Van wrap pricing?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I know every market is a little different, but it looks like an (almost) full van wrap is going to run us @ $3000. I have a standard length Ford E250. Not having back or side windows covered but am doing some cut vinyl across the top of the windshield.

Does this sound about right? I've never had a wrap installed.

The Clean Machine of Iowa
www.thegreatcleanmachine.com

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Mine were in the $2k range but we only wrapped the body and lettered all the doors.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I get my vans done for $850 installed.
Wraps are worthless if you do not have a great design. Most can not be read across a intersection.
Look at the major brands most use spot graphics for their corporate design. Sure some soda and candy companies do crazy wraps.
Look at fed ex ups walmart ATT Fritos
Just mt thoughts

Reactions: GCCLee and hogjowl

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I get my vans done for $850 installed.
Wraps are worthless if you do not have a great design. Most can not be read across a intersection.
Look at the major brands most use spot graphics for their corporate design. Sure some soda and candy companies do crazy wraps.
Look at fed ex ups walmart ATT Fritos
Just mt thoughts

Tom,

Are they full wraps?

I would literally drive there to save 2K if possible.

My design was done by a 3rd party (Phillip Newell, Sign Amigo) and I'm happy with it. Saiger has seen it and it got his approval too. I took some advice he gave me and Phillip tweaked it a little.

I've resisted posting it on here because I know myself too well. I'll start overthinking it too much.

Thanks.

The Clean Machine

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
<title>CleanMachineVan5</title>
</head>
<body>
<div class="page" title="Page 1">

</div>
</body>
</html>

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I paid $2000 for this 3/4 wrap. Nothing on hood or doors really. Just some lettering. We're stoked on it.
ve8ane3y.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Draper

Wraps can be of different quality. You pay for what you get. A cheap wrap may consist of low quality vinyl without a clear coat on it. Which means yet will fade within 15 months and need replacing. I've had my wrap on 3 years now and it still looks great with no fading. I paid a hefty price though.

Reactions: Derek

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I spend extra on my wraps....with intentional reasons.

Let's chat Russ when we can.

$3000 sound pretty decent for what you showed me Russ, but let's talk about a few things that you can ask the installer the questions maybe needed.

3M product is a better and more durable material, and I would ask if they are using 3M product.

I actually cleaned carpets for the inventor of this product and wrap concept. He has a cabin up North here.

Reactions: GCCLee and Russ T.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Look at coopers he has spot graphics.
You have seen photos of mine I do spot graphics.
Don't get stuck on a wrap.

spot graphics cover about 1/3 the truck thus 1/3 the price. 3k is the normal. My guy would probably charge me high 2k for a full wrap. They charge per sf just like cleaner's.

Customers do not care carpet cleaners do. They see a clean van with a clean cut tech. No less no more.
Very few customer's are going to notice a full wrap. Save your money.

They painted your truck at the factory.
Why cover up the whole truck?

Photos unless very good and a you have great designer usually look terrible from 200 feet away.
Take a look around this next week. So many small companies do this and the trucks suck from far away.

People do two things wrong they put a 18x24 sign on the door or they do a blow out wrap and it can't be read.

A wrap is not your brand it is an extension of your brand.

Logo first, Promotional materials, uniforms, vehicles. It should flow like that.
All national brands have established rules and guidelines how the logo should be applied to different mediums.
Your vehicle is a medium have you defined your brand?

What is your brand? Are you moving it to a vehicle or just trying to do a moving ad?

Take a look at indy car or NASCAR at 200mph what cars stick out? those with the simple design

Look at Richards trucks his is basically just his logo and they look great from far away. Spot graphics.

I used the photos of kids and pets. They stick out like a sore thumb going down the highway. You can spot our trucks going 70 mph in the opposite direction on the interstate. You can read them across an intersection.

Most cleaners only think about when it is sitting in the driveway in front of a house.
what will it look like when it is moving. Will it imprint in someone's head.

When we just had one truck people would say I see your trucks plural all the time.
I knew right or wrong we had hit on something.
Our 2 pictures of the kids on our van were already on our web site and all over our materials.
5 years later I use the girls less on print materials but they will never leave our trucks or web site.
Truthfully I am bored with them but they are part of our brand now. My emotion can not drive the continuity of our brand.

Again look at major brands they are simple and your brain registers the brand every time you see it.

A brand should have an icon. Look at Nike, Adidas, Under amour
What on your wrap will also be on your web site, print materials? All of this carries through.

I got on your web site. Your truck look great. The photos of your family are awesome.
Is your wrap reflecting what you are already doing?

You live in Huxley IA no where America for SEO
You are mapping for Ames IA Why? College town? not a lot of high end customers.
You come up organically for Ankeny.

Spend that money on advertising in Ankeny, West Des Moines, Clive Johnston and Waukee.
Those are the wealthiest areas of the metro area. You are 25-30 minutes from them.

I am not busting your chops. You say you are busy not sure you can get a full time helper, yet you are focusing on the small towns and lower income areas. These areas will bring you higher paying jobs and the online visibility of others is not very good.

My truck letting accounts for these than 1% of my new customer's each year.

For those of you who are about to bust my Ass.
I have lived 2 times in IA Ankeny, Urbandale and Clive

Tom,

Are they full wraps?

I would literally drive there to save 2K if possible.

My design was done by a 3rd party (Phillip Newell, Sign Amigo) and I'm happy with it. Saiger has seen it and it got his approval too. I took some advice he gave me and Phillip tweaked it a little.

I've resisted posting it on here because I know myself too well. I'll start overthinking it too much.

Thanks.

The Clean Machine

Last edited:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Tom and Richard changed my mind on this subject so i would listen to them and look at chavez's trucks. We started with a blue truck then did a couple wraps and now regret it.

This is what happens, a couple dozen people a year stop me at supermarkets,gas stations, parked,etc asking for cards. So i think oh this must really be working out great.
WRONG! We are missing out on the 100's of thousands of drivers we pass every year.

Keep it simple and consistent with the rest of your business.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Tom, lots of good info and some inaccurate. Ames, although known to be a big college town (ISU), has A LOT OF VERY HIGH END HOMES. Don't paint a large town / small city with such a broad stroke.

That said, the college kids eat up my Adwords budget this time of year so I avoid using it in Ames.

Our location DOES present some problems for business, also creates some opportunities. I live 10 minutes south of Ames. Ames is a HUGE MIX of income levels and types of surfaces that need cleaned.

I'm 10 minutes north of Ankeny. You are familiar with Ankeny so we will suffice to say that Ankeny is a HUGE suburb of DSM, full of homes, apartments, and businesses. Ankeny, like Ames, has a large mixture of small older homes and huge palaces (think Tom King's house ;-)).

Didn't mean to talk about demographics, I am well aware of the demographics where I run my business.

Although I'm not perfect and have a TON to learn I want to share a tiny piece of wisdom I've learned recently. It has to start by asking yourself "What do I want?". For me, I WANT a small, local, thriving business. The size of my business may never impress you or anyone else. The truth is I don't care to impress anybody. I DO, however, go to great lengths to impress a customer so don't want to mislead.

Next question is "Who am I?". As I push forward, I want to ACCURATELY represent myself through all of my marketing efforts and personal interaction. If I pretend to be something I'm not, it'll bite me.

I've been in management positions over crews of 15-20. It gets tough, at that size to manage quality.

Lots of ways to make $ in this biz. Although a portion of our market does include apartment move outs, we are making efforts to reach the more discriminating, high-end client.

I do appreciate the feedback. I'm here to learn. Tom and I may have trouble connecting because there are quite a few differences between us. The biggest difference might be that neither of us would trade places with the other. I'd rather be on the truck all day than set up sales routes for myself. Tom would rather die than put in a week doing what I do, and vice versa. Both of us are right if we are being authentic and enjoying what we do.

Another challenge I have, as opposed to you Tom. I think we are at different stages in life. I have a wife and 2 boys (13,4). I asked Mel to quit her job indefinitely when we had Max, over 4 years ago now. She sold home warranties over the phone and did very well at it. I made the choice to bring Mel home and make it work ($$$) on my own. This presents some financial challenges but we made the decision for reasons more important than financial. Mel is now our "PR Guru" and is very good at it.

Tom, you're making me think hard about the spot graphics. I appreciate that. I kind of like the portion of our logo that has our biz name. I could potentially eliminate the upper portion of our logo in favor of blowing up our name. Our name really says a lot. But like you said, I need to be faithful and consistent with my branding.

My little biz is getting attention. From people and a multitrack operation that dominates the Ames market. There is a great "buzz" going around about us. There should be. We are good at what we do and love doing it! I can't ever say enough what this board has done for my growth as a small biz owner. Thanks guys!

Reactions: Art Kelley

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Russ
I think you have a great business and you are right it is not about bigness.

A few weeks ago you wrote you were unsure about bringing a helper on and the ability to keep him all year.

I was trying to make the case for why spend 3k on a wrap when you have very high-end clients you are not yet reaching on your back door and you already have a great image that you a presenting.

Having lived on 2 occasions for over 6 years in your area and in the suburbs of Ankeny, Urbandale and Clive.
I move to thinking just about the numbers of who would I target if I where marketing there.

I pulled up some 2011 data on City-data.com best I could find quickly.

If you add the northwest suburbs of Des Moines together you get the following data.

These include Clive, Johnston, Urbandale, Waukee and West Des Moines
Household income avg. 82,872
Average House sale price 227,410
Population 151,195
Average age 35.5 years

The cities of Ankeny and Ames
Household income avg. 54,705
Average House sale price 177,411
Population 109,634
Average age 27.8 years

That is
34% more income than the areas you are targeting
22% more home value
41,561 more people to network and market to in a much closer area.
The same travel time as going to your largest population center in your target area

I don't mean to say get big or do what I am doing I mean to say target a higher end client so you can have that helper year round and stay on the truck with higher end clients.

You also know as well as I do the older west side of Des Moines has some very high end exclusive areas with large estates and the Saylorville lake area has many custom built homes on private lots which is right on you way to the northwest corner the back way out of Ankeny to Johnston.
Ames has some older areas because of the university that do have those high end targets but not even close to the numbers you find going south.

Being any size is fine if it fits you life goals but why not sell to the highest earning clients big or small.

You have the background and presentation to make those type of clients very excited about you and your company.

I was just trying to say the northwest suburbs of DSM have more of them in a more concentrated area.

Not trying to give you a business review. You know how I love that. :)

I have some ideas about some high end targets lets talk next week.

I think you are in a great market.

One of my best friends from college runs a solid janitorial business and subs out all his carpet cleaning.
Let's see if I can get you two connected. I know who he uses and I think you might do well together.
We cleaned commercial carpets together for 4 years. He decide a mop was better than a wand.

PS the fat man started 2 water damage jobs today and facilitated delivering equipment to 3 others Friday.
I will be following 2 of those jobs to completion minus the final carpet cleanings.
I run at least 2 water jobs, small ones myself each month.
Don't confuse fatness with laziness. LOL

Tom, lots of good info and some inaccurate. Ames, although known to be a big college town (ISU), has A LOT OF VERY HIGH END HOMES. Don't paint a large town / small city with such a broad stroke.

That said, the college kids eat up my Adwords budget this time of year so I avoid using it in Ames.

Our location DOES present some problems for business, also creates some opportunities. I live 10 minutes south of Ames. Ames is a HUGE MIX of income levels and types of surfaces that need cleaned.

I'm 10 minutes north of Ankeny. You are familiar with Ankeny so we will suffice to say that Ankeny is a HUGE suburb of DSM, full of homes, apartments, and businesses. Ankeny, like Ames, has a large mixture of small older homes and huge palaces (think Tom King's house ;-)).

Didn't mean to talk about demographics, I am well aware of the demographics where I run my business.

Although I'm not perfect and have a TON to learn I want to share a tiny piece of wisdom I've learned recently. It has to start by asking yourself "What do I want?". For me, I WANT a small, local, thriving business. The size of my business may never impress you or anyone else. The truth is I don't care to impress anybody. I DO, however, go to great lengths to impress a customer so don't want to mislead.

Next question is "Who am I?". As I push forward, I want to ACCURATELY represent myself through all of my marketing efforts and personal interaction. If I pretend to be something I'm not, it'll bite me.

I've been in management positions over crews of 15-20. It gets tough, at that size to manage quality.

Lots of ways to make $ in this biz. Although a portion of our market does include apartment move outs, we are making efforts to reach the more discriminating, high-end client.

I do appreciate the feedback. I'm here to learn. Tom and I may have trouble connecting because there are quite a few differences between us. The biggest difference might be that neither of us would trade places with the other. I'd rather be on the truck all day than set up sales routes for myself. Tom would rather die than put in a week doing what I do, and vice versa. Both of us are right if we are being authentic and enjoying what we do.

Another challenge I have, as opposed to you Tom. I think we are at different stages in life. I have a wife and 2 boys (13,4). I asked Mel to quit her job indefinitely when we had Max, over 4 years ago now. She sold home warranties over the phone and did very well at it. I made the choice to bring Mel home and make it work ($$$) on my own. This presents some financial challenges but we made the decision for reasons more important than financial. Mel is now our "PR Guru" and is very good at it.

Tom, you're making me think hard about the spot graphics. I appreciate that. I kind of like the portion of our logo that has our biz name. I could potentially eliminate the upper portion of our logo in favor of blowing up our name. Our name really says a lot. But like you said, I need to be faithful and consistent with my branding.

My little biz is getting attention. From people and a multitrack operation that dominates the Ames market. There is a great "buzz" going around about us. There should be. We are good at what we do and love doing it! I can't ever say enough what this board has done for my growth as a small biz owner. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Thanks for the data Tom. I think the data for Ames is skewed (maybe a lot) by having a college full of almost 35k broke college kids.

I agree there is MUCH more going on south of us. We love the Saylorville area. We take our camper down there as much as we can in the Summer.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Russ,
Stay loyal to who you are and just keep at it. Nobody knows your vision better than you. Enjoying what you do and the road to getting there can be a blessing. Just keep your mind open and don't close any doors.

What does not work for you now, may in the future. Your goals and the means to achieve them may change with time as well.

As per your wrap, tom's making some excellent points, yet forgetting that FedEx and Nike etc. spent a few billion dollars to gain public recognition. I have a sneaking doubt that you do not operate with the same budget. Your wrap will need to strike a fine balance of being easily recognized, appealing, as well as describing what you do.

If I were you, I'd run the wrap design by some of your women clients. Since women are likely to be the majority of your clients, why not get the opinion that really counts? - The decision makers' opinion.

Later on, be it for entertainment or masochism, run it by your crusty carpet cleaner of choice.

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Thanks Ofer.
I really appreciate the thoughtfulness and honesty (and humor) put into all of your posts. I'm sitting by the fire in my back yard with my wife and really needed the encouragement. She is my biggest fan but it helps SO MUCH that I know I've got guys pulling for us, even in San Francisco!

We have been sitting on this wrap design for a year now. We recently tweaked it a little after MF10 and running the design by Saiger. It's a big deal to us and I often overthink things. Mel is saying "do the wrap!" And I'm just a little scared to jump sometimes. It truly looks awesome and the ladies are going to dig it. You're absolutely right, that's what matters in our biz. Mel played a big part in the design and she's way more creative than me.

Thanks again my Israeli friend! ;-)

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Thanks Ofer.
I really appreciate the thoughtfulness and honesty (and humor) put into all of your posts. I'm sitting by the fire in my back yard with my wife and really needed the encouragement. She is my biggest fan but it helps SO MUCH that I know I've got guys pulling for us, even in San Francisco!

We have been sitting on this wrap design for a year now. We recently tweaked it a little after MF10 and running the design by Saiger. It's a big deal to us and I often overthink things. Mel is saying "do the wrap!" And I'm just a little scared to jump sometimes. It truly looks awesome and the ladies are going to dig it. You're absolutely right, that's what matters in our biz. Mel played a big part in the design and she's way more creative than me.

Thanks again my Israeli friend! ;-)

If thats what you want to do russ go for it.

I think a color with lettering is more effective but thats just my opinion.

Reactions: Russ T.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Thanks for the data Tom. I think the data for Ames is skewed (maybe a lot) by having a college full of almost 35k broke college kids.

I agree there is MUCH more going on south of us. We love the Saylorville area. We take our camper down there as much as we can in the Summer.

If that is the case then your target audience is even smaller.
Looking only at the numbers the northwest corner of DSM is a very interesting target area.

Reactions: Russ T.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads

Exactly the way I feel. I've been a GM of a restaurant business of 40 people, owned my own businesses of up to a dozen people and now I am a one man band. And probably as happy as I've ever been. Far less stress and I think I'm actually keeping more $ in my wallet than I ever have before. 6 years ago if you had told me that I'd be actually CLEANNG carpet as a tech/owner AND be happy I would have never believed you.

But here I am and I am :biggrin:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I'm in Canada and we have to pay more for things up here. My truck cost me about $3500 for the box sides, the full cab, and a logo on the roof to cover signage from the previous owner. It included the design work as well. If you can't read it across a parking lot, not much good. Keep it simple, keep it readable. Pictures can be very distracting and some fonts should never be used. Can't say how many times I've followed someone for 20 minutes and still couldn't read what was on their truck!

20140411_172245_zpsffb3b7e0.jpg

Name
kara
Most wraps depend on total design time. Using good products, and average design time with a good installer, the price should be around $2,500 for the whole project. That's covering all the painted surfaces excluding the roof.

Vehicle advertising does work great!-- You can still have a huge impact with a partial wrap and save a few bucks.

We offer free mock-ups

Last edited by a moderator:

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Kara welcome to Mikey's Board.
As a vendor you are welcome to buy some ad space by contacting Mike.
Venders do not generally just start running posts for their services.

We look for them to enter into our community and add value to the conversation.

If you care to post what are the best types of film to use. How long some one should expect a good wrap to last. The average cost per square foot or how large text needs to be to be viewed at different distances that would be great. You will sell more when you add more value.

i know you tried to do that with your post but it's your first post and you basically wanted to send people to your site. join us before you try to sell us. we buy more.

Thanks and again welcome.

Most wraps depend on total design time. Using good products, and average design time with a good installer, the price should be around $2,500 for the whole project. That's covering all the painted surfaces excluding the roof.

Vehicle advertising does work great!-- You can still have a huge impact with a partial wrap and save a few bucks.

We offer free mock-ups

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
kara
I understand completely. Thank you for the warm welcome. We have a ton of expertise that we plan to share. And always welcome any questions with regard to vehicle advertising and other elements of marketing. We are committed to offering honest advise that helps your industry as a whole, whether we receive a monetary reward or not, you can trust we will share our real experiences with various types of products we have used and the true results received.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Here's the roof of my truck. I added the logo there to cover the signage from the previous owner.
e5cfff50-293f-4f1e-917e-ef5c5763a011_zpse8a40593.jpg

If you're buying a NEW truck, a wrap might not be as necessary as when you buy a used vehicle. In my case, the truck needed a good paint job, the paint was ok but needed sprucing up. The wrap cost me what the paint job would have, and I have the graphics already in place. Everyone is surprised when I tell them this is a 95, and very surprised to discover its not paint.
Plus, I am thinking the vinyl material does stand up better to tree branch rubs better than paint. Had a good rub the other day, being very protective over a wrap that is not even 2 months old you can imagine how I felt, but it really didn't leave that much of a mark.

Reactions: Derek
Name
kara
Tree scrapes on van wrap vinyl

Plus, I am thinking the vinyl material does stand up better to tree branch rubs better than paint. Had a good rub the other day, being very protective over a wrap that is not even 2 months old you can imagine how I felt, but it really didn't leave that much of a mark.[/QUOTE]

Hint: if you take a hand held LP torch about 5-7 inches away from the scuffed vinyl where the tree rubbed, and work the torch in a short wave pattern just over the suffed area, you can sometimes bring luster back to the vinyl without having to spend money replacing it. **** be careful not to over heat and burn the vinyl.... If nervous don't attempt.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Yes wraps are big bucks. I am a cheapskate by nature and usually find ways to save a buck or a thousand. I actually order my wrap material direct from a printer for very cheap and pay someone to install it. I have the van wraped from the front door around the back. I do have a small stripe on the front door. I pay $850 for the material and 500 to install it in california. the company I purchase from has 3 100k printers that run 24hrs a day. They purchase material from 3m by the truckload reducing material costs. If im not mistaken I pay about $6.50 per foot for the material. You can also go on 3ms site and find certified local installers that will put it on.

It is a little bit of extra foot work to do the wrap but in the end the savings are considerable especially if you are looking to wrap more than one van. I also have the benefit that my designer is now a pastor but used to work at a sign shop so he knows the insides and outsides of the wrap process.

One of the companies I have ordered material from are Merrit graphics in east hartford ct.

Last edited:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Yes wraps are big bucks. I am a cheapskate by nature and usually find ways to save a buck or a thousand. I actually order my wrap material direct from a printer for very cheap and pay someone to install it. I have the van wraped from the front door around the back. I do have a small stripe on the front door. I pay $850 for the material and 500 to install it in california. the company I purchase from has 3 100k printers that run 24hrs a day. They purchase material from 3m by the truckload reducing material costs. If im not mistaken I pay about $6.50 per foot for the material. You can also go on 3ms site and find certified local installers that will put it on.

It is a little bit of extra foot work to do the wrap but in the end the savings are considerable especially if you are looking to wrap more than one van. I also have the benefit that my designer is now a pastor but used to work at a sign shop so he knows the insides and outsides of the wrap process.

One of the companies I have ordered material from are Merrit graphics in east hartford ct.

Are you getting that thick vinyl with the glue in pressure sensitive micro-beads? That is the good stuff for wraps!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom