Joe Polish HATES trees!!!!!!!

FredC

Village Idiot
Got this in the mail today. Didn't read it but I can only assume they are suggesting that we do something similar. Anybody have luck sending your customers posters?

Joe_Polish_HATES_trees.jpg

and talk about milking an idea...............

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
I have sent a few rounds.

Kept the copy pretty well the same but toned down a lot of the negativity. Also totally changed the offers.

Worked good, but doesn't really fit with what I'm trying to do now. The huge size is obviously hard to miss and all comments I received on them were positive.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Can't argue with someone that successful but am surprised he hasn't heard of email yet.

Better have nice job tickets too, 3 room for $89 aint gonna cut it at that cost.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Can't argue with someone that successful but am surprised he hasn't heard of email yet.

Better have nice job tickets too, 3 room for $89 aint gonna cut it at that cost.

I totally agree with you, but did you know you can send that poster for .55 per piece?

Seemed like a great value to me, but I'm also not currently doing it, whatever that tells you.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Pay easily .10 to print and .175 to mail for a 6.5x9 piece. So .55 per piece for WAY more than double the area seemed like a go.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
You go first ... :winky:

Who's that? Me?

I literally have nothing much to say.

Yes, I think it is actually a good value. Yes, I am no longer doing it.

From small batches I got like a 3 to 1 roi with a $170 average invoice.

Doesn't work with what I'm shifting my focus to.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I love EDDM. Yes at .27 it can appear a little pricy but you pick the neighborhoods so it is a target rich environment. I'd showcase more than just carpet cleaning. Its a good time to let prospects know all you do.
I'd also have a compelling offer. You go to that much trouble, why not increase your odds by giving them a reason to call.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Holy Shit, my name is actually on that piece. Talk about a surreal moment! I had no idea.

Will have to look back at #s but I will stand by anything I said.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
7 to 1 + referrals?

How does it not fit now?

Very small sample size.

I am in a small community and am doing whatever it takes for as long as it takes to build a 175k per truck business with a sub 10% advertising margin. It's just not a good fit for me although it did work well.

I don't know how I'm coming off, but I will provide you every statistic I have once I get home to QB.

Ask any questions you want about about that piece or Pirahna in general. I promise to answer honestly even if it makes me look like a jack ass.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
I worry about it a bit, but then I really think about it and realize I don't much give an S.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
It was 3:1 or maybe 7:1 or maybe 20?

:dejection:

Or maybe it was just a total waste of money...

Dude, just ask what you want to ask. I don't think either one of us wants to waste time playing the passive agressive game.

The campaign in question was only 200 pieces. Cost about $110. I booked 4 jobs with a job average of $170 if memory serves. Also got two immediate referrals.

I dont expect many other people will get a 2% response rate though. Like I said, my market is small and I don't have much, if any, local direct mail to compete with for attention.

If you'd like I could give you results to the thousandth of a penny next time I'm at my computer.

Last edited:

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Art/Joel you said you sent a few rounds. Were all drops the same size piece or did you vary the shape?

Most of mine were the big piece, seemed like a better value at .55 than the small piece at .35.

One other thing that supposedly improves response is that if you use Pirahna's printing partner to send these out your not technically using EDDM. They use bulk mailing that is actually addressed to the recepient and references the family's last name in the headline.

Bad thing is with it being bulk mail you have like a 3 week (or longer) delivery window, so it's harder to get timing right.

Again, to be clear, I did deal with some drawbacks in doing this, to the point where I'm not doing it anymore, but it can work well.

FredC

Village Idiot
Derek I don't really think its about you.........

just the fact that the claims made on the piece are questionable.

Think about it for a second............you are 1 of 3 "reviews" and your sample size was really small

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I booked 4 jobs with a job average of $170 if memory serves. Also got two immediate referrals.
There is far more value than the immediate in my experience. I'll get offers redeemed for weeks and even months if I don't put an expiration date on it. I would never call it a failure, it got your name in front of someone and you are building brand while making enough off those that took advantage of the offer to fund the campaign.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They use bulk mailing that is actually addressed to the recepient and references the family's last name in the headline.
Bad thing is with it being bulk mail you have like a 3 week (or longer) delivery window, so it's harder to get timing right.
Again, to be clear, I did deal with some drawbacks in doing this, to the point where I'm not doing it anymore, but it can work well.
I've seen that and its cool but in my opinion they are look for the offer. Their name or no name if the offer is compelling they cut it out and call.

We've done the big ones but not the odd shaped. I think I'm going to mix the next drops with the regular and the elongated size.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Derek I don't really think its about you.........

just the fact that the claims made on the piece are questionable.

Think about it for a second............you are 1 of 3 "reviews" and your sample size was really small

I can understand that.

Yes it's a small sample size, but it doesn't mean it's not true. I've done different testing with that piece and have ranged from 0% ROI up to the 1 to 7. Obviously Piranha is going to use the best of the best to advertise with like we all do. When was the last time a cleaner posted a before and after pic of a job that came out just ok?

Piranha is what it is, I'm not going to defend them or degrade them, but one thing I personally wouldn't call them is unethical.

FredC

Village Idiot
I would just think there would be people who had great success with the piece, a larger sample size, and a verifiable data/better memory to choose from when creating the blurb for that piece. This isn't something new that they are doing. The "best of the best" shouldn't be a guy in MI that sent it out to 200 people...........

Edit: No offense meant...again its more about the piece itself

FredC

Village Idiot
I still don't understand how it is not a good fit for you now though given that the copy can be tweaked. What are you trying to convey to your customers that doesn't work using this format?

It would seem that the goals you stated are exactly what the piece is designed to achieve. :confusedd:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom