Lead Tech pay

Kipp

Name
kip
I have no idea if this guy will work long term, He does fill a need for me right now so as long as I avoid creating a position that would be a massive void if he left I should be okay...I'm hoping he does though I really like the guy.

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
he relocated from another stateper and time. The principle

I have a non compete... I know they don't stop people from working elsewhere or even starting his own biz but if he went directly after my clients I would have a case.

No you wouldn't. A non compete is an utter waste of paper and time. The principle reasoning being you can't stop someone from working in a free market. It sucks, but it is what it is. I've been screwed before believing that but a lawyer set me straight.

Kipp

Name
kip
No you wouldn't. A non compete is an utter waste of paper and time. The principle reasoning being you can't stop someone from working in a free market. It sucks, but it is what it is. I've been screwed before believing that but a lawyer set me straight.
That's what I said I know they won't stop them from working somewhere else or even starting their own biz however they will hold up if they target your customers specifically.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
The cost of having an attorney represnt you in this case is? He fills a need now so use him. Don't loan him any money.

Kipp

Name
kip
The cost of having an attorney represnt you in this case is? He fills a need now so use him. Don't loan him any money.
I have a good attorney friend who would help
me. I'm only talking about a blatant case where someone stole a customer list... If someone just went out and marketed in my area I wouldn't bother.

Agreed I don't loan any employees money...the furthest I go is give them their paycheck early for time they have already worked

Last edited:

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I agree with others here, guys like that won't make it long term. There is a reason he is not someone else's superstar. I have heard the story too many times that the person just moved into town. It's been my experience that its more likely they got run out of the last town they were in. And I certainly have learned this from the school of hard knocks.

I also understand your need to get someone trained in and on the road. I have run smaller companies that were desperate for help and someone like this would have been a real find for me.

That's where 2 man crews will help. Once you get the guy that he is training on his own truck, get assistants for both trucks. When you hire those new assistants, you now you have the luxury to be able to get people with no experience. These new assistants (and maybe your crew leader in training) will more likely be the core of your business, not your superstar guy. Use the experienced guy as long as you can but always with an assistant in training. This will keep you from being held hostage by him when things begin to go bad. Don't get caught up in a situation where you need him more then he needs you!!

When I started with Hagopian, our MOST experienced crew leader had been with us for 9 years. 24 years later, our LEAST experienced crew leader has been here for more then 10 years. I also have more then 20 assistants that can take out a route by themselves on a moments notice. I have made lots of mistakes in hiring over the years. Having 2 man crews (crew leader with a crew leader in training) I had the ability to get rid of someone when I had to and not have a major impact on business.

I remember one year going into our slow season, I got rid of 6 people all at once. This were both helpers that were never going to be crew leader material as well as 2 crew leaders that were causing me headaches every day. One of the best and most refreshing moves I have ever made. Sure I had a lot of shoes to fill but I was able to do that because I had trained people who could step in without missing a beat.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I would trust Brian's advice, he has the experience to back his opinions.
He is both an operations and numbers guy, one of the sharpest minds we have here.

An all a round nice guy....unless you work for him! :winky:

Reactions: Russ T.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I agree with others here, guys like that won't make it long term. There is a reason he is not someone else's superstar. I have heard the story too many times that the person just moved into town. It's been my experience that its more likely they got run out of the last town they were in. And I certainly have learned this from the school of hard knocks.

I also understand your need to get someone trained in and on the road. I have run smaller companies that were desperate for help and someone like this would have been a real find for me.

That's where 2 man crews will help. Once you get the guy that he is training on his own truck, get assistants for both trucks. When you hire those new assistants, you now you have the luxury to be able to get people with no experience. These new assistants (and maybe your crew leader in training) will more likely be the core of your business, not your superstar guy. Use the experienced guy as long as you can but always with an assistant in training. This will keep you from being held hostage by him when things begin to go bad. Don't get caught up in a situation where you need him more then he needs you!!

When I started with Hagopian, our MOST experienced crew leader had been with us for 9 years. 24 years later, our LEAST experienced crew leader has been here for more then 10 years. I also have more then 20 assistants that can take out a route by themselves on a moments notice. I have made lots of mistakes in hiring over the years. Having 2 man crews (crew leader with a crew leader in training) I had the ability to get rid of someone when I had to and not have a major impact on business.

I remember one year going into our slow season, I got rid of 6 people all at once. This were both helpers that were never going to be crew leader material as well as 2 crew leaders that were causing me headaches every day. One of the best and most refreshing moves I have ever made. Sure I had a lot of shoes to fill but I was able to do that because I had trained people who could step in without missing a beat.

GOLD!

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I would trust Brian's advice, he has the experience to back his opinions.
He is both an operations and numbers guy, one of the sharpest minds we have here.

An all a round nice guy....unless you work for him! :winky:

I learn from my mistakes and believe me when it comes to hiring I have made lots of them!! The biggest lesson I learned is not to hang onto someone you know is not working out. Even when it hurts, get rid of them. In the long run you will be miles ahead.

Follow the rules and care about your customers and you will always have a job here!!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Ohh Brian...hire me! now you know it would hav'ta be a desk job since i can't stand up more than a minute or two.....i'm really good at sealin' the deal with little old ladys...(they can't resist my charm)
however i would need to have a break at 10:00AM as that's when "Let's Make a Deal" is on...then work from 11:00AM till lunch at noon......my soap comes on at 12:30PM so i would be back at the desk by 1:30 sharp........i would have to leave early.....cuz Woodward Ave gets bad around 4:00PM 'sides that's when Judge Judy comes on.........so i would have ta leave by 3:30PM........
I know this all sounds too good to be true....so i'll be here by my phone waiting for your call........but don't call between 4 and 5 cuz i REALLY hate to miss Judge Judy...she's a hoot!

Kipp

Name
kip

Thanks for the feedback Brian, I appreciate it. I agree 9.9 times out of ten a superstar hire is to good to be true...so the odds are against me at this point. My situation has me handcuffed a bit right now since I'm not as hands on as I would like, especially during the initial growth phases of the company. I'm balancing this with a partnership at a RV dealership and assisting my wife with her clothing store (just with marketing and admin related items nothing hands on). So I'm spread pretty thin right now. Years ago I ran a major RV dealership with close to a couple hundred employees...hiring sales people and RV techs was the same thing. "Home grown" was always the better way. We believed that so much in fact that we had our own in house training school for both. "Experienced" sales and techs always had baggage they brought with them and within a few months many were doing more damage than help.

The challenge is getting from here to there. The answer would be different if I could drop everything and be more hands on in the field. I would personally get on the truck and train each tech myself. Since I can't do that right now I am hoping this is the next best thing. Time will tell, he's a great guy and maybe I just got lucky....

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Thanks for the feedback Brian, I appreciate it. I agree 9.9 times out of ten a superstar hire is to good to be true...so the odds are against me at this point. My situation has me handcuffed a bit right now since I'm not as hands on as I would like, especially during the initial growth phases of the company. I'm balancing this with a partnership at a RV dealership and assisting my wife with her clothing store (just with marketing and admin related items nothing hands on). So I'm spread pretty thin right now. Years ago I ran a major RV dealership with close to a couple hundred employees...hiring sales people and RV techs was the same thing. "Home grown" was always the better way. We believed that so much in fact that we had our own in house training school for both. "Experienced" sales and techs always had baggage they brought with them and within a few months many were doing more damage than help.

The challenge is getting from here to there. The answer would be different if I could drop everything and be more hands on in the field. I would personally get on the truck and train each tech myself. Since I can't do that right now I am hoping this is the next best thing. Time will tell, he's a great guy and maybe I just got lucky....

Well thats the thing kipp, you deal with him everyday and have a read on him by now.

We only have a vague description of a hot shot from out of town. Which everyone agrees usually spells trouble.
But we dont know the details and maybe he has a legitimate reason for moving.

Reactions: Russ T.

Kipp

Name
kip
Well thats the thing kipp, you deal with him everyday and have a read on him by now.

We only have a vague description of a hot shot from out of town. Which everyone agrees usually spells trouble.
But we dont know the details and maybe he has a legitimate reason for moving.
Heck I'm a pretty good judge but even I don't know till we get some more time under our belt. My question was more about compensation than taking bets on whether he'll last or not...

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Heck I'm a pretty good judge but even I don't know till we get some more time under our belt. My question was more about compensation than taking bets on whether he'll last or not...
:eek:)

Your figures work out, so I think you don't need our help with the tech pay question.

We don't look for experience either, but have hit on a few that have been extremely loyal due to that previous less than great experience.

One of my friends with a three-man team said he didn't know how much he didn't know until "the hotshot from out of town" showed him how much better his business could run. The hotshot lasted three years until his wife was transferred again. So, although there are plenty of negatives, it seems like this is a horse you want to ride. If ultimately things don't work out you'll both move on.

Back
Top Bottom