Lisa Wagner, if you have a minute

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Mikey P said:
Seeing how you are not out in the field I dont think you understand that tons rug owners just dont want the hassle of sending out a rug that "just aint that dirty" or "I hardly paid anything for that ol' thing" in their eyes.

It would be like trying to convince them to let me lift up their wall to wall and take it back to the plant.

Most people just want their cheap rugs to look better...

Sending them out involves making appointments to pick up, deliver, or drop off and pick up, many duel incomers are too busy for all that.

Just relaying what I see and hear daily.

He is absolutely right.

I guess from a purist point of view the plant will be better.
In reality Mike is right. Refusing to do it or location or insisting on in plant cleaning alone, may open the door for them using someone else that will be delighted to do it

It can be done reasonably well on location, as long as it is explained clearly to the client that it is a compromise cleaning. Which is what I do and people are absolutely fine with that.

We are there to provide a service and solutions to their needs.

Ron K

The position of most in-homers is "I can do just as good as any in-plant cleaner for cheaper. I agree because a lot of in plant, and more everyday
with the great training out there, in plant"garage cleaners" do a less than average job. They think they can and are told by many a "Teacher" just do an add on service and make tons of money. They would make much more with a pump up and some Teflon.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I remember while at Bane Clene's school in Indianapolis, high end rug stores would drop rugs off at their Keystone Ave plant to be cleaned. Regular Bane TM on the shop floor.

John Watson

rhyde said:
As far as the “rug Fag” term it doesn’t bother me.

Good thing I met your wife and kid or I'd be a wondering, wait a minute, maybe your one of those that goes all ways type of people???? Hmmmmm this is another one of those ass scratching questions.. Hmmm

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Mikey P said:
Seeing how you are not out in the field I dont think you understand that tons rug owners just dont want the hassle of sending out a rug that "just aint that dirty" or "I hardly paid anything for that ol' thing" in their eyes.

It would be like trying to convince them to let me lift up their wall to wall and take it back to the plant.

Most people just want their cheap rugs to look better...

Sending them out involves making appointments to pick up, deliver, or drop off and pick up, many duel incomers are too busy for all that.

Just relaying what I see and hear daily.

So why not just refer rugs to someone who actually can do a better job? Then you are not cutting down on your quality just to make a buck - or half a buck.

I think it comes down to education and marketing. If you can communicate the reasons why doing the work outside of the home is a night and day difference, people who care about "clean" will be on board. And if they aren't, then perhaps they are not the right type of clients to target.

But if you get no satisfaction from doing the job right, then it makes no sense at all to even do them. Just refer them to a rug fag and get a 10% referral reward - then at least the work gets done in the best way, and you get money without having to get your feet wet.

Lisa

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Try again Ms Wagner... :oops:

"That was NOT even close.!"

VERY POOR...effort on your part... :cry:

If you are NOT going to offer BETTER advice...?
Please SUB...your answers... OUT to someone who is willing to DO IT RIGHT... :idea:

OR.......Reffer your ResPonSe'S to a PROFFESSIONAL..."Like ME"....for 10%.... :mrgreen:

rhyde

Name
rhyde
John Watson said:
Good thing I met your wife and kid or I'd be a wondering, wait a minute, maybe your one of those that goes all ways type of people???? Hmmmmm this is another one of those ass scratching questions.. Hmmm [/size][/color][/b]

Watson have you been hitting the bottle already!

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I don't know what Mike gets up there, but down here I did in home rug cleaning a lot. I live in a blue collar senior community. I got TONS of those 1980's cheap Chinese machine made, cloth backed rugs that had been bought used from garage and estate sales. Most of them were rugs they picked up for between $10-50. Most are worn, stained, and they would ask me to just spruce it up. There is no way in hell they would pay for an in-plant cleaning. So I would do them in the driveway or back patio with the wand, charge them a nominal amount and they would be happy. I had one lady that would hunt all over for the dark green and cream ones, with the floral pattern in the center, she had about 25 of them and used them to protect her cheap polyester carpet. She always tried to get me to throw in the rugs for free...lol.

Good rugs we always referred to rug plants, Lisa's and another one in Temecula, never knew if they actually called the rug plants or not, or just had the next cleaner do them.

Take care,
Lisa

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Doing something poorly because you can get away with it is the very definition of a hack. Isn't that what guys say when they scrub and run apartments?... "brighten up" (bleach out) carpet with oxidizers?... have customers sign waivers because they don't know what they're doing? No question, hacks get away with a lot.

The concept of cleaning a tufted rug in home by vacuuming both sides and laying it on plastic to clean is OK; if it ever actually happened. The time and trouble to do all of this would push the price out of hack territory. Guilty conscience hack may be plausible but conscientious hack is an oxymoron.

Mikey P

Administrator
Am I cleaning the wall to wall "poorly" with the same method?

If anything the rug is getting a better clean because I vacuum the back

Mikey P

Administrator
HARPER said:
Try again Ms Wagner... :oops:

"That was NOT even close.!"

VERY POOR...effort on your part... :cry:

If you are NOT going to offer BETTER advice...?
Please SUB...your answers... OUT to someone who is willing to DO IT RIGHT... :idea:

OR.......Reffer your ResPonSe'S to a PROFFESSIONAL..."Like ME"....for 10%.... :mrgreen:

I actually laughed out loud for that one.. :lol:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The Great Oz said:
Doing something poorly because you can get away with it is the very definition of a hack. Isn't that what guys say when they scrub and run apartments?... "brighten up" (bleach out) carpet with oxidizers?... have customers sign waivers because they don't know what they're doing? No question, hacks get away with a lot.

The concept of cleaning a tufted rug in home by vacuuming both sides and laying it on plastic to clean is OK; if it ever actually happened. The time and trouble to do all of this would push the price out of hack territory. Guilty conscience hack may be plausible but conscientious hack is an oxymoron.

Not listening to what the client actually wants.
After explaining to them honestly and very clearly, what they are getting, advantages versus disadvantages.
And giving them the options of on location and in plant.

Just may be the definition of a business owner who is so enamored with his own ideas, that he may no longer have the ability to listen or respect what his client needs, wants or can afford.
It may also constitute a little disrespect for the clients' intelligence, mixed with a flavorful dash of condescending for good measure.

But then again, what do we know about being hacks?
Don't know much about oxys or mormons either. :p
I may have to check wiki leaks on that one.

Or did the government take those hacks out of business?

Mikey P

Administrator
half the time I get into my Fag Mode and start explaining warps and wefts and pit washes and blocking and..."Mike just clean the ******* rug like you do the bed rooms and it will be fine, lock the door when you leave..."

They dont even want to think about moving the coffee table off of it let alone rolling it up and sweeping up all that damn corn meal off the floor.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Don't know much about oxys either.

it's a trendy de jour fashion with many here, Ofer .
Spike the chit out of juice with scads of Sally's 40 vol peroxide or sodium perc .
It is indeed useful in "some" situations , but some guys use it everyday .
Some popular pre-sprays touted here are loaded with oxidizers too

I wouldn't go as far as to call it "smoke and mirror" parlor trick to make otherwise weak pre-sprays seem better/more effective ...but oxy's really aren't "cleaners" per say ..but they will make a poorly cleaned carpet hacked out look brighter ...especially the lighter colored carpet

..L.T.A.

Ron K

I have to get to a class. They are now teaching how to vacuum the back while leaving the table in place.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Ofer Kolton said:
[quote="The Great Oz":1i8xfw72]Doing something poorly because you can get away with it is the very definition of a hack. Isn't that what guys say when they scrub and run apartments?... "brighten up" (bleach out) carpet with oxidizers?... have customers sign waivers because they don't know what they're doing? No question, hacks get away with a lot.

Not listening to what the client actually wants.
After explaining to them honestly and very clearly, what they are getting, advantages versus disadvantages.
And giving them the options of on location and in plant.

Just may be the definition of a business owner who is so enamored with his own ideas, that he may no longer have the ability to listen or respect what his client needs, wants or can afford.
It may also constitute a little disrespect for the clients' intelligence, mixed with a flavorful dash of condescending for good measure.

But then again, what do we know about being hacks?
Don't know much about oxys or mormons either. :p
I may have to check wiki leaks on that one.

Or did the government take those hacks out of business?[/quote:1i8xfw72]

Exactly. Blue collar retirees living on social security aren't ever going to take a garage sale rug to a rug shop and have it cleaned "correctly". Those old farts lived through the depression.

Now the boomers, the DINK's, the white collar retireds....they might.

Take care,
Lisa

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I remember talking to Greenie on the phone ordering glides years ago He was telling I should go ultra high flow jets on my wand for rug cleaning. I didn't have the heart to tell him we use 3/4 inch water lines with hoses ends cut off often two to a rug he seemed too happy to share his advice for me to intraject

If we lived in a perfect world all rugs would be washed well and cheaply, gas would a nickle a gallon, we would have a 2 day work week with 5 days off.

Reactions: SamIam

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
rhyde said:
I remember talking to Greenie on the phone ordering glides years ago He was telling I should go ultra high flow jets on my wand for rug cleaning. I didn't have the heart to tell him we use 3/4 inch water lines with hoses ends cut off often two to a rug he seemed too happy to share his advice for me to intraject

ROFLMAO!!!! That's Jeff!

Take care,
Lisa

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
We do clean probably 50 - 100 rugs a week in customers homes, and in fact I cleaned 4 of my own Saturday while I cleaned my carpet. Do we let them know they are getting a lessor cleaning than we could do in our shop? You betcha as I knew myself.

We will not leave money on the table though and if they insist on having it cleaned in the home we will do it so that someone else doesn't.

John Watson

Ken Snow said:
We do clean probably 50 - 100 rugs a week in customers homes, and in fact I cleaned 4 of my own Saturday while I cleaned my carpet. Do we let them know they are getting a lessor cleaning than we could do in our shop? You betcha as I knew myself.

We will not leave money on the table though and if they insist on having it cleaned in the home we will do it so that someone else doesn't.
Kenny, I think you said it all, If some of these dildo heads could understand what you said It wouldn't be such a flippen contraversy.. Thanks

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The concept of cleaning a tufted rug in home by vacuuming both sides and laying it on plastic to clean is OK; if it ever actually happened. The time and trouble to do all of this would push the price out of hack territory.

I'm not against cleaning certain rugs on-location, I'd just like to cut the excuses.

If (as everyone here says) you're letting your customer know what they're getting, great! Just like the notion of thoughtful and loving on-location rug cleaning above, I'm not naive enough to believe that conversation actually happens much. From the implication of this thread, I'd guess that lots of customers are being incorrectly "educated" that in-plant cleaning is a rip-off and the results of a "quick touch up" is what they can expect.

You have a responsibility to know your profession, and a responsibility to educate your customers. This doesn't mean you have to be a snob and refuse to use some common sense, but it does mean you should have a slightly higher sense of business ethics than just grabbing the cash.

Did I make it clear that I'm not against cleaning some rugs on-location? :p

Bob Foster

The Great Oz said:
The concept of cleaning a tufted rug in home by vacuuming both sides and laying it on plastic to clean is OK; if it ever actually happened. The time and trouble to do all of this would push the price out of hack territory.

I'm not against cleaning certain rugs on-location, I'd just like to cut the excuses.

If (as everyone here says) you're letting your customer know what they're getting, great! Just like the notion of thoughtful and loving on-location rug cleaning above, I'm not naive enough to believe that conversation actually happens much. From the implication of this thread, I'd guess that lots of customers are being incorrectly "educated" that in-plant cleaning is a rip-off and the results of a "quick touch up" is what they can expect.

You have a responsibility to know your profession, and a responsibility to educate your customers. This doesn't mean you have to be a snob and refuse to use some common sense, but it does mean you should have a slightly higher sense of business ethics than just grabbing the cash.

Did I make it clear that I'm not against cleaning some rugs on-location?

Karma is going to get you for saying that. Tomorrow you will fall into the Mor wringer.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom