My urine damage letter for Landlords.

Mikey P

Administrator
Concerning the subject of pet urine damage in residential carpet.

It is my opinion, that when a tenant who has let their pet (‘s) use the carpet as a toilet, that they be held responsible for the replacement of the carpet, pad and potentially the sub flooring.

Traditional residential pile or Loop pile carpet in any of the fiber types available, can be permanently damaged by an excess of pet urine in a variety of ways.

First off, discoloration is almost always apparent in some way. Damage to the color will be more likely if the urine was not cleaned up immediately, properly and thoroughly, utilizing a professional deodorizing product. If the pet was on medication or ate a diet of low grade pet food (often containing strong red food dyes), the chance of color loss or change is even more likely.
In my seventeen years of experience, I have yet to find a product that completely, 100%, removes strong, imbedded, urine odor. Over cleaning or saturation of any deodorizing product (needed to deodorize below the carpet’s surface) can cause a delamination of the carpet’s backing. It can also negatively affect the texture of the carpet’s pile
Secondly, traditional carpet cushion is permanently damaged by odors and germs when exposed to urine. Carpet Pad, being a sponge, cannot be rinsed or successfully deodorized, and would always need to be replaced.
Thirdly, wood or concrete sub-flooring is usually affected when there are larger pets involved or the same area is urinated on repetitively. In most cases the sub floor will need to be cleaned, sanded and sealed with a thick Marine type varnish to lock in the odors.

Some homeowners choose to clean and deodorize the carpet, treat the stains, replace the padding and seal the sub floor. This type of work is not only time and labor intensive, but it can also cost almost as much as new carpet, when all is said and done. This work is sometimes justified if the carpet is in otherwise good condition and pets will remain in the home. The inconvenience of installation occasionally makes this a more appealing choice. The owner needs to realize that the odors will still be noticeable to a cat or dog’s highly sensitive nose and further damage is likely to happen as pets “markâ€Â

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom