Scored 300 unit apartment complex

Name
George Valliant
I was high bidder @ $45 for a 2 bedroom and $30 for a 1 Bedroom. I plan to send 1 employee and the trusty vortex to service the account.

Not sure if it's going to work out well. The prices are way too low.

maybe i'm wrong. Has anyone had experience along these lines? Is there money to be made off apartment complexes?

Thanks

Able 1

Name
Keith
No money in them at those prices.. You will lose money! You scored a kick in the nuts! I do 2BR,LR in the slums for $90..

Actually there are guys that will do them for much less then me around here, but they charge extra on EVERY unit for spotting, and they don't prespray..

Apartment complexes are high maintenance and can be a PITA, but a quarter of my work is apts. I just signed up to be on call for about 3,000 units, this year might get interesting.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I just signed up to be on call for about 3,000 units, this year might get interesting.

Holy cow! That's nuts, how did the find you?

Mikey P

Administrator
Can your guy clean a one bed room in 20 minutes?

Will they call you back if he does?

What if he takes an hour?

Do you pay him by the hour or commission?
$5 to $8 of that $30 will be spent on gas if he takes an hour ya know.

Reactions: Jason del Norte

Able 1

Name
Keith
Holy cow! That's nuts, how did the find you?

I have been cleaning for them for about 4 years, but I don't have all of the different properties. I currently do about 900 units for them.. How they found me was I was cleaning on a job and they called and didn't leave a message, so I called them back right away and met with them pulled a little charm, and rattled off ALL of the knowledge I have learned here.

The maintenance guys are on call, and one of them asked last week if I want all of the on call work, and he put me in the computer.. The good thing about it is the water extractions are real easy. Last Saturday I worked for about an hour and I'm charging them $250.

hogjowl

Idiot™
vortex...

heck no George ! lol

vlm ONLY for that price unless a bunch were side by side for easy access ( maybe )

rotary/op and a few pads is all that price should get

That is precisely why I have cleaned my college aged daughters apartment both times she has moved, even though the property company had it "cleaned before hand. I put 8oz of 40 vol in each gallon of prespray and the carpet was foaming all over the place and I got a whole Dyson tank full of black hair off the stair case.

If she'd moved into that place without me cleaning it properly, no telling what shed been living on.

Name
George Valliant
you guys are right! it's absolutely ridiculous... it's about break even after all the bills have been paid.

These are high end unit's too... Unfortunately, there's probably not a large complex in the city that pays more than $55.00 for a 2 bedroom apartment.

VLM is an option but i doubt they would be impressed. I hate working with bottom feeders. Especially, when you know their getting top dollar rent on these units too.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Now is where the fun begins!

Production Cleaning, If ya aint quick you'll lose yur aZz buddy!

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
If its two rooms of rug then yea he has this, if not

Fook n a dude : (. We need ta talk!

Tony Neville

Name
Tony Neville
Wow lets not tear him down too far. I agree that the profit looks thin, but why not approach it as a challenge? Send three guys and the V. 2 men to duel wand and 1 to prep the apts. Maybe 4 or 5 guys with porties? Make it work and make it fun!

tony

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Wow lets not tear him down too far. I agree that the profit looks thin, but why not approach it as a challenge? Send three guys and the V. 2 men to duel wand and 1 to prep the apts. Maybe 4 or 5 guys with porties? Make it work and make it fun!

tony

If he cant rip a unit in under an hour he's fried it. Only way to pull these off would be team work and some red bullz

Name
George Valliant
I'm guessing a 6% vacancy rate. They actually have 280 units for an average of 16 jobs per month.

If 50% two bedroom and 50% one bedroom the average job pays $37.50.

$37.50
x16

i was hoping to make money off water loss but she said on the phone that's never a problem.

My labor cost is about $15 per hour including taxes and accounting fees. I expect him to do 1 unit per hour (some of the buildings are 3 story).

That's 16 hours plus travel time. Let's just call it 20 hours including chatting with management, pickup/return keys and invoicing.
$15 per hour labor
x20 hours
________
$300 total labor

I already figured my overhead cost, including equipment, was about $12.50 per hour based on a 40 hour work week. Let's round that up to $15 per hour to error on the side of caution.
$15 per hour overhead
x20 hours

Add the cost of labor to the cost of overhead:
$300 cost of labor
+$300 cost overhead

Take the gross income and subtract the cost to service the account to figure profit:
$600 gross income from the account
-$600 cost to service the account

Total profit is exactly ZERO.

That's strange!!!! Not a single $1 profit or loss? It looks like my numbers are dead-on accurate. Almost as if someone has ran the numbers before and decided zero profit was their target goal.

but, in this line of work if your not making money your losing money. Only a chump would service apartments at those rates!

Mikey P

Administrator

tony

So he can lose even more money?

Mike Draper

Lets be clear, this complex is certainly not committed to you. You can stop doing work for them anytime you want......now is a good time. Curious, how many hours per year do you put on the truck?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We had a call last week to bid on a complex with 200-300 apts to clean at turn over.

I'm going to have to track down who has that info, this thread makes me think its a waste of time even looking at the property. :neutral:

Mike Draper

I've had a couple places like this call me. I know what htey are looking for when they ask for me to come out and bid. To confirm I ask them over the phone if they are just looking for the cheapest price out there? YES. I politely tell them were dont have the time for their units.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
We had a call last week to bid on a complex with 200-300 apts to clean at turn over.

I'm going to have to track down who has that info, this thread makes me think its a waste of time even looking at the property. :neutral:

That Suks!

My Wife Runs a Student Housing Property.

Death Flips! Don't stop until your done, straight through, 2 12hr shifts unless your a crack head!

Not interested in Marathons myself.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We've done better with student housing on campus but lost a big one when we went up last year. We'd been cleaning it for 5-years and it was a decent account the cleaning was easy but the contents manipulation was a bitch. Killed production times and over all made the job a PITA.

We were making some money but it was a lot of effort and just didn't feel like we were getting the return we should have. Not sure if we will bid on it this year, I think we may just pass this time.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
We've done better with student housing on campus but lost a big one when we went up last year. We'd been cleaning it for 5-years and it was a decent account the cleaning was easy but the contents manipulation was a bitch. Killed production times and over all made the job a PITA.

We were making some money but it was a lot of effort and just didn't feel like we were getting the return we should have. Not sure if we will bid on it this year, I think we may just pass this time.

We have some nice student housing jobs also.

Completely different though, the buildings are empty and we can set it up whenever we want.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Man that would have been nice.

These were four bed apts with common living room and kitchen. Each bed room had (2) beds (2) end tables (2) dressers in the closet and a computer desk set. That's 25 pieces per apartment (:eekk:)and these were heavily built pieces of furniture made to survive the kids.

We told them we could clean for half of what were charging if he didn't have to move the furnishings. But really, there was no where for them to put the furniture. The carpet cleaning was the easiest part, it was well maintained throughout the year.

High end apartments with high rent too. :winky:

$30 for a 1 bedroom apartment? I get $36 for a small hotel room. The best they get is 73+ rooms for $25 per room. If they want just extraction cleaner in the machine, no pre-sparay, no rinse, no nothing, I deduct $4 per room. This is generally a 1 star motel and I just go down the sidewalk. One room after another. 15-20 minutes per room.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom