Should I consider replacing my NorthStar with Little Giant?

Name
Ross Martin
Love the heat that my Northstar diesel burner puts out.

But, I do have to find an outlet every job. Usually not a problem. Every house down here usually has one right next to the front door. But sometimes there is not, or it doesn't work, or is far away and I have to run an additional extension.

What are the cons and pros of running a Little Giant?

Thanks.

Mike Draper

The only con I can think of is if you dont have propane access nearby or its really expensive. I cant think of anything else. Been Running a LG for 5 years now and have never had any issues.

Reactions: Josh Wood

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
image.jpeg

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
This diesel heater is off the Eldiablo, works great. I bought the inverter off amazon for $200, great time saver.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Pay attention when lightning it.
Clean the burner at least twice a year.
Have some way to block the wind from blowing out the pilot light. Corner guard works for me.
Only the wind and my judgment of how much propane was left in the tank has left me without heat.
If you get the new 4ht xp high pressure unit you will have lots of heat and not have to worry about going too high on the psi.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
One of my machines has a kerosene/diesel heater, I hate the smell of that stuff, gets in everything. I have run a little giant on my other machine for years, much better.

If you order straight from Little Giant don't expect great service, they are known for their mediocre service.

Name
Marcus
If you use kerosene the odor isn't bad at all...
Get the inverter or......
Northern tools has a new burner that is dc and doesn't need elec outlet...
Also kleanline has some stainless steel cores a little more expense.......
Stick with kero it burns hotter flame is off when the trigger is off...
Propane is a gas and more flammable......
Cap

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
If you use kerosene the odor isn't bad at all...
Get the inverter or......
Northern tools has a new burner that is dc and doesn't need elec outlet...
Also kleanline has some stainless steel cores a little more expense.......
Stick with kero it burns hotter flame is off when the trigger is off...
Propane is a gas and more flammable......
Cap

Is this what your referring to? HOT2GO BURNER

47489_2000x2000.jpg

My engine exhaust exchanger is limping along due to a defect (bad welding job by manufacturer - thanks Hydramaster) and I've been considering an ad on like a LG or one of the Northern tools water heaters. It looks well built and has a small footprint. The possible downside is the diesel exhaust and the thing is #$@% HEAVY. I wonder how well they are constructed?

Now here is what looks like the SAME burner with a different name for $500 less. Making me wonder what if anything is different besides the brand name its being sold under. Hydrotek CPHL5DCH Hot Link

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
kerosene or diesel is always going to be hotter. Usually 220,000 btu's or greater. Lg 3ht is 120,000 btu's and 4ht is 180,000 btu's. Both can be purchased in high pressure configurations. I have lg's for 30 years with no problems. Simple add on to any truck mount, no electrical power needed. Propane is very safe when used with some common sense. (oh right, i'm talking to carpet cleaners here) When you are using it, leave your doors and windows open. If you have a small leak, it will dissipate into the air however, if you have doors and windows closed, it will accumulate and explode. Install the heater deeper into the van to prevent gusts of wind from blowing the pilot out. Turn off the heater after every job. Don't drive with your pilot on. Many areas require you to have a tank mounted outside the vehicle. You can always put on a longer hose and use a portable 20lb tank and place outside the vehicle. Check your fittings often with dish soap and water. Air bubbles mean you have a leak. I find that the 3ht is all I need. I get about 230 f. using a 6 flow wand (2-11003) you need to clean the burner nozzles about once or twice a year to keep your heat up. Bring one extra bottle of propane if you think you are low. Easy to change on the job.

kevinj6121

Name
kevin
I'm really almost ready to pull the trigger on a little giant heater to use with my Mytee ltd5 was looking at the
Model #2HT SQ Hotomatic® Cart System

but do not know much about them other then most seem to really like them. Do these things need to be plugged in to electric at all??
Does anyone know of the best place to get one at for the best price and do they work with portables at 400 to 500 psi

Attachments

• alittlegiant.jpg
    alittlegiant.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 474

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I use a LG2 with my portable, no issues. It doesn't need anything but propane. The 2 can't go over 600 psi (the relief is set at 600).

Edit - one issue. It gets so hot my Hydroforce won't draw - I have to prespray with the burner off.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Dan, I'm not sure why your Hydroforce won't draw when it's hot. I use a lg 3ht and when spraying with the Hydroforce with a 8004 jet it begins to turn into steam but still draws. You can always turn down your thermostat when prespraying then turn it back up to clean. I blew the coil on a old 3ht on my tm some years ago and replaced it with the 2ht because I had it lying around the shop. I got around 180 to 210 out of it with a 4 flow wand. As good as most cds units. I have been considering going with a heat exchanger on one of the units that I am rebuilding but when you add in all the extras and factor in that you are bypassing water to the recovery tank, the lg is the simplest way to go. I may order a 4ht hp for my next project.

Name
Nate W.
I got 1 #2, 2 #3 and 1 #4 LG heaters... Love the simplicity of them... I grew up on them and easy to maintain... Common sense is needed when using propane... Some of the cleaners here aren't the brightest and I'd be very afraid to see them with a LG....

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
If your truck runs off diesel then you can tie into the fuel system. Easy peasy. 12 vdc isn't as reliable, run the inverter your better off. Doesn't smell as bad as some of the stuff we suck up.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I got 1 #2, 2 #3 and 1 #4 LG heaters... Love the simplicity of them... I grew up on them and easy to maintain... Common sense is needed when using propane... Some of the cleaners here aren't the brightest and I'd be very afraid to see them with a LG....
Hey, Nate how does that 4 compare to the 3. Higher temps or just more heat for larger flow tools

kevinj6121

Name
kevin
Thanks for all the response, but does anyone know where the best place to get one for the best price, or should i just go thru little giant directly

Name
Nate W.
Hey, Nate how does that 4 compare to the 3. Higher temps or just more heat for larger flow tools

Idk if my #3 LG heaters are too old, but with a lie detector I couldn't get more than 210° out of mine when it spiked... It would drop to 170°-180° constant.... Granted only the jets been cleaned but no burner ring changed... The #4 LG will hold it more consistent and for a longer period of time... Yes you can use higher flow tools as my zipper was 15flow and it would hold 240° turned all the way up.... I've even had it peg my 250° lie detector which would have to be about 270° and it didn't let off with my Zipper... (And yes I know it doesn't clean well over 240° but I wanted to see what it could do) The RV360i will keep the temps up without letting off on the trigger for long periods of time... I do know that cleaning with higher heat makes the carpet cleaner and dries it faster....

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I used to have an old 3ht with wonky controls, it used to spike at 280 then drop to about 220 then cycle back up. At 280, it used to make the old ladies jump when you pull the trigger. Problem was, you couldn't see what you were doing because of all the steam. My new one doesn't seem to get beyond 230, which is fine and safe but I still miss the crazy heat. I'm thinking of the 4ht, not for hotter heat but for more consistent heat with a large flow tool.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Thanks for all the response, but does anyone know where the best place to get one for the best price, or should i just go thru little giant directly
If you are going to pick it up yourself, go to the nearest supplier. If your going to have it shipped, order it from Little Giant in Texas. Prices seem to be the same. Remember to order your ignitor,pressure relief valve,regulator and hose.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Les Jones has a lot of technical experience and knowledge with propane heat systems and LG heaters for truckmounts and portables too. He has set up systems with tanks under the van/trucks for propane and CNG too, if you live in a State that requires that as mentioned earlier.
He knows all about servicing procedures and intervals, etc etc.

He used to have all kinds of videos on here. Not sure if they are still but you can do a quick search to see.
I've got a Kerosene burner and never had an issue with smoke, soot or smell from burning it. All those that have experienced those problems must have had something wrong. Of course, kerosene has an odor when filling the tank but no worse than filling a gas can. As long as you don't pour it all over the outside of the container or spill it inside the van... like anything, if you're careful, you'll be fine.
Cappy

Name
Marcus
Agree with kerosene ....little if no odor on burning...
Also you can turn down burner 20 degrees over deisel in the same burner

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I'm not missing my Northstar Diesel burner at all. My van stays nice and clean and doesn't smell like a WWII submarine anymore. Hope I get my Dragon sent back to me soon.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Love the heat that my Northstar diesel burner puts out.

But, I do have to find an outlet every job. Usually not a problem. Every house down here usually has one right next to the front door. But sometimes there is not, or it doesn't work, or is far away and I have to run an additional extension.

What are the cons and pros of running a Little Giant?

Thanks.
So let us know what you decide and how it works out for you

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
I ordered my 3hp from Little Giant directly. They had the best price by a few hundred at the time.

rick imby

Name
Rick
This diesel heater is off the Eldiablo, works great. I bought the inverter off amazon for $200, great time saver.

If he is running a slide in most of the motors on them do not put out enough juice to recharge the battery and run the inverter....

Reactions: dgardner

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom