What is the next step YOU need to make to grow your company?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Shane has been lurking over on ***

Its not lurking when you can't login....

Special K talked about all the money he made at trailer parks for last couple years, speaking of which what happened to that guy?

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Tom King. Best post I read in a while. Thank you.

Thing is, I like to do the work. (We do stone restoration mostly, only 1% carpet)

So I balance between growing/ managing and production

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Ps Bigger is always better if you are a leader! Other wise there is nothing to do with your skills and gifts.
Bullshit. Bigger is just bigger. Where the rubber meets the road, inside the customer's home, the job done is what matters. A large company can do many jobs per day but that means nothing to the customer you are serving. A highly skilled O/O with the unique skills and gifts to produce the spectacular results we can now produce with the available technology is far more desired by the consumer than the mediocre job large companies do . There is a trade-off you make when you decide to let others do work you are responsible for but don't control.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Bullshit. Bigger is just bigger. Where the rubber meets the road, inside the customer's home, the job done is what matters. A large company can do many jobs per day but that means nothing to the customer you are serving. A highly skilled O/O with the unique skills and gifts to produce the spectacular results we can now produce with the available technology is far more desired by the consumer than the mediocre job large companies do . There is a trade-off you make when you decide to let others do work you are responsible for but don't control.

You can still have quality control with a multi crew company. What we did was we had sales and cleaning training every morning before the guys headed out, They left self addressed comment cards at the jobs. My office girl made and after cleaning calls to the jobs to check satisfaction client levels and I also would make surprise visits to the jobs. Bigger can be problematic if the controls are not in place.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Art
I think you miss the point. Getting bigger is about the owner/ leader growing because they enjoy the challenge. I would argue that those that decide to stay small on purpose can't lead or just don't enjoy leading. That's OK.

Its ok to stay a one truck just don't assume because a guy has leadership, marketing and management skills he is choosing to give an inferior quality product.

What they are doing is bringing a product to market that consumers are choosing to buy.

You act like the only way a client can get the best cleaning possible is from a single truck O/O that is just not true.

What I am saying is if you are a leader bigger is better because you are in your sweet spot for your leadership skills.

Ron K

So, what you are saying Tom and I agree is, any Leader can run a Large company but only an O/O like Mikey can run an O/O operation!

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
I worked for a company before starting my business and we were bumping 2.5 mill with 6-7 trucks. Remember, when you get that big, those jobs that take you 3 days can be done in 1/2 a day and those 30K sf night jobs? Not a problem.

All in a population of maybe 250K

Ron K

I worked for a company before starting my business and we were bumping 2.5 mill with 6-7 trucks. Remember, when you get that big, those jobs that take you 3 days can be done in 1/2 a day and those 30K sf night jobs? Not a problem.

All in a population of maybe 250K

Where was that? SO every truck was at 400K a year..wow that is great you must be making big coin now!

hogjowl

Idiot™
My FIRST step to growing would have to be finding and implementing an effective marketing program. I can buy the equipment later. I've never done hardly any advertising and have done quite well over the years, but my sperm cell product is now working for me and I guess I could do more to help pay him a living wage. I've have one of my customers who has FOR YEARS been trying to get me to join his BNI (or whatever) group. I have always turned him down. Maybe I should think about that for a bit? I dunno ...

I have always looked for the magic marketing bullet, but have come to the conclusion that there is none. Maybe the only thing to do is to waste money trying different things.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
There is no magic marketing bullet. Not only that what works for some doesn't necessarily mean it will work in your market either.

But you have to try different things to see what does work. DON"T waste money!

If what ever they are selling works so good ask for trial periods, 3 months 6-months if you don't see the results you like get on them. If they can't deliver on what they promised bail and move on to something else. If it does work then consistent with it, don't slow down marketing just because you are busy and feel it's not needed. In fact maybe dump a little more in during those times!

Reactions: BLewis and TomKing

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
All the basics work in every market marty- targeted mail, adwords, networking, website, cold calling commercial, coupon mailers, etc, etc.
Which ones are right for you, no clue ...

I might not be very good with content but am a persistent little basterd after setting a target.

Reactions: TomKing and hogjowl

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I wouldn't put mike in that category. He is a leader look at what has happen with this board and his national influence. He runs multi truck and is moving off the truck. I think the question will be how big can Mikey's Board become. Mike is a Brand in and of himself. That is a scary thought. I personally would like to see his efforts go towards making this cleaner driven movement develop to a greater extent.

Back when I was a young youth pastor and running huge groups and sponsoring summer camps and major events I used to think poorly of the YP's that showed up with the same 15 passenger van and the same 12 kids to every event. As I grew older I came to realize that was OK because that was where that guy felt comfortable or he did not have the skills or abilities to grow and lead a larger group.

I think that's the same in our industry some guys are choosing to stay small for a mired of reasons and some simply do not have the ability to move forward in developing their company. The size of your company does not define you as an individual nor is it a reflection of your personal character. The size of your company is representation of your dream and drive to develop as a leader.

Leadership is about sacrifice, it is about less freedom not more, it is about sacrifice. The larger a company gets the less freedom its leaders have. Not because of problems or headaches as some love to share. It is because you have responsibilities to your team to develop personally and to help them develop.

Many who choose to stay small do so because the sacrifices of leadership and the challenges of growing a dynamic company no longer bring life to their day to day existence. It is important that we get up every day and look forward to what we are going to be engaging in. O/O or leader of a multi truck it depends on what drives you to personal fulfillment.

So, what you are saying Tom and I agree is, any Leader can run a Large company but only an O/O like Mikey can run an O/O operation!

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
All the basics work in every market marty- targeted mail, adwords, networking, website, cold calling commercial, coupon mailers, etc, etc.
Which ones are right for you, no clue ...

I might not be very good with content but am a persistent little basterd after setting a target.

I agree Shane you are spot on. There are a handful of things you must do all at the same time to be successful and they work in any city or any economy!

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
My FIRST step to growing would have to be finding and implementing an effective marketing program. I can buy the equipment later. I've never done hardly any advertising and have done quite well over the years, but my sperm cell product is now working for me and I guess I could do more to help pay him a living wage. I've have one of my customers who has FOR YEARS been trying to get me to join his BNI (or whatever) group. I have always turned him down. Maybe I should think about that for a bit? I dunno ...

I have always looked for the magic marketing bullet, but have come to the conclusion that there is none. Maybe the only thing to do is to waste money trying different things.

Now your talking Marty. Keep going in that direction!

Mikey P

Administrator
thanks Tom

you're the best I ever had...

Picture-72.png

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Well Said! I am currently working about 80-90 hours a week trying to handle my work load ( Between Pro and DONE) . The restoration company (DONE) I partnered up with a buddy to create is growing into a monster that needs more infrastructure that I had inticipated. We currently have 14 employees ( NOT contractors) and will be adding 3 more over the next 3 months. I have a responsibility to the people that work for us. I go to bed each night with an Ipad in hand and write down the laundry list of things we need to implement. We are 5 months old and if I screw up ALL of those people are out of a job. No pressure! lol Either way i wouldn't change it for the world. Some people are built for being a 1 man band. Some aren't. I fall into the latter of he two, My grandfather told me at age 12 (weeks before he passed) that if you tailor your lifestyle and your job around your personality you will prosper and life a much happier life.

I wouldn't put mike in that category. He is a leader look at what has happen with this board and his national influence. He runs multi truck and is moving off the truck. I think the question will be how big can Mikey's Board become. Mike is a Brand in and of himself. That is a scary thought. I personally would like to see his efforts go towards making this cleaner driven movement develop to a greater extent.

Back when I was a young youth pastor and running huge groups and sponsoring summer camps and major events I used to think poorly of the YP's that showed up with the same 15 passenger van and the same 12 kids to every event. As I grew older I came to realize that was OK because that was where that guy felt comfortable or he did not have the skills or abilities to grow and lead a larger group.

I think that's the same in our industry some guys are choosing to stay small for a mired of reasons and some simply do not have the ability to move forward in developing their company. The size of your company does not define you as an individual nor is it a reflection of your personal character. The size of your company is representation of your dream and drive to develop as a leader.

Leadership is about sacrifice, it is about less freedom not more, it is about sacrifice. The larger a company gets the less freedom its leaders have. Not because of problems or headaches as some love to share. It is because you have responsibilities to your team to develop personally and to help them develop.

Many who choose to stay small do so because the sacrifices of leadership and the challenges of growing a dynamic company no longer bring life to their day to day existence. It is important that we get up every day and look forward to what we are going to be engaging in. O/O or leader of a multi truck it depends on what drives you to personal fulfillment.

Reactions: Mikey P

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Good valuable discussion and people are making some very good points.

Tom, bigger is not better for 'getting bigger's' sake. As such. it will be an uncontrollable beast.
Bigger is better, considering your own "leadership" definition only if you can maintain control of your core values and goals. And even than it has its limits before it may grow into a 'hungry ghost'.

And yes, no doubt some people have better abilities and skills to manage other people and larger organizations. Not all of us were blessed with that skill and ability. The term 'leadership' though used so frequently (and lovingly by some) should also be looked at with its twin brother- ego.
Egos as well as business skills should be looked at, self analyzed and if possible kept in check.

That's true for 'leaders' as well as O/O 'separatists' who don't want to, not capable of, or choose not to become managers of others and or creating large organizations.

Last edited:

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
To get my multiple personalities in the same room and the same time so they can finally make a decision of future issues.

I'm a little stuck...
Do we sell the Vortex or chop 4 feet off the rear so we can use it in San Francisco? Will I go to Hell if I mutilate an AeroTech Vortex in this manner? I fear it is so..
Do we replace the 2006 and 2008 sprinters with new sprinters now because I can afford to and the State requires replacement in about 8 years- or just pocket the money?
Do we upgrade to a bigger rug plant that we own or keep size small and still rent?

I've fallen in a sea of complacency and I cant get up--yet... Life is Just Too Good right now to take risks--
But I know IF I remain complacent-- My Cheese might get Moved -- Read the book: "Who Moved My Cheese?" to learn More.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
just 1 step left: double the amount of clients we have now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom