Water Softener Not Charging

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
My water softener is blue, cylindrical, with timer on top, like most others. TDS were high, so cleaned out and replaced media. Also replaced upstream sediment filter. Worked great until it needed a charge. It's sucking the brine out of the tank and spiting it out the other side, like it's supposed to, but it's not reducing TDS.

Much obliged.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
do softeners reduce TDS?
That's what my Chinese electronic meter sez. TDS: 0-9990 ppm. I'm at 300-330 ppm, which, according to the enclosed chart, is average tap water. But it has a slight brownish tint.

Water at my kitchen sink is 448, so it's helping some, but should be cleaner.

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
That's what my Chinese electronic meter sez. TDS: 0-9990 ppm. I'm at 300-330 ppm, which, according to the enclosed chart, is average tap water. But it has a slight brownish tint.

Water at my kitchen sink is 448, so it's helping some, but should be cleaner.

Iask because my understanding is that softeners do not remove TDS (essentially just exchanging solids) but I don't know enough about them to say for sure.

Reactions: Johnny

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Fred is correct. softeners exchange minerals for salt it does not reduce TDS. To test the softener redneck stile. Put what is supposed to be the softened water in a bottle add a drop or 2 of soap, shake it (do not add more than that). if it foams the water is softened if not your still dealing with hard water. ( if you add too much soap you will still get head of foam). You can get the real test kit from a water filtration place like culligan or your distributor

Reactions: SamIam and Johnny

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom