Notice It's been a while.....

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I'll add my 11 cents (to the original topic). Marty, just scroll on by, this is probably more than you want to read.

Circa 1976 I was a very young office machine repairman - typewriters, copiers, cash registers, Dictaphones (!) and such. I got a service call one day, the issue was light print, in fact some letters didn't show up at all. This was a common problem on IBM Selectrics (young folks may have to Google this), and the fix was simple. There was a little lever that moved the platen back, used for thick multi-part forms, otherwise the type would literally punch right through the paper. If the typist did a multi-part form and forgot to move the lever back the problem would show up when they switched back to single sheets of paper.

So, I walked in and she showed me the issue. Right away I spied the little lever in the wrong position, and reached over and flicked it back. Try it now! Sure enough the problem was solved.

Oh, is that all it was? Say, are you going to charge me for this? I called the boss and he said heck yes - you drove out there and fixed her problem, of course you're going to charge her! She was furious, but paid the bill.

A month or so I got another call (different office) that turned out to be the same issue. Can you fix it? I think so, let me have a look. I cleaned the platen with solvent, vacuumed out the paper chips and oiled a couple things that needed oil, and at some point I reached over and moved the lever back, not saying a word. Try it now. Perfect! Thank you so much! She happily paid the bill and I went on my way. I spent maybe 10 minutes there, but it made all the difference. It's all about perceived value. In most cases it takes little effort or time to create value in the customer's mind if you have that mindset going in. If you're charging a premium price then you should have a little extra time to do something to create perceived value in the customer's mind......

....like vacuuming maybe? :headbang:

Wake up Marty, I'm done....

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Good post Dan and true. That is Everything was good till................the conclusion.

No matter the level of denial or delusion here, vacuuming ain't it. Pure fiction.
Creating added value in the client's mind has very little to do with it. A little, but not much. There are ways that are ten times more effective to create that perception and cement a business relationship.

Mikey P

Administrator
More delusions

You fall under the "Oh the housekeeper vacuums every week" category of denial.

Followed by "I can't find a good helper so I don't have time"

Finished with "Nobody else in the area does it so why should I when I can dazzle them with my cute accent instead"

Did you know in most wool carpeted homes the maid uses a hard floor attachment? (pretend you didn't read that)

Reactions: Cleanworks

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Oh, for Chavez sake.
I'll grant you. Vacuuming was huge.

funny-kitten-cat-paws-air-this-big-pics.jpg

Reactions: Mark Saiger

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
So what happens the customer posts on facebook that burdicks service is half off if you just give resistance?

Without reading, the lower sun was probably accepted because alternatives like litigation/ brand harm, would more than likely been more costly but still don't like the 50 percent off.

Was it all because nobody vacuumed?

Mikey P

Administrator
So what happens the customer posts on facebook that burdicks service is half off if you just give resistance?

Without reading, the lower sun was probably accepted because alternatives like litigation/ brand harm, would more than likely been more costly but still don't like the 50 percent off.

Was it all because nobody vacuumed?

It was because John failed to let the guy know how hard he worked on the his furniture and rugs.

2.5 hours when obviously they were not dirty should have been countered with either more time spent (eat lunch, play cards) as well as a phone call telling him how hard they had to work on these very sensitive fabrics and while not perfect, we did our very best and hope your happy, we took extra measure to keep the skirts from shrinking and colors on the____ from bleeding ..so we'll be wrapping up in a bit thanks a ton and oh, we left the cushions on tarps to dry, so when you get home flip each one over so that the sides touching each other and the tarp get a chance to dry. Any questions? No, Ok thanks a bunch!

Reactions: dgardner

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'll add my 11 cents (to the original topic). Marty, just scroll on by, this is probably more than you want to read.

Circa 1976 I was a very young office machine repairman - typewriters, copiers, cash registers, Dictaphones (!) and such. I got a service call one day, the issue was light print, in fact some letters didn't show up at all. This was a common problem on IBM Selectrics (young folks may have to Google this), and the fix was simple. There was a little lever that moved the platen back, used for thick multi-part forms, otherwise the type would literally punch right through the paper. If the typist did a multi-part form and forgot to move the lever back the problem would show up when they switched back to single sheets of paper.

So, I walked in and she showed me the issue. Right away I spied the little lever in the wrong position, and reached over and flicked it back. Try it now! Sure enough the problem was solved.

Oh, is that all it was? Say, are you going to charge me for this? I called the boss and he said heck yes - you drove out there and fixed her problem, of course you're going to charge her! She was furious, but paid the bill.

A month or so I got another call (different office) that turned out to be the same issue. Can you fix it? I think so, let me have a look. I cleaned the platen with solvent, vacuumed out the paper chips and oiled a couple things that needed oil, and at some point I reached over and moved the lever back, not saying a word. Try it now. Perfect! Thank you so much! She happily paid the bill and I went on my way. I spent maybe 10 minutes there, but it made all the difference. It's all about perceived value. In most cases it takes little effort or time to create value in the customer's mind if you have that mindset going in. If you're charging a premium price then you should have a little extra time to do something to create perceived value in the customer's mind......

....like vacuuming maybe? :headbang:

Wake up Marty, I'm done....
This is the answer to the problem in this thread. I hope the Lesson is learned. Even the Lesson with the old fart tapping some hammer on the metal

Reactions: dgardner

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I totally disagree. If it was only light soiling and needed very little cleaning then to "me" it is wrong to charge for the full boat.

2.5 hours is not very much time spent on the job. I don't think wasting more time there doing nothing, is the right thing to do either. :eekk:

Charge whatever rate you want, I'm not saying you are too high, I'm saying you over charged for the services you delivered.

Its a fragile relationship we have with all our clients. They can choose to call someone else without breaking a contract. Burn one and he tells many other and creates a wave that attacks a reputation that took years to build.

Right or wrong this client feels wronged, I'd do what I could to fix the situation and repair whatever is wrong with the system so it doesn't happen again.

"You can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once" :errf:

Mikey P

Administrator
I was going to suggest that, but the Burdik's sound a lot like the Hicks in their adamant stance on their pricing...

"You can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once" :errf:...indeed...I learned that early on but not early enough for a few clients I lost over "Bulletin Board Pricing"

This particular dude doesn't sound like he was ever going to be a good long term customer but how many have they lost over these slam bam events that must occur frequently seeing how Meg showed us their $800 job average..

I had this very discussion with her in Atlanta when she told me they charge $3.00 a foot to clean and seal tile and grout. Sure people will try that once or every five or ten years but many people need their Travertine and other absorbent tiles cleaned as often as their carpet.
With those types of home we clean the floor for .50 (easier than carpet) and re seal with Cobbs (Dirt cheap and can be applied in seconds) for .30 to .40, or even less at times to promote more frequent cleanings) Why not since at .20 on carpet it's still great money.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Considering how many hours are actually spent on the job and how many air movers dehus etc are clocking in the $+$+$ while nobody actually works. How much per hour, really spent on the job working, does Chavez Resto make per hour?

I bet its Way wAY more than the mighty Burdicks.

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
So the one time makes the difference? Bull.
Still a job. Still a client. Still people want perceived and real value and to be treated fairly. So, if it is a one no repeat job, according to you, you may as well take them to the cleaners?

Each of their employees did 1 sofa, 7 back pillows, 1 chair, 1 throw rugs, half a mattress and a bunch of what they quote $3.00 each thingies. And it took 2 and a half hours each. A good clip but not unheard of. Some here do it a lot faster than that.

I remember very well how some favorite members here were telling how they do a large sectional in half an hour without much lash back. Interesting. Same information completely different response, I guess it depends on who its coming from.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
BTW the earlier assumption in this thread that we're speaking with jealousy- is completely untrue on my part.

It's still a ripoff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom