K&N Filter

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Anyone put one of these on their truckmount? My maxx470 has an external canister type of air filter that costs me about 20.00 a month replacing the thing. I'm pretty sure I an spend 240.00 a year in another fashion.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
WOW! That's a lot of air filters, why so often? Mine hardly ever needs replacing. The last one went 1500 hours and it was still not very dirty. These things run in a really clean enviroment as appose to a lawn mower.

ascrubabove

sounds like you are changing that air filter way too often, if it needs changed that fast you may have other problems like exhaust leaks causing the filter to get dirty fast

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
I also change my oil too much, whats wrong with a clean running machine? 1500 hours is grossly negligent IMHO.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I change the oil regularly, but the air filter, even in my old Big Red which had a canister style filter, rarely needed changing. I put a vacuum gauge on the Red's filter to tell me when to replace it, suggested by the diesel engine shop where I had it serviced. Nothing wrong with replacing it that often if you like spending the money, but that's like replacing your oil filter each month between oil changes, or cleaning your inline filter every 10 min while cleaning. Doesn't hurt, but really doesn't need that frequency.

MerCrewser

My filter on my 405 is going on 8 years lol. You really don't need an air filter in this app, much like a marine engine doesn't need one either.

Go for the k&N. Auto parts store will match one up for you.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
I have them on two of my TM's, but not to save $

Unless you keep a TM to about 9000 to 10,000 hrs, you won't save a nickel unless your time is free and you can get the cleaner and oil free.

And - don't drink the kool-aide - k&n's don't filter as good.

The reason I have k&n's on the 2 tm's is they are older carb'd tm's that have a lot of oil blowback, and paper elements end up with too much oil in them very quickly and start to restrict airflow after 300-400 hrs, the k&n's go 600 hrs before I have to clean them, and I do have a foam element around them.

If you ultimate goal is to keep your bottom end cleaner - stay oem manufacturer paper. Get a universal airbox vacuum sensor Ron suggested, and change it when the guage says it's time to. A brand new paper element vs a 75% used paper element that looks real dirty won't let any more dirt through, nor will it restrict airflow to a degree it will affect anything on an engine - the only thing you need to change an air filter for is airflow restriction, which the vacuum gauge will tell you by measure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom