Propane tank regulator and line freezing.

Name
I'm Rick James
What causes this to freeze? I have not had this problem before and the regulator does not have that many hours on it. The tank is a 6.5 gallon belly tank. The temp here is low 40's. Should I turn down the propane output? Its a 3ht LG.

I do not want the brass to freeze and crack spewing out propane which get ignited by the heater and then a big boom.

Thanks

Name
I'm Rick James
Freezing Regulators - Frost on LP Gas Regulator
During normal operation propane regulators can become covered in frost, which may alarm some users. While this "freezing" of the regulator may be a symptom of an actual problem, it usually is a sign that outside humidity is at a level capable of producing condensation. The only difference is, the condensation forming on a regulator is frozen. As described, propane regulators act as a barrier between high tank pressures and delivery pressure as required by downstream appliances and/or equipment.

Once a propane appliance is actively in use, the liquid propane in a tank or cylinder begins to boil. The propane vapor, as boiled off the top of the liquid begins its journey downstream to the point at which it is used. Before making its way to the LP Gas system piping, it passes through the regulator where its pressure is reduced to a usable level. Keep in mind that the regulator will only deliver a constant pressure on the outlet side while inlet pressures can significantly vary. As the propane passes through the regulator, it expands (resulting in sub zero temperatures) and causes the regulator to gradually reach the extremely cold temperature of the propane vapor passing through it. Depending on the temperature and humidity of the surrounding air, the regulator will produce condensation, much like that of a frozen mug or glass taken out of a freezer.

This is why, under normal operation in hot and humid climates, the external surface of a regulator will freeze and appear to be frozen or frosted. The rate at which propane is being withdrawn from the tank or cylinder will also cause the container to display a visible frost line, which indicates the liquid level of the propane within the tank.

Maybe I should of googled first.

Can the brass crack and cause a leak?

Thanks

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
No it won't crack but it can freeze bad enough to blow off propane through the vent.
Is your regulator inside the truck near the heater?

Name
I'm Rick James
KevinD said:
No it won't crack but it can freeze bad enough to blow off propane through the vent.
Is your regulator inside the truck near the heater?

Yeah. I also moved and agitated the propane inside the tank 10 minutes prior to me using it on. Can that cause the issue as well.

Your tank has been over filled with LP , open the bleeder valve untill you see vaper.
Make sure your pilot light is turned off while doing this.

Les

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Leslie Judson Jones said:
Your tank has been over filled with LP , open the bleeder valve untill you see vaper.
Make sure your pilot light is turned off while doing this.

Les

Regulators can ice up in high humid conditions especially if they are undersized no matter how much propane is in the tank.

Chads

Supportive Member
The issue you might have is if your tanks where over filled and they are so full that liquid propane is coming through the vapor side of the tank it will cause lines to freeze and screw up your regulators.

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Ditto all above and make sure you use a 2 stage regulator. You can buy these at any RV store or hardware store.

Name
I'm Rick James
I had it filled and did a 1 1/2 long job. Tank size is 6.5 gallons i think. It freezes the rubber line and regulator and it looks like a concern. They say it "normal". It is a 2 stage regulator. My first job is at 9am tomorrow.

John Watson

No Humidity here in the Beautiful NW, Supposed to be freezing in the AM anyways, Turn your heater all the way up and... Wear your Mittens...... Helen and I are digging out the MukLuks...

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Brent;

A frozen regulator is a dangerous condition.

It can stop regulating, which can cause a fire or worse.

Normally, a two-stage regulator is more resistant to freezing up.

Is it rated for the BTU input capacity of the heater?

Something doesn't sound like it is working properly.

Take it to a Propane dealer that you trust and have them check it out.

Larry

Name
I'm Rick James
Larry Cobb said:
Brent;

A frozen regulator is a dangerous condition.

It can stop regulating, which can cause a fire or worse.

Normally, a two-stage regulator is more resistant to freezing up.

Is it rated for the BTU input capacity of the heater?

Something doesn't sound like it is working properly.

Take it to a Propane dealer that you trust and have them check it out.

Larry

Well thats scary. It is a 2 stage that I bought from Greenie. It never done this before and poof today it did. I will head out on my day in the am and if it freezes over I will not use heat. :shock:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
how long you been using it??

what have the temp ranges been?? humidity??

different place filled it???

vent it like they said..

did you turn up the heat so it "draws" more..

propane gases off...it is filled with liquid then turns to vapor in the left over area of the tank...If it is drawn to fast then it will ice...nothing to major, but then you loose your BTU output, which makes it worse...usually this is only on the tank...I have seen it on my regulators on my buffers, but it was cuz the stupid propane guy went to full, so it is sucking liquid instead of vapor...

The liquid propane volume in any LP Gas container is directly related to its temperature. In fact, the volume of any liquid in any container is directly related to its temperature. Propane volume rises as temperature rises and falls as temperature falls. Being temperature dependent, propane becomes more dense as temperature falls and expands as temperature increases. This is extremely important to remember when understanding propane temperature and volume and the relationship between the two.

Propane exists in its liquid form at or below its boiling point (-44°F) as well as when it stored under pressure. To further explain, if the temperature outside is -45°F, propane will be a liquid and you would be able to pour it out of a bucket. But as soon as the temperature rises to -44°F, the propane begins to boil and thus give off vapor. If the temperature outside is colder than -44°F, propane exists as a liquid. It's still propane but it looks a lot like water while at this cold temperature. It's colorless, odorless and tasteless...but who would take a drink of a any liquid that is 45 degrees below zero? Who would stick their finger in a glass of anything that is 45 degrees below zero? Holding a handful of ice can be quite uncomfortable (or painful) after some time but think how painful it would be if that handful of ice was almost 75 degrees colder.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I'll bet Les is right. Your tank got over filled this time. I had one tank that would do it everytime if it were filled to specs. It was an older 40lb. tank that I had retro fitted with the new auto shut-off. I always told them to stop filling before it was full(don't remember the exact amount anymore) and never had that problem again. Do as Les said and I'll bet the problem is solved.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom