Pulling my hair in San Francisco- Trying to find an employee

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
So, again, I put an ad in Craig's list, trying to find an employee.
Two ads one week apart. One in 'Service' the other in 'General Labor'.

Good ad (thank you Damien). Basically if they bother to do the math they can earn $50,000.00 a year pretty quickly, and if they're motivated potentially more.

Results:
  • 7 responses in total. + one that just decided to by pass it all and just contact me direct;y through the web site.

In the ad we give a really "difficult" test to see if they are even remotely capable of following instructions: "<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]-->[FONT=&amp]Send us your resume and contact info in the body of an email (attachments will not be opened!).[/FONT][FONT=&amp] Include a cover note telling us why you think you are a great candidate for this position."
  • On the second ad only one out of four bothered to follow.

Called 5 guys to set up a phone interview. And here we go-Another incredibly "difficult" test: I call the guy, a few niceties and tell him to: "Call this number .....at 9:30 a.m. for a phone interview."
  • Out of 5 only one followed through.
  • In case you're wondering- He was practically catatonic.

Hardly any hair left in my head. My standards must be way too high.

Should I offer the crown jewels if they just bother to respond to the ad?
Is this Bay Area specific?
What other options are there? We did contact some churches (funny for a Jewish guy. But hey, I am a sucker for employment.) - No results.
This has been one of the most demoralizing business experiences in my career. And is not a single time occurrence. Pretty much the same response as all other ads I did in the past.

Did I mention that there's no hairs left on my head to pull?

Is extraterrestrials the only option left?
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Reactions: Lance Golden

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd come work for you but no way am I going to use a fookin portable. Not even for 50K either! :p

Its been tough finding tech's here too. We had what looked like a great candidate last week but he only lasted 4-hours. Didn't like the work. :cry:

What about putting a sign up at the university or community college?

Mikey P

Administrator
I just meet them at a *$ and interview them.

try ofering less money, I think you're scaring them off. Is it a helper you're after or a Tom King to run your biz?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Not sure Richard.

I have not done it in the past because I need someone that can put a full week and does not go back home for a month once the semester is done.
And hopefully a long term employee (dreaming here), as training is very time consuming and slows me down.

As an O/O it is not worth it for me to get someone that will be a short term solution. I need someone who's dependable and can eventually do work on his/her own.

As it is now, I work- Monday afternoon, Tue -through Thu and Fri morning and than heading up home to the Foothills. And making a good income. Still losing quite a few clients due to inability to accommodate some as soon as the want/need.
Really at a loss here as to what to do.

Naturally, if I can't find someone who's decent, I can continue as is and the money is good.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I just meet them at a *$ and interview them.
try ofering less money, I think you're scaring them off. Is it a helper you're after or a Tom King to run your biz?

My first ads did just that. Didn't work either. Exact same kind of responses.
It doesn't say $50,000.00 in the ad. Another "difficult" addition subtraction test :winky:. However, if they bothered to do the math, that's what it will add up to. I almost wish I could hire illegals (not doing it!) as I am sure to find much better people.

I'm not looking for a helper, I am looking for someone that can do his/her own cleaning. Otherwise, though it will help a little, it will not solve the issue of attending more quickly to some clients needs, which currently I can't. Unless I give up on seeing the family altogether.

Tom refused. He wanted either to be paid less money or to buy my business for a week's net gross :winky:.

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ T.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
All I can say is, fookit. This is hard work and we are well paid for it. If you can't find a suitable candidate, just look at what you have and be happy for it. My experience with employees has been miserable but I know there are good ones out there. Finding them and training them is not my forte so I soldier on without them. It works for me but of course I sometimes have to turn business down I cannot get to. In the end I make excellent money and have none of the employee related problems common in our industry.

Reactions: Russ T.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Same boat here buddy. I start them at $15 for helper and if they get good, $20 and up, plus a production bonus system that takes into account happy custys, if they go out on . Put an ad on craigslist, 10 applicants, all duds.I try and teach, try not to get pissed but I want to kill sometimes. The last guy I just put back in the ocean, after a steady client phoned and asked if he had a water heater, claimed it was too heavy and bulky. It weighs 32 pounds. Lost 3 filler hoses, lost stickys, spotting brushes'redos and catch and release was all I had left. He started out quite well and shit the bed after he got comfortable. 5 warnings and yer out. I gotta learn to be more of a prick I guess.15000 post cards sitting that I can't put out.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I think you have to go trolling. Drag the hook through other businesses with good customer service. I ran into a prospect in my Krystal drive through this morning. He smiled and acted happy ..,

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I agree Art and Willy.
Most of my clients are very loyal and would wait for me. However every once in a while I lose a good client. In this time and age, many people want an intant solution to their needs. Very little patience.

It is an unfortunate part of being an O/O and still having a life. And yes, part of doing business. Still, losing some good ones does not feel good.
Some get burned and come back, some never do. Kind of puts self esteem in perspective

Life I guess.

Still haven't learned to like it. Not just yet.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I think you have to go trolling. Drag the hook through other businesses with good customer service. I ran into a prospect in my Krystal drive through this morning. He smiled and acted happy ..,
Yep!
Only hire people who are ALREADY employed. The unemployed are "UN" for a good reason.

and for you haters: Life isn't fair, too bad.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
That may be the best way of all. You have to go looking for them and not expect to find them among the Craig List Killers. Vawter mentioned how he found employees working at the supermarket as baggers and he solicited them, Ken Snow mentioned how Hagopian asks current customers if they know of someone among their family or friends who could work for them and they have good success with that route.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
What are the benefits to working as a carpet cleaner over some other job? It's great for someome that likes to stay in shape. You get immediate gratification from seeing the improvement you can make. You're a hero to a customer every day. The money can be good, the hours can be flexible (since you can fit your customers into the hours a non-40 hour tech can work), and it appeals to people that have great attention to detail. Advertise the job that way.

Also, make each ad a sales pitch for your company as if your customers were the target. Good people like working for top notch companies and a few new customers might come from it.

It's no different for a larger company Ofer, sometimes an ad brings in a wealth of great candidates and sometimes none. No matter how careful you are, hiring as always a bit of a crapshoot.

Good luck!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thanks Bryan.
I did just what you described. No results.

That is..................beside the hair loss :winky:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Did you try any other lead sources?

CL is kinda tricky, seems to be different in every area.
I would try the newspaper, job finder type online.

Its a numbers game to me just like marketing/sales.

Also, are you providing any benefits?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Did you try any other lead sources?

CL is kinda tricky, seems to be different in every area.
I would try the newspaper, job finder type online.

Its a numbers game to me just like marketing/sales.

Also, are you providing any benefits?

Didn't try the paper's "wanted" rout. It seems like nobody's using it any more.

Offered a lot more than just benefits.
Nada.

I'm considering abduction :winky:

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
Having the same problem here ofer. I have been looking since Aug. for a good tech. I also used Damien's script along with setting up the google phone number. Not one person followed the instructions to call the number. They just responded through email. " hey man job still open?" lol Been trying to steal employees from other places in town where we run across someone who might be a good candidate and we have everyone we know on the lookout but nothing.

Reactions: ruff

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Didn't try the paper's "wanted" rout. It seems like nobody's using it any more.

Offered a lot more than just benefits.
Nada.

I'm considering abduction :winky:

Yeah i agree but the newspaper here is connected with monster.com.

Monster usually gets me 50 resumes or more. Worth looking into, this way you have resumes trickling in a little bit everyday.
If you are willing to pay $50k a year for a tech then $500 for recruiting is nothing.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
If I can a good employee $500.00 would be a bargain.
Is monster.com all via the computer or do you actually have a person to talk to?

Anybody else had success with Monster.Com??

Last edited:
F

FB7777

How a bout a " we're hiring! " postcard to your customer base

Couple it with a special off , maybe a special gift if the person hired is through a customer

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Fred, I am hesitant for various reasons to do a broadcast type mailing. However it gave me a good idea.
I'll print the job description and hand it to select clients. As well as email to a few that I think may be able to help.

Thanks.

P.S. What is other folks experience with Monster.Com?
Is the response any different than Craig's list?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Our experience with Monster seemed to indicate that they had no concept of how to find someone that fit our profile. The people they sent us met none of our qualifications, they were just the job seekers that didn't fit any of their other computer tech/clerical/supervisory jobs. We wasted a lot of time interviewing people that weren't intrested.

I'd like to think that Monster would have improved in the five years since we tried them, but we'd have to be a tight spot to give them another chance.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thanks Bryan.

Still recovering from the latest Craig's list induced depression. (CLID :winky:)

Well, I emailed some select clients and will personally give others (when I do a cleaning) a little friendly talk & a sheet with the job description and application for referrals, if they recommend anybody. May or may not work, at least it feels less passive.

We'll see what happens.

Next thing cradle snatching?
I heard it worked great for Richard.

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I had a young guy come to my door the other night, during the ISU game of all times! He was trying to sell me windows and siding. I need neither of those things but I could use a guy like him! I took his number and will keep him in mind as soon as I figure out how to keep someone busy in the Winter!

The Clean Machine

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Guys, tens of millions of small businesses use monster, yahoo jobs, newspaper online to find employees.

You dont need some super special carpet cleaner recruiting method. This is basic...
Of course referrals are best but for those first employees you might have to use some cold methods.

J

JS41035

Ofer.
Sometimes the things we use as markers aren't really good indicators of actual potential talent. Like a customer who finds a penny in a closet and assumes you did a bad job.
I know from experience that my Dads employee is someone I would have definitely passed on. He would have failed all my personality indicators.
But I got swamped and used him last summer. The kid was awesome. Nonstop hustle great quality. Of course a lot of that is how he trains people. But I would have passed on him and missed that opportunity.
I also have a guy that works for me. Big guy. Huge. But works great. I've tried a less rigid approach to hiring. A lot for patience and praise in the training process. That's hard for me because I'm nowhere near as patient as dad. But it has worked

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom