Should the CC industry lobby to become a reconized trade ?

Name
Jesse
No Mardie, No. We already have standards. They are set by our need to satisfy our customers.

But please:
How much would this license have to cost in order to have everybody Von Shradering to your standards?
What would be regulated? Method, Dry times, pricing, chemicals, training (how much), etc?
Or do you just mean increasing the cost of doing business? how much?

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
No Mardie, No. We already have standards. They are set by our need to satisfy our customers.

But please:
How much would this license have to cost in order to have everybody Von Shradering to your standards?
What would be regulated? Method, Dry times, pricing, chemicals, training (how much), etc?
Or do you just mean increasing the cost of doing business? how much?

Good point about the standards being set by our customers. It is true that the pretend cc make the good ones look great.
I can see the main thing that should be regulated would be training and the enforcment of ethical (not joe polish style) bussness practice.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
No i dont like regulation as a whole but it should prevent all the rift raff from entering this industries and would give this industry a reconized legitimacy.

Mardie, think about it..
there are tons of shoddy/shady electricians, plumbers, HVAC and general contractors out there .
if you were as familiar with those trades as i am, you'd know that.

as far as "legitimacy", maybe you have a self esteem issue??
...cause the reality is, we're just an extension of the "cleaning staff".
Would you make janitors a "trade" or the "cleaning woman" that comes every Thursday ?

or maybe you don't like the relatively low start up cost ?
I'm sure there are guys in the painting and lawn care biz that whine a similar tune as you

I assure you Mardie, the bottom feeders and shoddy workmanship won't go away regardless of regs .
I "know" that, because I know LOTS of contractors in all the building trades

all your proposal will do is increase the cost of doing biz and make it tougher for the "legitimate" little guy that's earning a living

..l.T.A.

Reactions: Hoody

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Mardie, i keep hoping you'll figure it out, cause i like you ...but i fear you're doomed to be a nincompoop all your life...:hopeless:

..LT.A.
You know Larry as much as you have critisized me i like you and respect your input because i have an open mind and take all things said with the understanding that every body has their opinions which are based on their experience and beliefs which is good. I posted this because i thought it was a valid question for this board and i wanted to know what everybody else thought. Comments like Able Keith made are petty and counter productive to this boards agenda.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Mardie, think about it..
there are tons of shoddy/shady electricians, plumbers, HVAC and general contractors out there .
if you were as familiar with those trades as i am, you'd know that.

as far as "legitimacy", maybe you have a self esteem issue??
...cause the reality is, we're just an extension of the "cleaning staff".
Would you make janitors a "trade" or the "cleaning woman" that comes every Thursday ?

or maybe you don't like the relatively low start up cost ?
I'm sure there are guys in the painting and lawn care biz that whine a similar tune as you

I assure you Mardie, the bottom feeders and shoddy workmanship won't go away regardless of regs .
I "know" that, because I know LOTS of contractors in all the building trades

all your proposal will do is increase the cost of doing biz and make it tougher for the "legitimate" little guy that's earning a living

..l.T.A.
Good point. As far as my self esteem goes i do sometimes see this industries operators as the carnnies of the business world which reflects badly on the whole industry. It makes me look good in comparison but that does'nt mean i like it.
Can't see how a maid service or janitorial would qualify for being a licenced trade.
The TV show Holmes on Homes comes to mind when thinking about licence contractors. Do you get that TV show ?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Good point. As far as my self esteem goes i do sometimes see this industries operators as the carnnies of the business world which reflects badly on the whole industry.

the cleaning biz will never be seen as a glamorous trade..just the nature of the job.
But i think maybe you're focused too much on the lower end of the biz and aren't seeing that there are just as many or more that portray a professional image .
Most here like to dog Stanley Steemer, but those I see running around in my area have clean vans and uniformed techs .
Same for most of the owner/ops I personally know ..they're not the dregs of society ripping folks off, poisoning homes and rotting carpet with mold
are they excessive compulsive disorder types like Ron Werner that massages each and every individual fiber bundle to "operating room" sterile conditions?...prob'ly not, but they're pros that care about their work for the most part

You're new to the biz and care about your work.
I dare say that most here think they're "the best" and in their first 5-10 years had tremendous growth .
They too heard (and hear) all the same things you're hearing now;

"So 'N So from SpeedyCleen didn't do this, that or the other. You're so much better"

it's normal and we all hear it for two major reasons;
1.) we actually are better than the other guy
2.) due to our interaction with the custy, they "perceive" us to be better ..whether it's true in reality or not.
I swear I have some custys that like me so much, i could spit on the floor and rub it in with a my foot, and they claim to all their friends I'm "the best"
to illustrate that point, here's an honest to God true story;
I had just finished vaccing a bed rm and Mrs Phiff walked in and says,

"oh my Larry, that looks so great, no one has ever made my carpets look as good as that"

never mind that the carpet was still dirty and hadn't been cleaned ...her "perception" made it (and me) the "the best" ever

Can't see how a maid service or janitorial would qualify for being a licenced trade.

or do i see how CCing should be either .....boil it all down and it's just cleaning
it's just soap and water ...nothing mystical, magical or all that complicated about it

naw'mean?

The TV show Holmes on Homes comes to mind

never watch 'em ... those shows are for women and feminine mens without a clue ....:eekk::razz:

..L.T.A.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
But i think maybe you're focused too much on the lower end of the biz and aren't seeing that there are just as many or more that portray a professional image .
Larry he's a dry foamer, hard to see anything but bottom feeders from where he's at.:razz:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I agree Lar and in fact would say that we would be farther down the regulatory need than housekeepers & janitors. They are cleaning the things we touch and sit on like toilets, dressers, sinks, counters etc. Like you said it is just soap and water no big thingy.

Ken
Ps I hate those Holmes shows, but do like Food Network stuff :-)

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
never mind that the carpet was still dirty and hadn't been cleaned ...her "perception" made it (and me) the "the best" ever
..L.T.A.

Quality perceived is quality achieved!

The prior owner of my company was a splash and dash guy, but for 30 years his customers thought he was the best - until they met me...:cool:

The last thing we need is more regulation. The IICRC is / was an attempt at standardization, but we all know how that goes. Regulation is only worthwhile if enforced. Who would be the rug police? This regulatory enforcement would require a nationwide staff of generals and solders to assure we were all adhering to the standard. The price of enforcement would be paid by those of us who choose to operate a legitimate business.

At the end of the day, those who wish to run a shoddy business will operate under the radar and still get work.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I agree Lar and in fact would say that we would be farther down the regulatory need than housekeepers & janitors. They are cleaning the things we touch and sit on like toilets, dressers, sinks, counters etc. Like you said it is just soap and water no big thingy.

Ken
Ps I hate those Holmes shows, but do like Food Network stuff :-)
Ya but Ken janitors and houskeeping do not deal with the whole array of opperating hazards and liabilities that a typical T/M operator dose.That is the difference.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If by bottom feeders you mean steam cleaners then you are correct. I take my work from wet cleaners at will. :lol:

That doesn't phase me one bit, we are not "One Trick Ponies" singing the same old song. :oldrolleyes:

Oh by the way all the major carpet mills recommend HWE, NOT Dry Foam!

Grow up Trick, you're using a dated method that produces limited results and no matter how much you knock TM's and HWE your cleaning doesn't hold a candle to it.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
That doesn't phase me one bit, we are not "One Trick Ponies" singing the same old song. :oldrolleyes:

Oh by the way all the major carpet mills recommend HWE, NOT Dry Foam!

Grow up Trick, you're using a dated method that produces limited results and no matter how much you knock TM's and HWE your cleaning doesn't hold a candle to it.

Isnt it funny how every time i post a thread it seem to turn into a pissing match on methods. I laugh at how when you hwe guys run out of ways to justify your investment that you run to the good old carpet mill recomended thing. You should know that the public are the ones that recomend the best company or methood for their satisfaction and they do not give a rats ass about what some one else is trying to convince them.They pay the money so they will be the judge.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Agreed there are over a dozen companies that operate one or several TM's in town, several low moisture with 175 or OP but not a single dry foamer.

Dude the 70's want your machine back, that method is old school technology. If we were in the medical profession you'd be sued for malpractice!

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Agreed there are over a dozen companies that operate one or several TM's in town, several low moisture with 175 or OP but not a single dry foamer.

Dude the 70's want your machine back, that method is old school technology. If we were in the medical profession you'd be sued for malpractice!

Gee i wonder what all the hospitals medical clinics and retirment homes that i am the exclusive contractor for would think about them rediculous claims you make.

The one main reson the equipment i use is not widley used is because your typical well trained monkey would never be able to figure out how to make it work properly.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The one main reason the equipment i use is not widley used is because your typical well trained monkey would never be able to figure out how to make it work properly.

I strongly disagree, Mardie
learning how to run that shampoo box is no more or less difficult than most any piece of equipment
and honest to God, I don't care what method you or anyone else uses ..but the MAIN reason it's not widely used is simply and wholly due to being less efficient compared to other methods that give equal or better results .

now, lets get back to exploring this idea of gov regs and how they'll work.

how do you envision these new gov regs to be set up ?
Will we have to get a gov cert for each individual method used and be certified gov "oakie doakie" to use a TM, OP/rotary , shampoo box and solvent soaked ground corn cob? (Host if you're not familiar)
What will the cost need to be to keep out the "riff raff" ?
How comprehensive will the training be and what will it cover
who will oversee and enforce it?..the EPA? OSHA? state and/or local agencies?
(will it be Federal or state/local ?)

..L.T.A.

..l.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Gee i wonder what all the hospitals medical clinics and retirment homes that i am the exclusive contractor for would think about them rediculous claims you make.

The one main reson the equipment i use is not widley used is because your typical well trained monkey would never be able to figure out how to make it work properly.
No claims, just reality! Hate to pop your bubble but when the day comes and you're losing market share it's going to be from someone using more advanced technology. "Exclusive Contractor"? dude that can change at a whim, today you are it tomorrow the phone isn't ringing because they are calling someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Ya but Ken janitors and houskeeping do not deal with the whole array of opperating hazards and liabilities that a typical T/M operator dose.That is the difference.

What operating hazards would that be that are not on counters, toilet bowls and seats?

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
He doesn't care about any of that he just wants to make it more difficult for newbies to start up. He's not thinking about or doesn't care about the unintended consequences. He wants to get in bed with government to limit competition.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Jeff Madsen

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom