Wet vac to collect slurry?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I've been using a crap grade "commercial" Shop Vac. It makes VCT even more challenging. I usually work alone.

What should I look for in a new one?

Metal or plastic?

Built in squeegee on the front?

Dual motor?

Clean Freak or PowrFlite (or other)?

Links?

Thanks!

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Stick with the rigid home depot vacs. Spending more wont really last much longer. We use the shop vacs as throwaways when stripping
Do those have the tall handle to help push it around in a building?

Built in squeegee?

Thanks!

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
For small VCT this is the one we use now http://www.usviper.com/assets/fulllit/25.pdf

LOL, those hd ones last about 10 jobs.
The proteam one is probably best but $$ too.

ImageHandler.ashx?im=SN18WD.jpg

Reactions: Russ T.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
No it only vacs.

For a good slurry getter I would highly recommend the best pick up only machine would be a noble/tennant typhoon.

Very limited almost no moving parts except wheels and a the squeegee engage mechanism and a vac motor.

Very well thought out unit that doesn't weigh anything at all, in fact the first time you handle the unit you might think you just bought a toy, but in fact is very well built and very tough little unit that makes quick work of picking up slurry.

Here is a link to jondon site for reference

http://www.jondon.com/nobles-typhoon-series-wet-dry-vacuums.html

I recommend getting the optional squeegee mount as it will be used most of the time and a hose with a lightweight slurry better wand. I will say we don't carry a hose and a wand anymore as we will just use a squeegee to move the slurry Into a position to recover with the mounted squeegee on the wetvac.

This is by far the best unit you can buy especially if working alone as you body will not hurt as much.

You need to buy some defoamer and pour a glug in each time after you dump the slurry out and you will be recovering slurry a lot longer without foaming up.

SIDE NOTE!!!! Upon last section or area wetvaced do not dump slurry until you have a few minutes to properly clean recovery basin. You can finish cleaning floor, set fans up and then spend a few minutes properly dumping and rinsing the tank. If you dump and don't clean out the tank well, a lot of the slurry will resolidify to the sides and bottom of tank and require work to clean it out later.

So only dump if you are ready to clean it out at the same time, the stripper in the slurry will not allow it to solidify completely and plus you have a lot of time between coats anyhow to clean you equipment!!!

Make sure you remove the squeegee assembly and rinse off if any visible slurry has resolidified use some of the left over stripper to clean squeegee, rinsing properly with water, to ensure it is ready for the next job.

Do not leave squeegee attached to unit other than using the machine as it will shorten the life of the squeegee.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Shane does that rinse too?
No just wet vac.

We have one of those nobles too but the squeegee mount was not very durable.
We can be a little rough sometimes on equipment :oldrolleyes:

Worked good and would be fine i'm sure. The viper is sturdier but heavier also.

The back has that deep pocket to keep stuff, rags,razors, etc too.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
We have had multiple of both units and for us the nobles/tenants have far outlasted the viper counterparts. The vipers are also 50% heavier so it just kills a guy when they work by themselves.

Nobles is something like 40 something pounds and the viper is like 60 something pounds and this make a difference after stripping and waxing a floors all day.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Speaking of deep pockets... That Jon Don vac with the squeegee would be north of 1K.

The Kid doesn't have pockets that deep.

Reactions: Jimmy L

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
As you know by now just call me and I will point you in the right direction.

Jondon is a sponsor of the board so it is only right if they are selling what we are talking about I will post their link before posting a link of a nonsponsering company.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Thanks Michael, really do appreciate it.

Today's my monkey Max's 5th birthday so headed to lunch but I'll give a call soon.

LOTS of VCT coming up and I need to get better and more efficient.

I wish there was a class around here for me to take but this board is like school to me.

Sounds like a tank for my 175 might be in order too...

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Find a used nilfisk advance matador 20 inch machine with water tank above motor and be done with it.

While adding a tank to your 175 y attaching it to the shaft is good, it also adds weight onto the control surface of the machine and now you will have to counter that weight the whole time until the tank runs dry.

By getting a machine that the water is centered over the pad adds no "work" or extra strain to normal operation while providing a bit more weight for optimal floor scrubbing capability and overall effectiveness.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
2fe3e726d7e1e312dbd03857d66f83d4.jpg

While both machines posted above are basically the same spec wise( gallons the hold In tank, hp, revs, size of pad) the operation of the one that has the tank centered over the pad will be much easier to use equating to much less fatigue at the end of stripping process when I need them to be aware and paying attention to detail as they start applying the finish.

Braden bell

Name
Braden bell
If you don't have a ton of money get the stainless powerflite. If had mind for nearly ten years. Put a new motor in it a few years ago. I run 25 feet of hose. Get it on sale for 315. The squeegee tool that comes with it isn't very good. If you spend another 55 on the ct51 squeegee tool and then buy the appropriate wand for it. I forget the part number for the wand. Anyway around 400 bucks and your done. If you got the money get one of those high priced ones but I've been using this one for almost a decade. Actually I just got done swimming in slurry

Braden bell

Name
Braden bell
Sorry it looks like they may not carry that tool any more. It's sold as mastercraft ct51 and CT 14 is the wand. Steambrite carries them. I don't know if it's the best out there but I like mine

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
I have been in search fot the perfect squeeggee forever

A lot will depend on what you are doing

large areas, detail areas, is drying right to the edge important?

Is not introducing dust back into the home important (hepa exhaust

We have tried all above.

different machine for different situations

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Oh yeah, a home would be completely different.

Like the viper for small commercial, very durable. We always have 2 people for vct anyway, but yes its heavy for 1 person.
Little big to fit in your van too.

Each has its pro/con...

Name
Lee Stockwell
Years ago I started with a Pacific 175 that had a mount to store a drive block on top of the motor. I made a 5gallon solution tank that twisted onto that bracket.

Was very handy because it allowed me to stop and step away from the machine without raising the former handle-mounted tank to upright position.

Plus, as noted above, it put the working weight centered over the disk.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
What do you guys think of the proteam 20 gallon wetvac with front mount squeegee?

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
I use an old ninja and as I am collecting the slurry, I am rinsing with neutral cleaner using a hard surface wand. It beats wet vaccing and mopping your rinse agent on and off
That was my idea at first but i can't find any used ones to be had semi locally.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom