ok now what, no calls, no custy's, no $ coming in

Lonewolf68

I started my business back in July part time and got some work from some of the people I work with at my other job and got a few calls from an ad I put in the local paper but for the last month I have only had one job and I have one scheduled next week. Not good. I have put an ad in the local paper, put flyers on doors, and nothing. I am guessing that the flyer I used is crap but hey live and learn. What can I do to get more business? Is direct mail better? I am on a very limited budget now with no cash flow from my business. Would using someone like Wayne Miller or his CD's help me get some business? As always, thanks for any info, advice and good sarcasm.

Steve

Get out and talk to people. This time of year I would recommend going after commercial accounts.

Steve, give us a call or stop in the chat room

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
to be honest you have 2 strikes against you right out of the starting gate

1)... your new and don't have your name or client base established ........
with in the business that is the most challenging it usually takes a few years to over come this challenge...

and

2)...the economy is shot all to hell and even some of us with good or well established companies are feeling the pinch.........

with that in mind.......what I would do ( if I was still marketing) is set my sites on the real estate companies.....sell them on first impressions and free touch ups.....

they need to sell and you can help them.

I don't throw up to many marketing things any more but if you email me I might have a few post card ideas you can use.................

TimP

I would recommend going to carpet retailers and to any business you can and get your name out with a face. People like to do business with someone they have seen before calling someone out of nowhere. Put out more fliers door hangers etc. Find cleaning businesses like maid services and see if you can get in with them. Get creative and get out there. Although I'm not one to talk since I haven't done that but I do have a carpet store behind me 100% and I get probably 5-10 jobs a month off of them. I have a nice tile cleaning job on Monday cause of them.

Main thing is you need to put a face with your name and get out there and ask for business. Maybe run a special of some sort and create incentives for them.

I wouldn't do direct mail or yellow pages etc. You don't have to spend money just get out there and market yourself and show your knowledge.

Scott

You're the classic case of the "Best Kept Secret in Town". Fix it by becoming the worst kept secret.

In other words, if the phone ain't ringing in, it better be ringing out.

Scott

C

cory kenyon

Go talk to Mark Cermak
Check out www.ocibr.com
Go lowball apts. and property managers (something is better then nothing)
Flyer like theres no tomorrow
Call for contract work for other carpet cleaners, and restoration people
Talk to carpet retailers
Don't be proud and ask family and friends for referrals.
Good luck!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
all good advise.

I'll echo getting out there and introducing yourself to com/retail establishments, prop managers and realty offices.

Malls, video stores, restaurants, doctors, lawyers, butchers, bakers and candlestick makers...

if you have any prop managers you work with now, solicit them for other services like painting, general cleaning, shoveling snow off walks, what ever.
i did most anything to make a buck when i started.
I even hung a barber pole once

You say you're part time, does that mean you have a "real" job?
if so, why sweat the slow times?

..l.t.a.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have been full time for almost a year now and I am rocking. My slowest week was this one(I was on vaca and didn't have anyone answering the phone last week) and it was $1400. What you need to do is THINK make a budget and have a marketing plan in place. The great thing about owner operated is you can change on the fly while learning. What you need to do is send a clear message of who you are and what you do. I am guessing your not a HWE guy so the hill will be a higher climb. If you ever want to chat about how to build give me a call between 9-3 est. I will put you on the right track.

steve r

one thing you can try is find out if you have a bni near you. you can go to 2 meetings free at each location. if they want you to join they will get you work. they did for me and i dont regret joining at all. maybe my best move for my business yet.
ive picked up some nice jobs from the yellow pages too.i ran a leader ad and it barely paid for itself but what i got out of it was several apt. complexes and a restaurant i do every month. now just a $20 ad in one and a $30 ad in another that covers half the county.
i think both of these avenues will depend on your area and some self made luck.
p.s. go downtown somewhere you can walk to a lot of store fronts and walk in and ask about their carpet. who cleans it are they happy with who does it etc. dont go to big retailers check out the little mom n pops if there are any around in your area.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Lots of good advice. The only thing I'd disagree with is Greg's comment that not being a HWE guy is some kind of a disadvantage. lol I don't know what method you use but there's a market for any method. We were bonnet cleaners for 15 years and we always used it to our advantage. Actually, we never really mentioned method, we focused on benefits and results. Besides, it's a people business. When you connect on a personal level you'll make a customer for life.

The challenge now is that you're coming up into the slow season. I'm a big fan of direct mail but people aren't thinking about carpet cleaning after Christmas. If you have limited resources I wouldn't put it into direct mail until the middle or end March. Commercial work is what often carries you through January and February. It's never too late to start looking for it. I'd make that a major focus.

Now is a good time to cultivate relationships with property managers, carpet stores, interior designers, veterinarians, anyone who can refer you. Introduce yourself to local assisted living facilities. If you're low moisture you have an advantage. You can clean anytime, night or day, with a minimum of disruption.

Postcards are relatively cheap. Put a handful on the bulletin boards of condominium complexes. Take a stack into local businesses and leave them as a "special offer" for their employees. You have time on your hands, look for creative ways to present your services anywhere you can.

Just don't wait for work to find you.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
well Wayne, whatever
if you think selling a spinner is equal to selling a vortex you are in lala land. You have established experience and I billed only 150,000 in my first year fulltime 50% coming since october so I guess you know how to build a business and I don't. So just toss my advice out and I am wrong even though I own and promoted all other brands

Meant to say since sept

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
oh wait I own all my stuff and owe no one nothing. Why listen to me

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Damn Greg Don't take it so personal. I agree with Wayne your method is not a hindrance only your marketing ability is a hindrance. After all look at Chem-dry, being low moisture did not stop them from being successful, hell crappy cleaning didn't even stop them from being successful. :?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
wait chemdry has millions to spend on marketing I am sure this guy doesn't. I have spent a ton on maketing different methods and the only one to pan out has been my HWE. I am not without experience in this

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I am actually promoting my dry carpet cleaning next month but it is a lot eaisier promoing the apex and 250 degrees and super suction and anyone who tells you different sells ads somewhere

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Good Lord, Greg, all I said is not using HWE isn't a disadvantage and that it worked well for us. My experience was different than yours. Congratulations on your success and kudos for your choice of equipment.

Kelly

my one friend knocked on alot of doors and hung a lot of fliers in the neighborhoods where he wanted to work, then my friend told all of his church members. And knocked on a lot more doors...putting his face and his name in the public eye. and now he is pretty successful.

steve r

sell yourself not your equipment. and as far as bni goes you can go twice for free to each location you dont have to join. the group im with now gave me two jobs at my first visit. they wanted me to join so they helped me. if you join its not cheap but the rewards have been phenomenal for me.
again go to small businesses, mom n pop stuff. dont charge an arm and leg most wont be that big.

John G

Good grief Greg, think about it, 80% or so of all cleaning is HWE so 80% of the people out there that are UNHAPPY with HWE are looking for something different.

It isn't about better or worse, THIS is about marketing.

The Preacher

GReg reminds me of another Boston cleaner who has that northeastern "edge" to him. me thinks it's too much caffeine and not enough nookie!!! :shock:

Name
steve snail
Drs., CPA's, Dentists. will all be on vacation during Christmas / New Years weeks! They have cleaning needs, and money, now is the time!

A clean uniform and an estimate sheet is all you need. Now just pick the area you want to work.

Don't forget the reception area furniture & protector.

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
Steven,

all of the above ideas are great for marketing your business. I would do all of them. Now let me give you some different advice. Do whatever it takes to make it through the first two years. Throw a paper in the morning, clean a restaurant in the wee hours, stock shelves at the local grocery store. Do whatever it takes. The lifestyle this business can afford you is truly fantastic, but you have to survive up front to enjoy what comes later.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Pass out fliers,playing down the limitations of your method and exaggerating the dangers of steam cleaning carpets. Use terms like mold, squish, soak, shrink, may take days to dry. Partner up with steam extraction companies and offer to do interm cleaning of their commercial accounts (the best use of your method). Good luck and hang in there.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I agree with Jeffy Madsen about doing anything to put food on your table to survive.

Endeavor to persevere.

I got a call from putting some business cards on a chemdry display at HD.

Got two jobs from putting my cards on the bank's drive thru slot.

Got one job from putting my card on a 7-11 gas pump.

Name
steve snail
Jeff nailed it. Do what ever you have to do! A part-time job anything to get you through the fist couple of years. Persevere and it will pay off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom