Taking on more.....You should take on more....

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
It's amazing how often I get contacted by others in the industry that say "you should take on more work and start this with your business"....

As most of you know, I have shut down our smoke & fire restoration division going on 2 years ago due to personal reasons and sold a lot of my water restoration equipment because we were cutting back there too.

Some of this reduction was due to personal reasons (wanting more time to enjoy some things).... and some things going on locally in our local restoration field....

And other decisions were WE ARE JUST DANG BUSY our carpet cleaning division and people will wait for us and pay a premium price....

After one such contact from a person giving suggestions about expanding my business more in my little rural area in another area of cleaning, this article popped up and I felt the need to share it here.

I have been signed up for Larry Galler's weekly news tips for a little over a year and find them sometimes very helpful and at least get me thinking....this one was very timely today....

Just wanted to share if can be helpful too....best wishes everyone :)

The PPP (Personal Productivity Project)

For the past fifty years or so, ever since the digital revolution we’ve been on a steeply rising productivity slope that seems to always be getting steeper. Production is up. Number of transactions per hour is up. Sales volume per worker is up. The net result is more stuff is made, sold, and delivered with less physical effort and yet we all seem to be continuing a quest to squeeze more productivity out of the same, limited, amount of time.

And at the same time that we’re working frantically to produce more output with less input we are enticed to spend time volunteering for worthy causes or interests, exercising, running an endless amount of errands, being good spouses, great parents and otherwise trying to keep it all from spinning out of control and getting all of it done to a very high standard.

Some become overwhelmed and question the sanity of this while others attempt to control it by applying strategic decisions and personal discipline. One person told me recently how he analyzed his productivity efforts and created his own Personal Productivity Project.

He started by asking: “What are the high priority and low priority projects I am working on and how much time, energy, and creativity am I spending on each” Surprisingly he found he was investing almost as much of himself on low priority projects as on those with a higher priority. He made it a new, high priority project to spend far less time on those low priority projects so he would have more time, energy, and creativity for the projects that would give him a greater payback in both his personal life and his business life.

According to him, he is now being more productive in the important areas that matter to him which makes him more satisfied at the end of every day. He has more of himself available to pursue the things that are more important to him.

He suggested to me that I should take on my own PPP starting with analyzing the priority level of my activities and then pass on this concept to you.

Send a comment or question to Larry: larry@larrygaller.com

lg_divider.gif

A number of "Encore Columns" are on the NWI Times website for your reading pleasure at http://www.nwitimes.com/business/columnists/larry-galler/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom