. First of all, even with the upper-class market, your customer views the cleaning of their carpet as “optional”. When your client has less money (or even worse “feels poor” thanks to countless media stories on the recession!) then they cut back on their “discretionary spending” and yep- carpet cleaning will be one of the first things to go!

For many years many carpet cleaners have targeted the high end, “prestige” carpet cleaning market and turned their noses up at the mass market, price oriented “price by the room” sector. (I too focused on the “snob market” and why not? Bigger homes with more carpet, more frequent cleanings, more money per square foot and a bigger job ticket! This approach worked great for me for twenty years!) But that was then and now is now!

Simply put, “value” is now in and has even become “chic”. Bragging about or conspicuously showing off your extravagances has become a bit tacky and in poor taste. Instead, it is now fashionable to “shop for the good deal” and look for “value”- even among high net worth/high income customers.

So what does this new “chic frugality” mean for you and your carefully cultivated flock of high end, big spending carpet cleaning clients? Right now… maybe not much. My guess is you will keep most of your long time loyal clients through this period of “economic abstinence.” However, don’t get complacent..."

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I shamelessly cut and pasted the above from a new report I've done up called "Winning Over the 'Value Shopper' (without losing your shirt)" People tell me it is pretty good. If anyone wants to read it for free they can access it here:

http://sfs.jondon.com/8478/resources/sp ... ue-shopper

Or if you are allergic to downloading stuff just email me with "Value Shopper" in the subject line and I'll send it to you free.

PTMatt

Name
Matt Martinez
Hey Joey,

Your ad states all stain removal is included in your whole house prices. So that includes red stains, urine stains, ink stains, etc? If so that seems like it could lead to alot of work for $135. I did a house yesterday that I spent 2 hrs alone just removing colored stains.

Is that wall to wall or actual carpet that is cleaned?
joeynbgky said:
I just changed mine put 800 sq on one story and 1100 on two story limits ill see how that goes

Sent from my Comet using Tapatalk

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
No furniture gets moved ecxept coffee tables and sofas from side to side. If they want it moved they must do it. We move no furniture. Not even for my moama!

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Joey.

With your ad saying everything is included. Spots & Stains, Deoderizer,Petstains.... The works!!

How do you then charge for and brag about selling protector?

Looks like false advertizing to me and I bet your clients also.

I Know Big Mike doesn't charge for protector.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I copied big mikes add with permission. Thats why I have a protector coupon I tell them on the phone the only thing that is extra is protector if they want it. Make sense? Big mike charges for it aswell

joeynbgky said:
I copied big mikes add with permission. Thats why I have a protector coupon I tell them on the phone the only thing that is extra is protector if they want it. Make sense? Big mike charges for it aswell

You realize you are doing a staircase if there is one and the entire upstairs for a whopping 54 dollars more than your single story price.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Houses vary from city to city, county to county, state to state. The majority of houses I clean are in the 2000-4000 sq ft size and most have a majority of hardwood and tile & grout flooring so you would have a harder time just blanketing your pricing, can be too many variables in the sizing. I just do area pricing and ask questions of the customer on the phone as best I can. They always seem to forget hallways and large walkin closets. If you have standard size subdivision houses this whole house pricing would work great.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Jay D said:
Houses vary from city to city, county to county, state to state. The majority of houses I clean are in the 2000-4000 sq ft size and most have a majority of hardwood and tile & grout flooring so you would have a harder time just blanketing your pricing, can be too many variables in the sizing. I just do area pricing and ask questions of the customer on the phone as best I can. They always seem to forget hallways and large walkin closets. If you have standard size subdivision houses this whole house pricing would work great.

Yes, that's the problem I run into here as well Jay.

I've pretty much gone to "approximate" area pricing.

I always tell them it could be more or less depending on the size of the room.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom