VLM Confessions

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
Well I’ve been quietly running an experiment this past year. And I’m sure I’m going to take some heat, but here it goes.

I haven’t used my truckmount once in the past twelve months. The 27hp Briggs 2LC crapped out again and I thought, what the heck, let’s try a 100% VLM business model out!

I’ve ran a porty on exactly one job.

All the rest have been 70% Phoenix and 30% Cimex. Shit pit rentals? VLM. Greasy restaurants? VLM. Clean library? VLM. LVP/LVT? VLM with Zep Neutral cleaner.

I’m even VLM’ing VCT. Bought a Cimex Diamond Finisher with 70# of horseshoe weights and run 3M SPP pads, it grinds the finish off all the way down to the tile. No more stripper fumes.

The results are great, clients are happy, the checks are depositing, and my body feels way better after saving who knows how much wear and tear after a year. My small business now feels like a money printing machine!

Feel free to roast me, it will have zero effect on the bank deposits.

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
If enhanced profitability, reduced fatigue and happy clients is what I’ve fallen victim to, sign me up for more.

Truthfully the truckmount blowing yet another head gasket was just the final straw. I’d been headed towards this direction for about three years before I started this experiment.

At this point, it’s just a business-plain and simple. It’s only purpose is to fund my next phase in life and pay the bills while I’m at it.

It’s not a higher calling.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
So you're a year strong in this new business model.

How many times have you went back to see your work on the truck mount needed jobs a second time around for the repeat customers when they called around a year later?

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
So you're a year strong in this new business model.

How many times have you went back to see your work on the truck mount needed jobs a second time around for the repeat customers when they called around a year later?
I’ve been incorporating this into the business for about 4 years now. I have one specific location that has had nothing but VLM for 3 years continuously. I’ve followed my own work in many instances during that time, no problems to report.

Divert a portion of that “enhanced profitability” towards a new TM engine.
The TM has been fixed and operational the entire year. I’d rather make investments in my other business ventures or retirement fund.

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
I must be doing something wrong-
I see no time savings in the times in VLM. And trying to control my Odissy is a challenge.
We’re running a Phoenix, not the Odyssey. Well kept commercial is done with a Cimex. Tight floor plans are Phoenix territory.

The Cimex runs about 2-3000 ft2 per hour. Way faster than HWE.

If it’s trashed, like a rental, I’ll prevac thoroughly with the Kirby first. Then soak it with Angry Lemon and peroxide to dwell while I bring in the machine, pads, etc. Scrub it with a FiberPlus or Neptune or Moon pad depending on the carpet type.

Don’t be shy with the solution, use what you need with the onboard sprayer. Finish with a microfiber.

The key to being fast with VLM in trashed out places is to prespray with a strong mix and move like a turtle and let the machine do all the work. I use a much weaker mix in the onboard tank. And it’s probably not much faster than a TM in those settings. Maybe slower by a little. It’s way easier on the body though.

Where I’m seeing the most time savings is setup and breakdown. I have an account with an assisted living facility that has me knock out their little rooms between turnovers. I can be in and out in under 35 minutes with zero hose tripping liability. $150 min charge. They love it!

Name
Evets
Well I’ve been quietly running an experiment this past year. And I’m sure I’m going to take some heat, but here it goes.

I haven’t used my truckmount once in the past twelve months. The 27hp Briggs 2LC crapped out again and I thought, what the heck, let’s try a 100% VLM business model out!

I’ve ran a porty on exactly one job.

All the rest have been 70% Phoenix and 30% Cimex. Shit pit rentals? VLM. Greasy restaurants? VLM. Clean library? VLM. LVP/LVT? VLM with Zep Neutral cleaner.

I’m even VLM’ing VCT. Bought a Cimex Diamond Finisher with 70# of horseshoe weights and run 3M SPP pads, it grinds the finish off all the way down to the tile. No more stripper fumes.

The results are great, clients are happy, the checks are depositing, and my body feels way better after saving who knows how much wear and tear after a year. My small business now feels like a money printing machine!

Feel free to roast me, it will have zero effect on the bank deposits.
Do you use any liquid when scrubbing VCT?

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I didn’t have any luck trying to keep spp’s on my Cimex. Maybe the pad drivers on the machine I used are too worn. I can see how the weights might help though. I may try changing pad drivers. I like the thought of that method. Why do you use Cimex on #wellkept commercial?

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
Do you use any liquid when scrubbing VCT?
Yes, usually water or an oz per gallon of Zep Neutral Cleaner.

One more question: Do you clean upholstery? If yes, with what equipment?
Yes, if I have to. I hate upholstery, so it’s only if they ask about it. For low moisture, I’m running those CubeWay car polishers. I’ll drag a porty in if they’re super nasty.

I didn’t have any luck trying to keep spp’s on my Cimex. Maybe the pad drivers on the machine I used are too worn. I can see how the weights might help though. I may try changing pad drivers. I like the thought of that method. Why do you use Cimex on #wellkept commercial?
Kenny, when I run the SPPs under the Cimex Diamond Polisher (it’s not a regular Cimex, but uses the same frame, drivers, tank) I use some Gorilla tape folded over to make a two sided tape pad. Two of those on each SPP pad keeps them centered and under the machine. I also have new drivers.

The 70# of horseshoe weights are what makes the magic happen for stripping VCT. The Cimex DF also weighs way more than a regular one. You can strip with it using just the machine, no weights, but a regular carpet Cimex just doesn’t have the headweight. They do sell a kit for the regular carpet ‘mex that lets you run weights on the sides of the frame that holds the motor.

For well kept commercial the Cimex picks up enough soil. If it’s more than lightly soiled, I’m running the Phoenix with microfibers.

I like the Cimex in those settings because it’s fast, quiet, and holds around 6 gallons. It also shower feeds the solution, so you’re also not breathing that mist. That is one thing I really don’t like about the Phoenix, it throws up a lot of mist from the spray jets.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
On really bad commercial that you described I put Encap Punch in the Cimex which normally would be sprayed. Then I follow up with DS2 or Hydrox with the vibe if needed. Prior to that, I run a 15”crb with renovators that digs the crap out. On vct, I use 175 with spp’s and follow up with wood floor square orbital if needed. It’s heavy enough to really take it down if needed contrary to what some believe.

Reactions: AlienAgent

hogjowl

Idiot™
I did a really horrible restaurant carpet the Tuesday after Christmas. It’s one that has become progressively more difficult to clean as the years have rolled by. I used to have perfect success with just HWE and a wand. I even Cimexed it once using Ricks products and it turned out great. Then it started aging badly and I started having to use my Rotovac with brush head on it, and it took several passes to get it looking good. RV’ing direct glue down carpet can be like riding a bull and it takes a lot longer. This past time, I Cimex’d the HWE detergent in, rinsed with a wand and then still had to VLM last to get it looking good.
The moral of the story is … you need to be a multi method cleaner to be like Porkfabio.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I took Richard C’s advice about using the Cimex to apply detergent. I’ve tinkered with it a little more since, but it works great on difficult situations. I can’t bring myself to do vlm only even if I’m 72.

Name
Evets
I called a company that sells that Cimex and he said he had never heard of someone using it for VCT, and wouldn't recommend it.
Good enough for me.

FredC

Village Idiot
I called a company that sells that Cimex and he said he had never heard of someone using it for VCT, and wouldn't recommend it.
Good enough for me.

Did he say why?

Doesn't seem like it would be an issue for the grinding/polishing machine except for maybe the potential to screw up the vct

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I did a really horrible restaurant carpet the Tuesday after Christmas. It’s one that has become progressively more difficult to clean as the years have rolled by. I used to have perfect success with just HWE and a wand. I even Cimexed it once using Ricks products and it turned out great. Then it started aging badly and I started having to use my Rotovac with brush head on it, and it took several passes to get it looking good. RV’ing direct glue down carpet can be like riding a bull and it takes a lot longer. This past time, I Cimex’d the HWE detergent in, rinsed with a wand and then still had to VLM last to get it looking good.
The moral of the story is … you need to be a multi method cleaner to be like Porkfabio.

By the 80s, I "knew everything" and was convinced my father was already a dinosaur, he was in his 40s after all, and old beyond my imagination.

We had a customer come in asking why he couldn't get an "old restaurant" carpet clean with the nuclear degreaser we were selling at the time and his fire breathing Prochem 150 we sold him.

My father walked by and told him to shampoo it with Chemspec Soil Retardant Shampoo after he used his truck mount the next time. I was so embarassed that he'd say that, and later challenged him as to why that made any sense. I don't remember what he said, but I didn't buy it.

Of course the customer later came in to praise my father for how nice the carpet turned out when he did just that.

All my father did was look in my direction and raise one eyebrow......

That man could devastate me with a look. He's 92 till can :lol:

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
By the 80s, I "knew everything" and was convinced my father was already a dinosaur, he was in his 40s after all, and old beyond my imagination.

We had a customer come in asking why he couldn't get an "old restaurant" carpet clean with the nuclear degreaser we were selling at the time and his fire breathing Prochem 150 we sold him.

My father walked by and told him to shampoo it with Chemspec Soil Retardant Shampoo after he used his truck mount the next time. I was so embarassed that he'd say that, and later challenged him as to why that made any sense. I don't remember what he said, but I didn't buy it.

Of course the customer later came in to praise my father for how nice the carpet turned out when he did just that.

All my father did was look in my direction and raise one eyebrow......

That man could devastate me with a look. He's 92 till can :lol:
Well,, I can relate, we know it alls!!! For me, and , years ago,
I would occasionally do service for a family member who was in the jan -san field.
He had contracts and maintained a variety of locations.
One happened to be the large office space of a manufacturing /building facility. typical glue down, tons of cubicles , and many conference rooms.
I was always impressed at how well maintained the carpet were, as he would only have me in occasionally.
Esp, at one location, the carpeted areas just inside the offices, / adjacent to the warehouse were never in the bad shape you would expect from grease , oil dirt etc.
His secret? He regularly mopped the carpet!!!!
It was during that time I had to look elsewhere, away from my HWE supplier, for products to explore my VLM journey. The old , only one way, MY way mentality.
It took a while but , now , of course that supplier is all in , to all methods.

Curiously, Jim, this was at a place I had taken classes from your Dad.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Well,, I can relate, we know it alls!!! For me, and , years ago,
I would occasionally do service for a family member who was in the jan -san field.
He had contracts and maintained a variety of locations.
One happened to be the large office space of a manufacturing /building facility. typical glue down, tons of cubicles , and many conference rooms.
I was always impressed at how well maintained the carpet were, as he would only have me in occasionally.
Esp, at one location, the carpeted areas just inside the offices, / adjacent to the warehouse were never in the bad shape you would expect from grease , oil dirt etc.
His secret? He regularly mopped the carpet!!!!
It was during that time I had to look elsewhere, away from my HWE supplier, for products to explore my VLM journey. The old , only one way, MY way mentality.
It took a while but , now , of course that supplier is all in , to all methods.

Curiously, Jim, this was at a place I had taken classes from your Dad.

That's a great story!

I'm glad you've met my father :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom