Sealer for VCT?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I have done a ton of VCT work but have never applied sealer before the finish. Is it really beneficial and why?

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
if you buy a quality wax, it is self sealing

the only reason to use a sealer is if the tile is worn or pitted from a rolling chair or other object

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
That's what i understood; sealer was old school and unnecessary. Lately I have had several older customers that totally neglect there VCT then say something like: “The problem is that it was never sealed”

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
thats cuz as said as it is to say...they are iggnorant, and havent been "educated"

i have them to... i feel like slapping them and saying "WELCOME TO THE 21ST CENTURY!!!!! NOW TAKE CARE OF YOUR SHIT!!!"

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
like floorguy said it is necessary but if it is an account you will be maintaining on contract, i would suggest sealing the very first time you strip it. and the first time you strip it strip everything off , if need strip it twice, rinse the hell out of it and throw two coats of sealer before two or three coats of finish and you will see what a good vct job is supposed to look like.

but agian if these are just one time jobs just use a good finish.

sorry picture quality (taken with iphone) but you will get the point.

ace4e307.jpg

dcac1044.jpg

875f861c.jpg

9c67cede.jpg

4ae5eb11.jpg

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I always seal makes a huge difference and is the proper way to do it

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Sealer is only of benefit if the tile is in poor condition. Even then I wonder how much benefit... The main problem with sealer is it is a pain in the ass to remove completely. Sealer is a semi-permanant coating that fills in the low spots and allows your finish to spread evenly. Most floor finishes today level well and are self sealing. This makes most VCT sealers more headache than they're worth in most cases.

That said sealer can improve the look of a worn/damaged floor and one cost of sealer could save a few coats of finish if you're trying to build the same level of gloss. Sealer is a semi-permanant coating that fills in the low spots and allows your finish to spread evenly.That said, you still need a minimum of 3 coats of most floor finishs.

Anyway, if you lay your first coat and want the subsequent coats to level better ( a great way to avoid stripping sealer at a later date)... Let it dry completely & BURNISH THE SNOT OUT OF IT. This will give a nice smooth surface for the next coat to level on & builds the shine from the bottom up.

CleanEvo

I always apply 2 coats of sealer and 3 - 4 coats finish... the finish will bond better, the floor will have a deeper color and the finish will last longer. It's the right way to do it... but if you're charging cheap, you can't do it right.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Thanks for the replies. I am starting to pick up more VCT work and some of the customers actually want it done right and are willing to pay. I plan to start using a sealer and the best finish I can find for the accounts I will be maintaining. I still do a lot of VCT sub work that pays around $.20 a square for full strip and refinish. I have no choice but to use the $10.00 a gallon finish for the low bid work. In fact I am going to start hacking out a 15,000 Sq ft job tomorrow.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
they got a fookin nursery in a hardware store??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

damn they hard core for the dad to have a babysitter huh??

hahahahahahhahahaaha

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom