What's your challenge?

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
As brief as possible, what are the top three biggest challenges you face today in your carpet cleaning business?

Me?

1. growth, should I or shouldn't I
  2. keeping up with demand
  3. replacing the "fleet'..

Exactly the same on all three...and lately, do we stay in restoration?! It has been a real problem in our area due to a restoration contractor causing a lot of problems (they did get shut down, but is still involved with a new owner). We have been so busy with just carpet cleaning, we can't get to them. Also having a problem collecting money due us even back from October - January in the restoration division. Just had a water damage come in again last night as we got home at 8 pm. Had to turn it down as we have been overbooked just in the carpet cleaning. Even if we were to hire more employees, I would have them sitting around a lot while waiting. It has become very difficult to be profitable in this market locally. Too many restoration companies and National Chain restoration companies popping up in a town of 8000 people! They are all fighting for the restoration, and not focusing on the carpet cleaning, so I am taking advantage of them leaving all that food on the plate. It's just a cross roads for us (AGAIN). Once it get's to January, things get slow in carpet cleaning for about 3 months. This is when we can take on the restoration, but again, if we are not getting paid for them in a timely fashion, why take them on?!

I am paid ahead on everything and trying to be debt free in 4 years....

This year, I am going to spend sometime in warmer climates during January. Probably going to got meet Dave Gill and go fishing!

Me the wife and the 2 puppies are trying to plan walks on the beach and not be shoveling snow!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Good for you, Mark. I gotta say that on a very interesting thread yours is the first post (unless I missed one) that focuses on more than just "business". At the end of the day the purpose of any entrepreneurial business is to make the life of the owner(s) better. It is easy to forget this in the daily crush of business.

Steve

PS Nice thread here, Mikey. (I always wonder where this stuff bubbles up from within you- uhhhh, upon reflection maybe I'd really rather not know!) :)

Big Billy and I have been following the thoughts on this thread as "market research". It is always valuable for us to discover where the collective pain is "down in the trenches". Then we TRY and fix it.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm surprised, because you guys know the business, have done it forever and are setup for it.

BUT it's a mean business, it can take your life away, it's relentless, no breaks at times, emergency work waits for no one. It just keeps coming.... evenings, weekends and holidays! I can see where it can burn you out.

Although I wouldn't make any rash moves, you can always tell the caller your crews are out until you sit down and decide if this is the direction you're sure you want to go. While you will regain a normal life, can you afford the loss of sales? Maybe a good break is all you need?

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mikey P

Administrator
Ok Steve wants us to take it personal..

1.should I install a solar system on a house I dont see myself in in 20 years

2.with 14 days on Kauai and 3 days in the Sierras and 5 in Vegas coming up should I hit up a tanning booth?

3.should I take my single speed out on the rookie mtb ride I'm leading this weekend?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
1. Should I bite the bullet and buy an Exmark Lazer 60-inch commercial mower, liquid cooled 27-hp Kubota? or buy a low hour used 54-inch Grazer than a friend is trying to sell me. Only it's air cooled and may only fill the gap for a few years. : (

2. Rav4 or Honda CRV or Mazda Tribute for a twin that needs a car. Pay more for lower miles or pay less and keep her payments low, once school starts next month.

3. Fix the rear hatch on the wife's 02 Sequoia or start looking for her a new car too? It's long paid off but she is getting up there in miles (car not the wife). She doesn't like the new model Sequoia so it will be a hassle finding a new car she likes. But that is our primary car so I'm think it might be time. ???

:p

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Ok Steve wants us to take it personal..

2.with 14 days on Kauai and 3 days in the Sierras and 5 in Vegas coming up should I hit up a tanning booth?
The sun is not your friend unless you enjoy melanoma. (And this from someone with 20 years in the tropics under his belt.)

Steve

PS And tanning booths are the devil.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
1. Justifying to the GM of Pro Carpet why I raised the pay to the customer service reps 35%
2. Deciding if a fluctuating work week contract should be put in place for DONE Restoration
3. Whether or not to accept the offer that was made to purchase our Tampa location

Reactions: Art Kelley

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
My goals advertise more, condense my area and get pricing directly to web instead of talking to customers.. push restretches to realtors

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Good for you, Mark. I gotta say that on a very interesting thread yours is the first post (unless I missed one) that focuses on more than just "business". At the end of the day the purpose of any entrepreneurial business is to make the life of the owner(s) better. It is easy to forget this in the daily crush of business.

Steve

PS Nice thread here, Mikey. (I always wonder where this stuff bubbles up from within you- uhhhh, upon reflection maybe I'd really rather not know!) :)

Big Billy and I have been following the thoughts on this thread as "market research". It is always valuable for us to discover where the collective pain is "down in the trenches". Then we TRY and fix it.

Appreciate the help...and tell Billy I am taking calls! He will understand (and yes the phone is ringing a lot so me and my wife are taking calls)
:)

Mark Saiger

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
1) My single biggest mistake so far is my lack of organization. Incomplete customer information in the computer and very little marketing efforts to residential customers. 2) I am undecided on how I should grow. I have no doubt that I could go from a 2 truck company to a 4 truck company but I am a bit scared and a bit confussed as to the best way to manage the infrastructure of the business and administrstive side when we have a larger staff and over head. I feel like nothing more than a an owner op who has his friends run a second truck for him and I really need to tighten up the financials and get into the polished and professional style mindset. I really feel like I need to do this because I owe it to my self for this business to be worth more on paper than the value of my vehicles and equipment.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom