What happened?

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
Guys from May up until this week my phones have been ringing off the hook and I have been booking many jobs.
Then starting last Friday the phones have just died. Is this because of back to school? Or Labor day weekend? Its my second summer in business what do you guys think?

G

TWO WORDS...school clothes.....!

And in MY case..they are timing it so they clean in Sept then again betweenThanksgiving and Christmas....

hogjowl

Idiot™
It happens to me every year in late August and on through September. I start getting busy again in October, and stay busy though January, and sometimes February.

I imagine there are some cleaners who post here who have slow times that differ from those that you have. There is probably no general rule. In my opinion, it really doesn't matter why I am slow. There is nothing I can do about it as long as I am doing consistent marketing and contacting my past customers. (If you aren't, then get started.)

My advice is to just do what you know you are supposed to be doing and when the slow times come just hang on ... they always end.

Ignore the temptation to rush out and do some kind of spur of the moment marketing when these times hit you because advertising started during slow times usually fails to bring in any business. This doesn't mean you shouldn't be marketing during slow times. It just means that you shouldn't START marketing during slow times ... unless you plan on keeping it up ALL THE TIME.

If there is one single mistake that I made during my first ... say ... 15 years of doing business ... it would be not doing consistent advertising. My belief is that even bad advertising, over a long period of time, will generate some brand awareness within your market. I still have people calling my home, asking for me by name, because they can't remember the name of my business. That pretty much tells me that the quality of my WORK is reaping benefits, but the quality of my ADVERTISING is off, and needs improvement.

M

Mark Imbesi

I agree with Marty on marketing consistently. I would like to take it a step further and say you should increase your advertising during your busy season. This way the work gained from it should over flow into the slow months.

Another important thing to mention is you should be budgeting all year long for your paycheck during these slow times. Don't live by feast or famine.

Good Luck.

PS - Just because I agree with Marty on this and my name also begins with M-A-R, that's where the similarities end!

TimP

I've said this before. First 2 weeks in august were great. After that I've had about 500 in cleaning to do which is horrible. I really hope september is better. Fortunately I'm only 1 grand from meeting my break even goal. I had 3 calls wednesday. Nothing too great from them but it's a start. Hopefully September is better.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
we have been flying until school let out then we slowed some .........
(typical)

Now..

the phone has been ringing so much that we are probably going to cut our Vegas vacation short buy a few days so I don't get to far behind........

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Jtuseo said:
Guys from May up until this week my phones have been ringing off the hook and I have been booking many jobs.
Then starting last Friday the phones have just died. Is this because of back to school? Or Labor day weekend? Its my second summer in business what do you guys think?

I am at my busiest right now. We are booked a week+ in advance, and most of those days have overflow jobs shoved in there in evenings or early AM jobs. Reluctantly, I will be running the truck on Saturday, to insure my crewleader has the weekend off. Tomorrow, we added on 3 extra jobs, empty apartments, etc.

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
Bruce that doesnt answear the question. I have been doing on average 23 jobs per week, I have jobs for next week as well. The question is Why would the phones have died off for me this time of year? Labor day? Back to School?

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
we have slowed down a good bit as well. we actually made it out to the beach a few days this week.
we are usually 3 weeks out but are down to 2 weeks out. it is a struggle to take off sat, sun and monday but i am determined to not work at all..
it will be out of control in another 3 weeks or so and i will be bitching about that instead of being slow.
hang in there....things will pick up soon.
oh and to actually answer your question...it is school, cloths, books, supplies crazy schedules to get used to and what not...people just cant deal with too many things at one time..
dave

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom