Multiple urls / landing pages?

Name
Evets
Do you guys have more than one website? To be more specific, do you have urls that are directed to landing pages for the different services that you offer?
Example: carpetcleaning(your area).com
tilecleaning (your area).com

You know, in addition to your main billybobscleaning.com website.

Is google cool with it? Just hearing some conflicting opinions.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
This is sort of a loaded question...

Keywords in the domain/url as whole have some factor in the big picture of ranking and relevancy. Whether with search results or PPC. The issue is most people screw it up or you found the domain for cheap because someone let it go. The question becomes did they screw it up while they had the domain, got hit by an update, and let the domain go. You have to be careful because a lot of SEO companies do what's called churn and burn with domains. They buy them for the purposes of manipulating the search results and eventually get hit and they dump them after 12-24 months. It doesn't mean you're screwed if you picked up the domain and want to use it but your approach needs to change to gain some reputation and trust back. That could result in a slower battle.

For PPC I sometimes use sub domains. So lets say I create a landing page about carpet cleaning in Atlanta, then my subdomain is atlanta.billybobscleaning.com and it is really loading the billybobscleaning.com/carpet-cleaning-atlanta page. Here's a hint - a lot of people aren't searching "carpet cleaning city" anymore so it just makes more sense to make sure you have relevancy to carpet cleaning in the URL. There may be some advantage to having carpet cleaning first using a sub domain such as carpet-cleaning.billybobscleaning.com to improve relevancy and ad score. Some of that also depends on your content and how well the landing page converts as well. You just have to test and adjust.

You could forward those types of domains you mentioned to your main domain in the event someone types it in but you'd be better to concentrate on what people are searching using voice search. It's growing and it'll be huge in 2-3 years I'm guessing.

I tell people to concentrate on building their brand for the main reason that if you search for "carpet cleaning" or "carpet cleaning city state" and look at the bottom for other search terms, you're seeing a lot more brand names show up there and I only suspect that is going to rise as time goes on.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Marty version:

Multiple domains can be good if you use them right, but I recommend just focusing on building your brand's strength. It has better long term benefits.

People are speaking into their phone, tablet, or devices like Alexa. This type of searching has increased exponentially(that means a lot, Marty) and as more of those devices come out it will increase. You should be aware of that if you're targeting exact match keywords while doing Google Adwords / Pay Per Click campaigns.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom