Pump seals or pressure regulator?

Name
Evets
The water pressure on my mastermatic won't build past 200psi. I've been told the seals may need replacing in the pump,or it could be the pressure regulator.
How can I test to determine exactly which one is the problem.

thanks in advance.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
normally when my pump seals go out I get a small drip under the head of the pump.......

jimn

Hey Steve,

I am not familiar with your particular system but will give it a go.

Is the unlaoder/regulator leaking water? If so, it may need a new seal kit.

Does the water pressure on the gauge drop when you trigger a tool? If it does, the problem is probably in the pump or unlaoder. If it does not, the problem is probably scale build-up within the system not allowing enough flow through to the tool.

Here is a short list of what I would check one at a time as a process of elimination:

1. Check to see if there is an inlet strainer to the pump (it may be located inside the water box). If there is, clean it.
2. Look inside of your outlet quick connect on the front of the unit. Is the nipple on it discolored or does it have a powdery substance on it? If so, descale the unit
3. Pull the valves out of the pump and see if one of them has something stuck in it or if they are worn. Usually if they fall apart when removing them you should just replace them.
4. Pull the head of the pump off and review the seals. If thay are worn, it is usually noticeable and you will see that on or all of the seals are worn out.
5. Visually inspect the pump pistons and look for cracks.

I hope this helps and by all means if you need help, give me a call. :D

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Will it only go to 200...?

If so, it's more likely the regulator.

Does it go to the pressure you want, then drop to 200 when the trigger is pulled?

If so, it's more likely the pump.

If it's the pump, you'll most likely notice that the solution hose is vibrating, especially when you pull the trigger on the wand.

On your system, you have a plunger pump. It could be something as simple as having trash caught in a check valve in the pump, which isn't letting the valve function as it should. Personally, I'd pull the check valves and inspect them for debris and check the conditions of the O-rings around them first. If an O-ring is damaged, it could be like a check valve not working, because the pressure will take the easy way around... through the damaged O-ring, instead of through the valve.

If there's no visible damage to the O-rings and the check valves are in good order, you may need seals for the ceramic plungers.

Name
Evets
I've got to have the pressure.
I'm one of those guys that likes to clean the backing and pad as well as the face fibers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom