When Will Print Finally Be Dead?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I wish print would just go the way of clogs :p and disappear forever.

For us smaller operators it is just absurdly expensive. To reach current customers we are looking at anywhere from .35 cents up to $1.35 per piece depending on who/what you send.

Email is only a couple pennies and a phone call is basically free except your time. I am skeptical the numbers are that much better with print using a current customer database. But way more expensive...

Pretty sure we are done with print for current customers, maybe 1x year or something special.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Shane are you talking about direct mail pieces or any printed piece in general?

I agree with your numbers, in low qty (most items we purchase are in the 1000 qty) some of our brochures are around .35-.60 could easily drop to that in half if I purchased 2500 but I'd have a lifetime supply of items that would soon become out dated. :neutral:

Flyers are a lot cheaper but yes your numbers for a piece destine for the trash can add up. I know Erin and our past marketers always want something to hand out. It gives them some comfort level, I guess??

I know nearly everyone that stops by here marketing us, leaves business card and a flyer or brochure with some promotional item.

Chris A

Name
Chris
postcards still work really well for us residentially, we mail to current clients 6x a year so I definitely hear you on the expense part.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Probably not in the the next 20 years. When I read the title I assumed you were talking newspaper. The problem with wishing print would die is that it is the only effective way to reach prospects in the non online world, unless you can afford radio/tv/cable etc.

Clients imo should all be done electronically or by phone now, unless they refuse to give you their email (1 in a 100)

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
With the likes of 'GotPrint', prices actually got to the ridiculously low level for the cost of printing. The cost of mailing is high.

I actually like some printed material, like business cards, magnets, labels on the free spotter etc., as it is something tangible that you leave with the client. I feel that it definitely enhances all the other electronic stuff we do.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
For current customers we are definitely all done.

Still love print for selling, not comfortable giving a presentation with a tablet or whatever.

Really want to dump mailers {direct mail} for new customers also but think its too soon. I am going to try an all electronic targeted campaign tho and track the results, my belief is the volume will be low but returns good. Just want to see what the results are.

Newspapers? my friend advertises in newspaper here a lot and says old customers call or are reminded to call. Its pretty cheap too but his name is well known franchise and been around for 20 years.
Not sure if an unknown niche like us would make it.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
For current customers we are definitely all done.

If the custys have their email filters(spam) set to medium or above, wont the email get sent to junk or deleted?

Other than xmas cards, I'd like to email my entire contacts list, maybe 2/3 time a year. At least try emailing, just to clean up my contacts list.

Anyone have a good enough reason? Other than a discount?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Print will be dead when your tablet reader is a flexy piece of plastic cheap enough to lose and not worry about.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Yeah i still read the newspaper everyday... Only takes about 10 minutes though.

Only a couple magazines because they have in-depth reporting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom